Mountain Ranges

Do you live in or near mountain ranges? What mountain ranges are in your area? I live near many mountain ranges here in Southern California. There are many large hills in my own town but the closest thing to real mountains in my nearby vicinity is my local stretch of the coast range which I can see out my back door (provides some beautiful sunsets). These are called the Santa Ana Mountains which range from about 1600’ to the south near Temecula all the way to 5617’ Santiago Peak (also called Saddleback Mountain) over by Corona to the north. Most of this range can be driven past on I-!5. The second closest range is the Agua Tibia mountains which slope down like a human foot just south of Temecula to the south which also contain a foothill over 5000 feet in elevation. But if you go an hour to the northeast, east, or northwest you find some real snow-capped ranges. To the northwest is the San Gabriel mountains which slope west all the way to Los Angeles. They contain 10,064 foot Mt. Baldy. To the east, the closest true mountains are the San Jacinto range which contain Mt. San Jacinto which is 10, 804 feet high and Tahquitz Peak, I don’t know the exact height for that one but around 7,600 feet. Both are prominent peaks in this local region and can be seen from almost anywhere within a 40 mile radius or so. To the northeast is the San Bernardino mountains which peak at 11,499 foot Mt. San Gorgonio, the highest peak in all of Southern California. Its higher than Mt, Hood in Oregon and actually has a glacier at the top. Its said on a clear day you can see Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountains, Los Angeles, the Pacific Ocean, and Mexico from the top. It is also a prominent peak in our area.

I can see Denali from my neighborhood. I have an excellent view of the Chugach Mountain Range from 3/4 of the rooms in my house.

Oh, Cool! Now Denali’s a mountain!

I used to live in L.A. (City of), and the Antelope Valley - which is in L.A. County. Had the San Gabriels and others, plus the Tehachapis.

Now I can see Mt. Baker from my house. It doesn’t erupt, though.

To the East, the Cascades; to the west, the Olympics; to the North, Mt Baker; to the South, Mt Rainer. (To the NW, if you look carefully, Johnny LA’s house :wink: )

It makes me so happy to see snow covered peaks at all four points on the compass. Where I live in Bellevue, we’re maybe a couple of hundred feet above sea level

Sierra Nevada, Baby!

I live a few miles from the Continental Divide. The mountains aren’t so tall right here (about 3,000 feet) but on a clear day you can see both the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I used to live in Boulder, Colorado, right on the Front Range of the Rockies.

(Sheldon Cooper voice) Now, here’s an interesting fact. The San Gabriel range is one of the few in the continental US that is an west/east range. Nearly all mountain ranges are north/south. The Uintas in eastern Utah are another west/east range.

So are the San Bernardino which are a little closer to me than the San Gabriel.

I grew up in the Adirondacks and I used to live in the Catskills. But there’s no mountains around me now. The Alleghenys are the closest mountains and they’re at least fifty miles away.

I live at 11,200 feet about 1/2 mile from the continental divide (Central Colorado) I’m pretty much surrounded by Fourteeners (14 thousand foot peaks.) Mt Lincoln and Mt Bross (both Fourteeners) are right across the valley from me. Their summits are about 2 miles away as the crow flies.

I live right smack in the middle of the Green Mountains.

I live just south of Denver, so the Rockies are a constant, beautiful, feature. A good hour’s drive away, but still beautiful, even from afar.

On my drive to work I get to see Mt. Rainier and the Olympic range. If I drive the other direction I can often see Mt. Baker. The Cascades are visible on any trip to Seattle (weather permitting, of course).

I wish! I love the mountains and the ocean but I probably will never live there within them, on them, by them, next to or nothing! You are all lucky ducks!

I probably live in a region with a point at least fourth furthest land distance away from a mountain of any region on earth, if not higher. Possibly there are places in the Sahara or the Amazon or Canada where you’d have to drive further to get to a mountain but I’m not sure.

Snuggled between the Olympics and the Cascades. I can see Mount Rainier from the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Sounds like you’re up on Hillside somewhere. I sure miss that view. Our home in Anchorage had a southern exposure and our view was of the Chugach Mountains. From Flat Top you could see all the way to Denali and the Alaska Range, as well as all the volcanoes marching southwest toward the Aleutians.

Now we live between the Cascades and the Oregon Coastal Range. On clear days we can see Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens from our low elevation.

That’s sad. :frowning:

It’s as sad as not being near salt water.

This thread reminds me of an anomaly I’ve noticed lately. Some map sites, MS but also some others, has decided to label various areas near us as being part of a mountain range. Hah!

In the whole region there’s nothing remotely mountain-like per my PNW roots.

So for example, yesterday Mrs. FtG and I “climbed” to the supposed ridge of this “mountain range” during our afternoon walk. It doesn’t even qualify as a hill in other parts of the country.