Can lemon extract and milk be used together in a glaze?

I was thinking of making a lemon-flavoured glaze. The glaze/icing recipe that I usually use consists of icing sugar, milk, and vanilla flavouring. If I replaced some or all of the vanilla with lemon extract, would that work? I’m wondering if the milk and the lemon extract in particular would work together.

When I do lemon (or any citrus for that matter) I go with lemon, lime or orange juice as the liquid instead of the milk and in addition to the extract. The glaze has a bit of color and sometimes I will zest some of the fruit for garnish. The orange is especially yummy over cinnamon rolls.

Thank you.

So the vanilla flavouring and the lemon extract will work together? And the resulting glaze (lemon extract, vanilla, plus icing sugar) won’t be too sour-tasting?

I’m thinking of using a lemon-flavoured glaze on lemon doughnuts, if it matters. And yes, I know lemon is an unusual flavour for a doughnut, but I might want to try something new.

Lemon glaze is powdered sugar, lemon juice, and generally some lemon zest. That’s it. No vanilla, no milk. There are about eleventy billion and 3 recipies online for lemon glaze and lemon icing. :slight_smile:

Thanks.
I could go looking for recipes online. I guess I was bent on using the icing sugar/milk/vanilla recipe because it doesn’t take a whole lot of time to set. Maybe I can look for a quick-setting lemon glaze recipe or something. Or try a few things out.

The lemon juice should set just as fast - its a liquid. Same as vanilla extraact and milk.

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Whisk together the milk and sugar until smooth. Whisk in the extract. Brush or pour over cooled pastry. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Thank you, SeaDragonTattoo. And everyone else in this thread.

To be clear, I don’t use vanilla in the citrus. You can get lemon, orange or lime extract or flavoring at the grocery in the spice aisle. :slight_smile:

Lemon juice makes milk curdle I believe.

Actually, I see now you said lemon extract, which isn’t as acidic. So maybe no curdling.

Lemon extract comes from lemon peel, not lemon pulp. It consists mainly of lemon oil, alcohol and water. It’s nowhere near as acidic as lemon juice, so it won’t cause milk to curdle.

Whether to use milk or citrus juice in the glaze depends on what effect you’re aiming for. If I were glazing a lemon cake I would use citrus juice. If I were glazing a carrot cake (for example) I would use milk.

I already have lemon extract and orange extract in my cupboard. They seem to be pretty widely available here.

One of my wife’s famous recipes is a lemon cookie or lemon cake glazed the way you’re describing, using lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar. Every single person who tastes it says “Oh wow! I love how tart this is. Usually these things are so sweet.”

So… it will be pretty sour-tasting, but that’s a feature, not a bug. Since the glaze is mixed with sugar, you can always add more sugar if your taste preferences call for that. Or thin the juice out with a little water. Still, her lemon cakes would be pretty forgettable except that sweet-sour pop you get from the glaze.

Mrs R took a cheesemaking 101 class at the local organic market, and it sounds like all you need to do to make cheese is add an acid to milk. So I think your proposed milk-and lemon glaze would end up being a primitive cheese instead. Which would be…interesting.

Again, lemon extract is not acidic. It’s made from lemon oil (from the peel), not lemon juice.