Just bought pair o' belly-to-belly spreadeagled dried bat lizards on a stick. What are they? [pix]

See subject:

Went to Chinatown to buy mushrooms at a specialty dried everything store, saw a basket of them, and at $6.80 a stick I couldn’t say no.

What is it/are they? What do you do with it, besides leave it on the dining room table for your wife to find it when she comes home from shul?

Save them for about 57 days?

Are they even kosher? Because if they’re not, this is why the dietary laws were written.

However, that is a gorgeous tomato.

As usual, following GQ tradition, an OP was posted with potential Talmudic discussion on Friday night.

Just going to have to wait…

Why did you buy them? Impulse?

They might go well with a peanut sauce.

I would have thought it was prep for these…

“BBQ bat on a stick. One of these little buggers gave me my worst case of feverish food poisoning to date. I think I’ll pass next time.”

Sauce: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/bucho_ky/vagabonding-food.html

Just change the d to an f, and search again. (Fried, not dried)

You could use them as home decor to bolster your image as the “neighborhood kook”? I mean, if that’s an image you’re trying to establish. You may not be. IDK. :relaxed:

It’s a Tokay Gecko. According to this article, they are sold at the medicine counter as an aphrodisiac. So better eat it quick before your wife comes home.

Here’s more about the use of Tokay Geckos from a site on Chinese medicine. (Of course, none of the supposed treatments have been proven effective.)

I still think you should eat it.

Dried gecko is my guess.

You rock!

Yep, dried geckos. I accidentally ordered them once when I was trying to order kudzu root. Dried geckos are Ge Jie, and kudzu root is Ge Gen. Brain fart. (Guess I should have ordered some Yin Xing Ye.)

Kept them around the office for a while as mascots, until my boss got disgusted and threw them out. No sense of humor, that one.

Moved them to kitchen.

Hasn’t seen them yet.

Moved them to the kitchen so we could eat.

You know, a 20-something was behind the register when I bought my stuff, she spoke not a syllable of English, but she was so amused when I sign languages "Huh? Good? (While pointing to my mouth, holding the stick sort of over it like a shishkebab, and then rubbing my tummy with Mmm Mmm sounds. What a maroon…

The gecko is so beautiful when it’s not dried spreadeagled and nailed to a stick.

• off to see if geckos are lizards or what *

Are they flayed and the skin spread out, or do they have gliding skin?

Yep. That live one in the picture you posted looks A-tokay to me.

They’re reptiles and lizards, yes. It might be more useful to say they’re sauropsids and squamates, because that better reflects the extended family tree which connects them to all other life on Earth and demonstrates common descent.

They are eviscerated and then spread out. They don’t have gliding skin like the flying dragon Draco volans.

Might as well bite them before they can bite you. They’re hardly dangerous, but for sheer pugnacity ounce-for-ounce nothing tops a Tokay. I’ve been chomped on by plenty of lizards without twitching an eyebrow, but I admit Tokay Geckos intimidate me just a tad - they always seem to be spoiling for a fight ;).

Yikes.
I see those every now and then here. I thought they were cute… not any more.

A bouquet of them would be great for Halloween.

:slight_smile:

But credit goes to Colibri for the ID/photo. I don’t think there’s an unknown critter posted here yet he hasn’t identified. He’s the Shazam of the animal kingdom.

Tokay is the name (region?) of the famous sweet wine of Hungary–the perfect elixir.

God that bird picture is horrible. More than many other animal takedowns I’ve seen before.

Best party favor ever.

“Don’t tokay that bat, my friend, pass it over to me…”