Trying a slow-cooker machaca recipe

I’m trying a new machaca recipe, as shown in this YouTube video. (Click on ‘show more’ for the text recipe.) I got it on at eight o’clock (about 45 minutes ago), so it should be ready by four or five and we can eat it whenever we get hungry. The only piece of chuck roast at the supermarket was five pounds, but I kept the rest of the ingredients as listed. Mrs. L.A. doesn’t like things too hot, and it has twice the chipotle chiles I put in my chipotle-cheddar cornbread.

Burritos for dinner tonight.

You will love it.

That same recipe showed up in my FB feed and I cooked for family dinner night last Sunday. It was a great hit - especially with the fresh made tortillas I found.

That’s where I found it. :wink:

The Missus said, ‘That meat smells spicy.’ I’d tasted the sauce after about an hour of cooking, and it might be too spicy for her. If it is, she can put beans in her burrito to attenuate it.

I did make an error. The recipe says to cook on Low. I cooked on High. I should get in there and shred the meat soon.

(adds item to list of “foods to look up when I get a chance”)

Update: I shredded the beef and mixed it back into the sauce. It has some heat, but I don’t think it’s too much for The Wife.

I think our wives might be twins :slight_smile:

(If you ever need fresh tortillas, I get mine at Central Market in Shoreline)

I made a burrito with machaca, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped onions, Mexican-cheese-fromma-bag, and sour cream. It was very good. Not hot enough to work up a sweat.

I don’t know everything Mrs. L.A. put in hers. I do know she had machace, refried beans, and cheese. She said it was not too hot, but she worried about getting a chipotle seed stuck in her throat. It did make her sweat a little. She commented on how tender the beef is.

I think this one’s a winner.

I also recommend these beans instead of refried.

I may as well post the recipe instead of making people click on it.

Ingredients:

• 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast
  • 4 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce - Chopped
  • 5 Cloves Garlic - Chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
  • 3 tsp Oregano
  • 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
  • 1/2 Cup Beef Broth
  • 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup (fresh) Lime Juice
  • 3 Bay Leaves
  • Salt
  • Pepper
    Cut the Roast into approximately six to eight large chunks. Season well with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the beef chunks (in batches if necessary) on all sides until browned. Transfer seared meat to slow cooker.

In a medium bowl combine chopped chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, beef broth, vinegar, lime juice, and additional salt and pepper (to taste). Mix well, then pour over beef in the slow cooker and add bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until meat shreds easily.

Remove bay leaves. Remove and shred beef. Return beef to slow cooker to marinate at least 10 more minutes, or until ready to serve. Great on nachos, tacos, and burritos.

Have this cooking right now, should be done by 6 or so.

Smells excellent.

How was it?

Turned out great. I’ve eaten more burritos in the last couple days than I care to admit. A keeper recipe for sure.