Das Boot remake? Seriously?

No comments about the film or proposed remake, but I feel the need to mention that the double O in German is always pronounced like a long O in English. Always. The German word Boot, meaning “boat,” is pronounced just like the English word “boat” and not like the English word “boot.” It always bugs me to hear native English speakers do that.

Not according to Google Translate.

Sounds more like ‘boort’ (with only a tiny hint of the ‘r’ sound).

It won’t prevent people from seeing the original, strictly, but it will make it possible for some people–even accidentally–to end up missing the masterpiece for the imitation. And that would be a shame.

It is according to all my German professors back in uni.

Who exactly is forcing you to see the remake?

And how does it have any effect whatsoever on the original? Does the original suddenly vanish once a new film is made?

Did you click on “Dutch” rather than “German”? :dubious: :confused:

Masterpieces also have a way of fading into obscurity once a remake comes out. Ocean’s 11 is a prime example: I’m willing to bet that at least 80% of those who saw the remake have no fucking idea that a version with Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack came out more than 50 years ago!

Maybe, but what about Spiderman? We really need another remake of Spiderman.

Oh, and Jurassic Park.

To subtle for me. Am I being wooshed?

The greatness of Das Boot (if you watch a longer version) is that you get so invested in the lives of the crew over the course of the 6 hours you watch them. I just don’t see any modern production being willing to produce a film of that length. Heck, technically they didn’t allow it even when they made the original film and it was only through applied pressure over time that we got the full, best version.

So, knowing that, it’s basically impossible for someone to make a better version. It’s not my money that’s going into making the thing, but what a waste.

They were wrong. German word for boat is das Boot - YouTube

All kidding aside, Hollywood surely respects the earlier work too much to do that.

By which I mean Brad Pitt has to be second-in-command to George Clooney, who squares off against U-boat commander Andy Garcia for the love of Julia Roberts.

I think remakes of excellent movies are a waste of resources that could be spent on original ideas, that the remake exists is not an issue; it’s that there are only a limited number of big budget productions every 12 months.

So who would they cast for the remake of, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly?

Maybe make it a space opera and cast Nathan Fillion as Blondie?

[being whooshed or not] I’m willing to bet that 80% of those guys wouldn’t ever seen an “old” movie even if they knew it. I mean if you were plugged into Sinatra in the 50s, how many 30s movies were you going to see? Not many I’d bet.

Movies from the '30s, '40s, and '50s were still being shown regularly on TV well into the '80s. Hell, I was born in 1955, and I grew up watching Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracey, et al.

Long after I graduated from high school, they would still show the original Ocean’s 11 at least once a year, on local if not network TV. It may not be the world’s greatest work of art, but it’s an okay heist flick and was popular a lot longer than many of the films that have come and gone since.

No one born after about 1968 realizes just how cool Sinatra and his gang were back then. JFK actually came to Vegas to see them when they were filming the movie, and they acted as though they were jesters at his court. It was a great symbiotic relationship until Frank and Jack had their falling out.

Would they DARE call it “Das Re-Boot”?

Is it just me or am I the only one who didn’t really like the film?

To me, this is like the multiple Carrie, Psycho, or Amityville Horror remakes. If I don’t care about the first version, I’m just ho hum on the remake…not likely to even try to watch it.

Do you really think that without the new ocean’s 11, people would still be watching the original? If anything, more people have seen the original BECAUSE it was remade, for the people that never heard of it until they saw the remake and wanted to see the original.

Das Boot has a great soundtrack, I hope the remake gives us another great one.