The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-30-2001, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

If there is room for my wisdom teeth and they are growing in ok, will they still hurt like a bitch? Or does the pain mean something is wrong?

..Please, no speaches about seeking medical advice on a message board. That's all I can afford. Whomever posts that I should go see a dentist and ask her should send me the money to do so.

Thanks in advance!

-Bear
Advertisements  
Old 08-30-2001, 10:22 AM

I had two wisdom teeth yanked when I was a kid. (Strangely, the other two never grew in.) They grew in straight, and gave me no pain whatsoever. But my dentist convinced me to have them removed because my teeth were/are crowded together pretty badly, and there was just no room for any extra teeth. He told me they would be fine if my jaw had the space for them, though. So he doped me up good and yanked those puppies out. I kept them in a jar for years, until my wife "lost" them in a move. Beautiful, perfectly formed teeth, they were. *snif* I miss them sometimes...
Old 08-30-2001, 10:25 AM

My wisdom teeth grew in fine (Well, 3 of them did. I don't have a 4th), and it didn't hurt. I didn't really notice it until I went to the dentist and he said, "You have wisdom teeth!"
Old 08-30-2001, 10:26 AM

Bear, a few years ago, my dentist told me that it appeared that my widsom teeth would come in straight. Therefore, he said, that I shouldn't have to worry about getting them pulled.

However, now they are coming in. While they don't hurt at all, my new dentist (I moved and had to switch dentists) told me I should have them pulled because they will crowd my other teeth and cause them to become crooked. She never took an X-Ray, so I don't know how she knows what they'll do.

So, I think that the main problem with wisdom teeth is that they can harm the alignment of your other teeth, not that they hurt coming in. Of course, I am not a dentist, I'm just sharing my personal experience.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:30 AM

I'm 44 and have all my wisdom teeth. Dentists have been trying to convince me to pull them on and off for years, but they've grown in straight, they're healthy, and I can't see any reason to have them pulled. So no, they are not automatically bad just because they're wisdom teeth. It's when they can't grow in properly and get impacted that they're a nuisance and should be pulled.

BTW, they grew in when I was in my twenties. It was kind of cool to be "teething" as an adult. I remember chewing on popsicle sticks and zwiebacks to help them cut through; it was painful but felt good at the same time. Gave me empathy for teething babies.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:30 AM

- - - No. Only one of mine needed to be pulled, as it grew in impacted behind the tooth next to it. The other three are still there. None ever hurt at all (while they were there), but the impacted one would eventually get a cavity and I didn't notice its condition until it was too late to help. - MC
Old 08-30-2001, 10:31 AM

First, let's clarify--are you saying your teeth hurt? Do you mean the gums hurt where the wisdom teeth are breaking through? Or do you mean a wisdom tooth itself, or your jaw, aches?

It's normal for the gums to be "ouchy" where the points of the molars are breaking through, but it's temporary.

But if the teeth themselves ache, or if your jaw aches, then no, that's not normal. That means there's something wrong and you need to go see a dentist.

And you can decide whether you want to spend a small amount of money now and find out what's up, and possibly pay for a simple extraction.

Or you can spend an extremely large amount of money sometime down the road, when your wisdom tooth (or even your jaw) becomes abcessed, because it's too close to the other teeth and food particles are getting trapped in there where you can't clean even with floss, and you are in considerable pain for at least two or three weeks, because that's how long it usually takes for you to realize, "Hey, this toothache isn't going to go away", and to (a) get in to see a dentist, (b) get in to see the oral surgeon, and (c) have the actual surgery to remove the tooth, with general anesthesia and everything

An office visit and a simple X-ray is usually about a hundred dollars. It's your body, and your wallet--you decide.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

DDG said:
Quote:
Do you mean the gums hurt where the wisdom teeth are breaking through? Or do you mean a wisdom tooth itself, or your jaw, aches?
Just the gums hurt. Well it kinda feels like the whole back left side of my mouth hurts hurts, but if I punch myself in the jaw right there, it doesnt hurt, and it's not sensitive or sore or anything. But when I touch my gums right there with my finger, it hurts and it's sensitive. It feels like there is pleanty of room for it, though. But hell, for all I know, it's just some tumor on the top of my gum and not a tooth growing in at all . . .
Old 08-30-2001, 10:54 AM

I think dentists differ on this. I have a wisdom tooth that is in, and it's fine. There is room for it, and it's a functional tooth. So like others have said, they're not always a problem and they don't always hurt.

I have another that is sitting in my jaw bass-ackwards and twisted. My dentist knows where it is. There is no room for it, and even if there were it would have to do a 180 degree turn to be functional. Occasionally it starts moving around and thinking about emerging and I have pain for a few days. Then it goes away. I always tell the dentist, but his stance is, we'll take it out when it bugs me. As long as it doesn't bug me (and it never does more than about two days every six months or so) it stays.

However, another factor can be the shape of your mouth. Some wisdom teeth may be so far behind an arch you have up by your cheekbone that it's impossible to brush them. Then you're just begging for decay and/or gum problems. If that's your situation, then your dentist want to get it pulled as soon as it breaks the gumline.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:38 AM

My wisdom teeth didn't hurt when they were growing in, but they never completely grew in. That is, they were only half as tall as the rest of my molars and a flap of skin kept growing over them from my gums, making it *incredibly* painful while eating. I'd be chewing along and CRUNCH - jam down on that flap.

Am happier without them.

I keep mine in a glass, too
Old 08-30-2001, 11:58 AM

Ouch!

Ouch, that's smarts!
That's wh they call 'em wisdom teeth!

Seriously, if they're hurting you...the problem can only get worse! They can become "impacted" - a bigger mess to fix.

