The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-28-2001, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

There's in article in Friday's Washington Post re footless pantyhose, and now pantyhose cut off just below the knee. It says in part "The wearer supposedly looks slimmer, more toned, and without an unsightly panty line." (I'd put in a link but don't know how - why isn't that in FAQ?)

Now, putting aside the issue of footless and lower legless pantyhose (which I can't imagine wearing no matter what), my question concerns the VPL (visible panty line). I've seen references before about the VPL and how undesirable it is, but I never worried about mine because I figured that men, in general, LIKE a VPL because it's, well, hmmmm, subtly suggestive of what's NOT showing. I have a theory that this is yet another marketing device - convincing women that their "look" will be ruined if they have a visible panty line. So guys, what do you say - like the VPL or not?
Advertisements  
Old 07-28-2001, 01:48 PM

For me it depends on the woman...if she's slim and has a good figure with a slim attractive rear, I find it quite erotic. If she's not, then ugh.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

It's good if it's a thong (In my opinion anyhow). What's even better is a pair of drawstring pants with a little bit of the thong showing...wife isn't a huge thong fan so we go one step up by her not wearing panties.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Uh,a thong doesn't have a VPL. The VPL refers to the elastic of the legs of the panty, not the waist.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Well I'm not exactly up on womans underwear. The kind that's about 2 inches wide on the back and not much larger in the front...
Old 07-28-2001, 08:01 PM
Sith Mod

Visible Panty Line: Brought to you by Big Advertising. "Manufacturing your insecurities since 1948."

Ugh. These are the same people who have spent the last thirty years convincing women that men lust after flat chested, hipless androgynes. Meanwhile, an entirely different set of advertisers have been convincing men to fetishize comically mal-apportioned women like Pamela "My breasts are so big they affect the tides" Anderson. Well, I suppose this is one way of fighting over-population.

Re-reading this in Preview, it sure sounds like I just got a new thesaurus, doesn't it?

BTW, mark me down as one guy who think VPL is kinda sexy.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:23 PM

Ditto on the sexy.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

They're a part of my everyday life. Not a day goes by that I don't check out somebody's VPL.

I even wanted to start a website dedicated to them, but it's not really the same in still images as it is in real life, so I didn't.

Another good thing is when a woman is crouching down, exposing the top of the back of her panties peeking over her jeans.

(It occurs to me that I may not get invited to a Dopefest now that I've admitted this...)
Old 07-28-2001, 10:10 PM

As a woman, I think it looks sloppy.

That's why I don't wear panties.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:45 AM

I've found them to be interesting and amusing...... anything that draws the eye to a nice butt can't be all bad. Especially since a VPL usually indicates tight pants, to begin with.

However, I must admit that it's much more erotic to expect to see a VPL, and then NOT see one.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:13 AM

VPL is OK if your clothes aren't so tight, and your body fighting them enough, that there are fat rolls on either side. Just seeing panties isn't a problem, only when the skin seems to be pinched.
Old 07-29-2001, 10:55 AM

I don't like VPL, myself. If the pants are so tight that I can see all but the pattern of the panties, it's time to wear a thong or go commando. If it's pants or a skirt that show no lines except for when bending over or squatting down, that's a different story.

Same with guys with tucked in shirts. If your shirt hem can be seen through the pants, wear an "outside" shirt, or get bigger pants.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I think it's just not a big deal for many women and most men, and that it is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. But others here are right about "it depends..." On the size and shape of the woman. BTW, mayberrydan, I think you're taking "visible" literally. I'm referring to the impression (the "line") the elastic in the leg holes makes on clothes that are tight or clingy.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:55 AM

VPL = yum
Old 07-29-2001, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone besides me remember the commercial for Underalls pantyhose? It showed the magical Underalls flying about, and lighting upon the asses of various women, thus making them free of the dreaded panty line. The big catch phrase was "C'mon, America, show us YOUR Underalls!)

