Das Boot remake? Seriously?

With the voting on the greatest war movie of all time, my vote went to Das Boot.

And of course, I stumbled onto this nugget:

:smack:

There are a number of movies which should never be remade. This is one of them.

It’s not that the new movie can’t be fantastic in its own right, especially with today’s CGI. But you don’t have to soil the original movie by remaking it. Just call it something else, give it a different plot, and wow us with the visuals.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me.
Das Boot is one of the best movies I have ever seen, war movie or otherwise. Leave the title/franchise alone.

Next, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly will be remade. And all will be lost.

With any luck, this remake will sink ignominiously into oblivion, as do most other remakes. I for one highly doubt any of my dollars will go to seeing it.

Well, it’ll be in development and pre-production for four or five years, and then the cinematography and score will be anachronistically modern, and they’ll heavy-handedly try to make it even more profound than the original…
So… a 2020s style depth raise.

Brilliant.

I came to post "Das Boot reboot? ", but yours is much better.

ALARRRRRM!!! ALARRRRRRM!!! :eek:

Ooh! I hope J. J. Abrams is on board!

:wink:

I know it’s virtually sacrilege to say this but . . . so what if they remake this, and the Godfather, and Gone with the Wind, and Name Your Favorite Film of All Time??

It’s not your money. It’s not your time. You don’t have to spend your money or time to see it, and it won’t prevent anyone from seeing the original. Really, so what if it totally sucks, it’s no skin off my nose? Nor yours.

People want to make money. And they want to tell stories. And they have a different way, with actors and actresses that speak to today’s audience in a way that they would like it to be told.

Gonna be extra awkward when they make the main characters American on this one.

I’m with spifflog though. I don’t really think a new film really “soils” the original, so I don’t really care if they remake it, though I doubt it’ll be worth seeing.

Especially with Das Boot, since with all the recuts, and directors cuts and miniseries and whatever, I’m not sure there is an original film.

…With at least one woman, one gay, and one member of each visible minority on board. Ach du Lieber! :smack:

I’m seeing Chris Pine as the new captain.

At least it’s the same German studio that made it in the first place. Hopefully that will spare us the tale of Der Alte Ben Stiller, having moral reservations, setting out to thwart their fellow uboats’ attempt at the allied convoy and rescuing Jennifer Aniston from the evil SS along the way.

I think the only way a remake could work is if they make it into a tv series long enough to explore more of the book.

Getting lens flare in a u-boat would be a challenge! But I’ll bet he could pull it off.

But the shaky-cam would be oh-so-easy.

Pretty simple, really. Tons of flare opportunities every time they:
open hatches during surfacing and submerging.
look through the periscope in daytime.
shoot the sub from outside and below as it crosses under the sun.
surface ships fire their naval guns.
their torpedoes explode with really flarey light.

Anybody remember the article in MAD Magazine where they contrasted movies made during and after WWII? Their U-boat Germans went from "Heil Hitler!" to “Ach, another beautiful Allied ship lost in this stupid, senseless war!”

I don’t recall who the evil Nazi captain in the first panel was, but the skipper in the second was (of course!) James Mason.

That would just be remaking operation petticoat.

Declan

Don’t forget the Jewish executive officer.

This time the film will focus on the American captain of the British destroyer hunting the U-boat. The U-boat captain will be the same one who torpedoed the Lusitania, killing the American’s parents.

In a strange twist of fate both the American captain and U-boat commander will be in love with the same girl they met in while on leave in Casablanca before the war.

The American captain will be played by Brad Pitt.

Or when Tony Curtis smiles.

Oy, vay! I’m such a shlemiel! :smack:

What would Great-grandma Matkevich back in Austria–Hungary say? :frowning: