Babybell.net DSL III: STMP Harder

If you didn’t view the shriek-producing original or the terrifying sequel, well, you can still appreciate this new horror story on its own merits, but the critics may advise you to click for historicity’s sake…
*** Ahunter composes a new message in Eudora. Cue ominous music as the paragraph gets longer. Slow slow zoom in to the “Send” button. Here comes the mouse…CLICK! Beep! “SMPT server says 550 – Relaying denied” ** *

After several quick checks to make sure I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, and a couple of retries yielding the same result, I call the evil babybell (Verizon, formerlly BellAtlantic, if you’re morbidly curious).

DSLIdjit: “DSL telephone number you’re calling about?”
Ahunter3: “012-345-6789”
DSLIdjit: “Your name?”
Ahunter3: “ahunter3”
DSLIdjit: “Verify your email address?”
Ahunter3: “The main email address I put down as my primary contact address? Or the one that comes free with the DSL service that I said all along I would probably never use?”
DSLIdjit: “The main contact address”
Ahunter3: “ahunter3@differentISP.net
DSLIdjit: “And your home address?”
Ahunter3: “100 East Main Street, City”
DSLIdjit: “And the number you’re currently calling from?”
Ahunter3: “123-456-7890”
DSLIdjit: “Mother’s cousin’s dog’s maiden name?”

…etc…

DSLIdjit: “OK and how may I help you today?”
Ahunter3: “I’m getting an error 550 when I try to send email out from my non-babybell account when connected to the babybell DSL. I’ve been able to do this previously without problem. Did y’all change something recently?”
DSLIdjit: “Let’s look at your settings. Right click “My Computer” and go to the…”
Ahunter3: “I’m on a Mac” {yeah, ten thousand questions before letting me ask one and they didn’t ask what platform…}
DSLIdjit: “Oh, uh…um, OK, go to your Outlook Preferences…”
Ahunter3: “I’m using Eudora”
DSLidjit: “Oh, well we don’t support Eudora. We only support Outlook and Netscape email.”
Ahunter3: “That’s OK, all I really need to know is–did Verizon change policy or configuration settings in such a way that I can no longer use my other ISP’s SMTP and POP servers to send and receive otherISP email when my internet connection is over your DSL service? And, if so, what do I put in for SMTP server?”
DSLIdjit: “I can’t help you because we don’t support Eudora”
Ahunter3: “Uh, the answers would be the same if I were using Eudora or Netscape.”
DSLIdjit: “Sir, I can tell you what to type in the blanks if you are using Microsoft Outlook or Netscape email, but since you are using Eudora I can’t help you.”

…rinse lather repeat for 20 minutes before I get her to transfer me to a supervisor who, to my great fortune, knows what an SMTP server is…

DSLSuper: "Oh yeah, you can’t do that any more, too many spammers.
Ahunter3: “I understand. So what ought I to put as the SMTP server to use Verizon’s?”
DSLSuper: “Put ‘smtpout.bellatlantic.net’, that should work”
Ahunter3: “Thanks! I really appreciate it!”

** BUT TWO WEEKS LATER…**

*** Ahunter is again composing a new message in Eudora. Cue ominous music as the paragraph gets longer. Slow slow zoom in to the “Send” button. Here comes the mouse…CLICK! Beep! “SMPT server says 550 – Relaying denied” ** *

DSLIdjit: “OK and how may I help you today?”

…etc for the initial interrogation routine…

Ahunter3: “I’m using ‘smtpout.bellatlantic.net’ for my SMTP server and trying to send email out of my otherISP email account and I’m getting an error 550, relaying denied…been working for a couple weeks since you folks changed your restrictions, did you change them again?”
DSLIdjit: “Please go to your Outlook Preferences…”
Ahunter3: “Uh…mm, yeah, do I correctly understand that you do not support email clients other than Outlook and Netscape?”
DSLIdjit: “That’s right”
Ahunter3: “OK, let’s, um, work from Netscape, I don’t have Outlook.”

::launches Netscape Navigator version 3.0, latest version I own that contains the built-in email client::

Ahunter3: "OK, I’ve got a space for POP Server, SMTP Server, username, email address. My verizon username is…

::looks it up::

Ahunter3: “Verizonuser, the POP Server is mail.otherISP.net…”
DSLIdjit: “No, your POP Server should be mailbox.verizon.net

…45 minute explanation of how a person can have more than one email account, and why one would want to send out email addressed from account one while connected to the internet with DSL service provided by a different provider…

Ahunter3: “So…what I want to know is, have you folks changed things so that I can no longer send my otherISP mail when my connection is via Verizon?”
DSLIdjit: “Sir, you’d have to ask otherISPcompany about that”
Ahunter3: “Um, I’m not having trouble sending or receiving otherISP email when I’m using their dial-up modem connection, and until a couple weeks ago I had no trouble sending from the Verizon DSL connection either. I doubt that the problem lies with otherISPcompany”
DSLIdjit: “Let’s try changing your password”

:rolleyes:

It only took two days, four phone calls, seven techs, and the unnecessary creation of a whole new Eudora profile for the Verizon email account that I don’t use and have never used, but I can now send and receive my email again.

I accept that there are sometimes reasons for changing things (like placing restrictions on the circumstances under which one can access services due to abuse by spammers), and I accept that changes on the ISP’s end may require changes on my end. But why the fuck can’t I get a tech who knows email when I make a fucking tech support phone call? I really hate this shit!

Look, you connect-the-dots recipe-following coloring-book challenged low-bandwidth standard procedure sycophants, you’re selling a service–a connection with a standard set of protocols which work in standard ways–for which a range of expectations are reasonable. I’m paying for “internet”, which was specifically adverised as including hyptertext transfer protocol, email services, news, along with unrestricted access to other protocols running over TCP that don’t require a dedicated server on your end.

Email services conventionally include the capacity to send, the capacity to receive, the capacity to pass file attachments (at least up to a certain size), the ability to have one’s incoming email stored (at least for a certain duration and/or up to a certain maximum total size) until accessed by the local machine, and so on.

They work in conventional ways. Users have a user ID and they utilize a server for sending email and a server for receiving their incoming email.

It works that way for Netscape. It works that way for Outlook. And listen, you 3-watt dimbulb cross-threaded unsocketed burnt-out pretender in the 60-watt socket, it works that way for Eudora (which is merely the #2 stand-alone email client worldwide), for Claris Emailer, for Lotus ccMail, for Mail.app on OS X, for SMTP and POP plug-ins for FileMaker Pro, probably even for the fucking SirCam virus.

I hope you have to walk home in a rainstorm getting your pants splashed by passing cars when your Ford runs out of gas after the full-service gas station attendant refuses to sell you any gas because they only support GM vehicles.

Oh that would be beautiful! Soon, the big auto companies will be making deals with the big petroleum companies to put fragrants into the gas that could be detected at the time of filling. If the car smelled the wrong fragrant, you would get a little light on your dashboard and a message would be sent to some CS office, earning you a repremand and a warning for daring to put the wrong gas, lubricant, radiator fluid, and/or wiper fluid in your vehicle. After so many warnings, an ignition lockout is enabled and you have to rebuy your automobile.

Automakers will lock their hoods shut so only certain service stations will be able to fix your car. (A la Macintosh’s nonstandard screw heads (or has that changed?).)

Open-Hood Automobiles and the Free Car Foundation will have to bring rationality back to the scene.

This paranoid fantasy brought to you by Derleth.

I understand the “no relay” thing. ISPs don’t want to allow e-mail relaying for just anyone, and Verizon is probably just slowly plugging up all of their relaying holes. That sounds like what’s happening here, anyway. Whenever you switch between your dial-up and DSL connections, you’re going to also have to change your SMTP server in Eudora. That’s just the way it is.

And it’s useless getting pissed off at the tech support rep.; they’re just doing what they’ve been told to do. The problem usually lies with the lack of communication between engineering and the tech support department. The system admins may change something on the servers and fail to tell anyone about it, then customers call asking why something has stopped working, and the tech support rep. has no clue.

Anyway, Verizon sucks. Everyone knows that. :smiley:

Derleth sez:

They’re WAY ahed of you. The Audi A2 has a service panel that gives you access to the fluid refill nozzles and the dipstick, nothing else.

The rest is for authorized workshops only…

S. Norman

There is an exhaustive discussion of this at Macintouch

Agreed. Well, sort of. Since it is Eudora, I add it to the list and select from the list on “send” rather than having to change the damn thing.

Anyway…all I ask is to be clued in to what they’ve changed the SMTP server to when they change it! Or, in this case, to be informed when Verizon decides they will no longer allow outgoing email if the “From:” header is different from the user id string sent to the SMTP server to authorize sending mail – which they just did, along with changing the names of both POP servers and SMTP servers, thank you very much…the old POP server string would still work for obtaining incoming email, but the old SMTP server would not.

Now in order to send outgoing email from my regular (non-Verizon) email account, I actually have to send from Verizon account (never before used) with a Reply-to header that points responses back at the regular account. And just in case somone manually copies the “From:” header, I went ahead and set up a profile for the Verizon account, so I’m pulling in any (hypothetical) email sent to that account as well. One more check to yet another POP server. Oh well.

I don’t mind any of this so much as I mind having to spend two days on the phone with people who are not only ignorant about what their techie engineers are doing (which as OneChance points out isn’t necessarily their fault) but are too stupid to understand the questions in the first place.

You didn’t say the magic words: “Let me talk to someone else, like your supervisor” or “Give me level two support, please.” If I get someone who just refuses to pass me along to someone with a clue, I usually just say “I am a CNE and MCSE (actually I’m not a CNE anymore, since I never recertified after 1996, but the tech support dodo doesn’t know this) and I don’t have time to listen to your lame attempts to solve my problem that are doing nothing but wasting my time. Please get someone on the line that can tell me what is really going on.” Please note that profanity is counter-productive in these cases, tempting as it may be.

Verizon could care less about relaying. If they did, they’d close outbound port 25 connections, and just allow connections to their SMTP server from addresses in their IP block. Rather, what they are trying to do is force customers to switch web and site hosting to Verizon for hosting SMTP and web services. Make no mistake: this is not an antispam policy.

And Verizon does suck. Almost as much as Outlook.