That irked the daylights out of me, implying that it was the patriotic duty of every American woman to present an ass in tight clothing, wrinkle free and free of any visible panty line.

I STILL haven't bought any of the damned things.

--- Lib
(who REALLY knows how to hold a grudge)
Old 07-29-2001, 12:21 PM

The "dreaded" VPL is more like a frame in my mind. It shows off what we all know is there anyway.
You last visited: 12-28-2003 at 03:01 PM
Old 07-29-2001, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I do remember that commercial - that may have been the first time I was made aware that VPL was a "problem" for women. Well, not for me.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:56 PM

Good question. Truth be told, if the VPL is showing a slimmer set of panties, I'm all for it. If it's showing some large set (not a weight issue, but a spread per ratio of behind) of "purely functional" panties, then I'm not getting anything out of it. I don't sit there and mock the person, but I'm not getting interested in seeing big ole cotton "I wear them because they're comfortable, not to please men" underwear advertised. Which mainly seems to be the VPL's you see.

I will agree that the jean/underwear peek described above is a good thing.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GuanoLad
Another good thing is when a woman is crouching down, exposing the top of the back of her panties peeking over her jeans.
Finally, there's someone who shares my fetish.
I absolutely love that, too! Is there a group for guys like us?

VPL can be a good thing, when the panties in question are on the right woman. Entirely subjective, I know. And I have to add I LOVE to see a thong on a woman. I have to disagree with someone above: a thong can TOO have VPL's. The pants or skirt covering it have to be tight enough and/or light/transparent enough. But it happens, and it is GOOD.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:17 PM

Different Preference

Personally, I'm way more turned on by a visible intellect than I am by a VPL.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm...I think I'm the one who implied a thong wouldn't have a VPL, but only because I thought mayberrydan misunderstood the question; I see your point coldfire -- I know men like thongs, and I even have a couple but rarely wear them. Don't know if I could ever get used to it - how would you like YOUR underwear stuck in your butt crack?
Old 07-29-2001, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Thank you hairy. But I suggest to you that something besides intellect attracts you first.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:43 PM

Imma pig

You are correct, Sycorax. If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that I am a pig.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Upon Furthur review my first post was kinda unclear. I did mean that I liked the VPL of a thong - as well as having part of it show.

Should probably learn to organize my thoughts a little better.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:01 PM

I'm definitely pro-VPL. With so much of women's fashions being form-fitting, a VPL is almost unavoidable. And I'll have to agree with GuanoLad and Coldie: a visible waistband is always nice as well.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:28 AM

There is nothing...I repeat, NOTHING worse than VPL where the panties are so tight and the butt cheeks so large that the wearer appears to have four buttocks...
Old 07-30-2001, 02:45 AM

If it's a nice ass, I don't care if it's got VPL or not.
If it's fat, VPL will make it worse.

I'm gonna go grunt and drink some beer now.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:49 AM
BANNED

Cute-ass+cute-undies=cute VPL. Other combinations may or may not be appealing, but I don't find anything annoying about it.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:37 AM

Panty lines are fine. I never did understand the "problem" with panty lines. If I don't see panty lines, then I figure the lady in question is not wearing any at all.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:24 AM

I personally prefer it when the panty line is visible because the woman is wearing a short skirt and bends over.

But that's probably just me.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

That's okay hairy - ALL men are pigs, right? But then women can be too. But after the VPL, or cute ass, or hair, or face, or eyes, or whatever, a visible intellect is a must for me -- you gotta talk sometime!
Old 07-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

That's okay hairy - ALL men are pigs, right? But then women can be too. But after the VPL, or cute ass, or hair, or face, or eyes, or whatever, a visible intellect is a must for me -- you gotta talk sometime!
Old 07-31-2001, 12:15 AM

Heh, I don't care much about having VPL unless it's the dreaded sweat lines that are common when the recipient happens to be wearing a thong and tight volleyball uniform shorts. It always accentuates exactly what kind of underwear you're wearing, and it's sometimes a little embarassing when guys are staring at your ass because there's a V across your ass.
At least I'm not hung up on the fact that when I sit down, my underwear often shows, especially if it's a thong.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:21 AM

Undesirable? The VPL is the most desirable thing on Earth. Nothing more sexy than a woman bending over in white pants with a sexy VPL.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:33 AM

The VPL serves two vital functions.

#1 It provides a lovely outline of a sexy bottom.

OR

#2 It provides the only visible distinction between buttocks and thighs.

Either way, I am compelled by nature to gawk.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:33 PM

I'm with Guano and Coldfire..seeing the VPL is making me think 'panties' rather than whatever the exterior garment is...but seeing the actual top of the panties exposed as described by Guanolad...whooaaaa..yowza!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:37 PM

I'm with Guano and Coldfire..seeing the VPL is making me think 'panties' (this is good!) rather than whatever the exterior garment is...but seeing the actual top of the panties exposed as described by Guanolad...whooaaaa..yowza!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:39 PM

Please forgive the double post. Grrrrr!!!
Old 07-31-2001, 02:50 PM

An important lesson my Dad taught me many years ago, when he was teaching me to play cards: "If you hold your cards where I can see them, I'm gonna look."

I love looking. Don't always love what I see, but it's nice to have the option. This falls in with a whole set of neat things, particularly in spring/summer:

slit skirts in mild breezes
light skirts with no slips underneath
looking down a woman's cleavage when I'm going down the stairs and she's going up
seeing other things when I'm going up...
Old 07-31-2001, 02:58 PM

What darian00 said:

Quote:
For me it depends on the woman...if she's slim and has a good figure with a slim attractive rear, I find it quite erotic. If she's not, then ugh.
On the right range (and it's a fairly broad range, at that) of shapes, a VPL will get and rivet my attention better and longer than the sheer blouse/bra combo.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM

Visible panty lines - yes/no? Yes!!!

Visible panty lines are hot - especially on hot girls. If a girl/lady/woman isn't exactly hot -- it is still hot if they have vpl's. Lets not discriminate here folks. At least they are trying.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm neutral on visible panty lines. In general, I'm neither excited nor offended by them.

But there are a lot of women out there who are wearing panties (and bras) that are several sizes too small for them and have flesh oozing out all around. Obviously, they are also wearing outer clothes that are too small for me to notice their undergarments.

If you're in average shape - and there are different standards for 20 and 40 year olds - then I don't care whether I know you're wearing underwear. In fact, I would prefer that you are, unless you're my date and are wearing a skirt.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM

zombie or no

wearing clothes is bad enough; that's just making it worse.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM

I guess it's somewhat interesting to see if views have changed in the past 11+ years.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM

My preference runs from "don't care" to "Yeah ok, I'll look at that."

Except on zombies. I don't tend to check out undead chicks. I'm kinda traditional that way.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM

I don't find the panty line distracting. But I do understand that for a woman it's often a matter of esthetics - appearance for itself, distinct from what people think of you.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm quite fond of VPL, but am careful to acknowledge that another person's underwear is not my business, so I'm not about to criticize on the basis of underwear.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Woman here. I used to be fat, am now thin. I'm very surprised that the men seem to think it no big deal.

I think of a VPL (on my hips/bum) as a sartorial sin. A VPL is like having your underskirt hanging out from under your skirt, or like wearing something inside out, or wearing stained clothing. It looks unkempt and dorky, and not in a good way.

So I do my best to wear tight shapewear over my comfy granny panties to combat the VLP. And those suckers are warm, expensive, and not always comfortable. So I'm tricked into wearing those? Huh.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 AM

Pretty much
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 AM

"All Women are naked under their clothes" Tim Allen

A VPL can be a pleasant reminder of that fact, so are a ton of other things.

Thanks Ladies

I endorse this message

Capt