See a dentist; don't try to fix it yourself!
- Jinx
Old 08-30-2001, 12:11 PM

You should be lucky they are coming in.

3 of my wisdom teeth are so impacted, they aren't coming in... they are horizontal. Apparently, wisdom teeth this impacted can still decay below the gumline (though I'm not entirely sure how this is possible.)

They are in my jawbone. "Lodged" I think is the word the dentist used.

In cases like mine, oral surgery is risky. I've heard horror stories where a major nerve (which runs along your jaw) is accidentally cut during surgery, which leaves the person with permanent nerve damage to their face.

NO thanks. I'll let my head rot before I go in for (to this point) needless surgery.

So my advice is, don't get surgery unless you have to!
Old 08-30-2001, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pugluvr
I'm 44 and have all my wisdom teeth. Dentists have been trying to convince me to pull them on and off for years, but they've grown in straight, they're healthy, and I can't see any reason to have them pulled.

Me too! Mine are in fine and never bother me, except for one smal cavity. The hygeinist kept bugging me to get them out, because she had a hard time cleaning them.

To answer the OP, pain in your gums is normal when the teeth are coming in. A flap of gum should start to come off, as mentioned, even some time before the tooth starts appearing.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Think about this. Most people don't really have trouble with their wisdom teeth. Dentists like to pull them because they often cause problems...but many people have fully functional 3rd molars. If they come in straight, then there is no reason to have them removed. It is normal to experience some pain when new teeth come in, remember how it felt when you were a kid?

Now, if you had insurance to pay for it, then getting them removed would be no big deal. Mine were fine, in my opinion, but I was fully covered by my Dad's insurance at the time, so I figured it would be better to do it then.

But if you do keep them, remember that they will have to be kept clean, and it's harder to do that since they are so far back. Just make sure you brush and floss and you could be fine. Or you could destroy your whole head. But you probably will be fine. As long as there is no pain. Or at least not too much pain. Or maybe you're screwed even if there is no pain. Well, worst that can happen is that you get an infected abcess and die. That's not so bad. There are worse things that could happen.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Mine started coming in when I was about 12 or 13 and finished when I was around 16.... they came in very, very, very slowly - so for those years it was like I was teething.
But it wasn't pain like I've heard some people have, instead there were days when it felt better to chew on things. (Baby keys. Ok? I had carried baby keys in high school - I tried to make it look cool. It was the 80s, so it didn't entirely fail. Wanna make something of it?)

I still have mine.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:39 PM

For what it's worth, I've heard from 2 oral surgeons that if you don't get them out before around age 25, the holes left in your jaw by the teeth will not heal completely. I'm not sure exactly what that leads to, but they made it sound bad (or at least worse than getting it done before 25). [nag] You may not need them out ever, but if you do, it's best to get them out ASAP. If they get infected, etc. during a time when you can't fix them (as opposed to not wanting to), you could be screwed. [/nag]

-Rob
Old 08-30-2001, 03:49 PM

Forgot this:

http://superiordentalcare.com/wisdomteeth.htm
Old 08-30-2001, 04:10 PM

I had the two teeth on the left taken out when I was about 20 years old. They came in when I was 15 and started to bother me. The dentist just gave me a shot of novocaine and yanked them out with what was essentially a pair of pliers. He had big hands and he actually tore the left corner of my mouth by getting too many fingers and other things in there. That hurt more than the extraction, but wasn't serious.

We decided to leave the other side in until "later" since they weren't bothering me at all and there was "plenty of room" for them to come in. Also the x-ray showed that there was an extra tooth under one of them, perhaps waiting to come in if that one came out.

Flash forward twenty years. The two remaining wisdom teeth do not bother me, per se. Sometimes you can get some food stuck in the gums back there that can be difficult to get out, and flossing them is trickier than normal. But they have ever so slightly moved the other teeth (only on the bottom) and the bottom eye tooth can catch the inside of my gum if I am not careful when chewing. Then the soft tissue swells up and I bite it again and again. Its been a while since it has happened.

Net, and IANADentist, I would guess that you can wait. If the current tooth doesn't come in impacted then you can wait until your financial situation stabilizes, but personally I would recommend having them all out.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

All four of mine came in straight, they're fully functional teeth, and I don't even have that hard a time cleaning them (as if anyone needed proof I have a big mouth !)

It's normal for the gums to be sore while they're coming in, but sore, not painful. Gnawing on something helps.

If they aren't causing problems I see no reason on God's green earth to get them pulled - it's just an unnecessary medical procedure. If they are causing a problem - get 'em yanked early, because the longer you wait the worse it is likely to get.

A lot of dentists these days seem to push getting them pulled - the excuse I hear is "because you might have a problem in the future". By that rationale I should also have my perfectly healthy appendix, gall bladder, and spleen removed, too. Uh-uh. I don't buy it.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
See a dentist; don't try to fix it yourself!
- Jinx
Now where did I put that ice skate?
Old 08-30-2001, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I have all three(!) of mine, too. I had occasional pain in the gums while they were coming in, but no problems and no crowding. In fact, I developed a very slight space between my front teeth on top...
Old 08-30-2001, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acco40
3 of my wisdom teeth are so impacted, they aren't coming in... they are horizontal. Apparently, wisdom teeth this impacted can still decay below the gumline (though I'm not entirely sure how this is possible.)

They are in my jawbone. "Lodged" I think is the word the dentist used.

In cases like mine, oral surgery is risky. I've heard horror stories where a major nerve (which runs along your jaw) is accidentally cut during surgery, which leaves the person with permanent nerve damage to their face.
My bottom two were horizontal. The oral surgeon told me that damage to a nerve like you describe happens in about 1% of operations on the lower teeth in such situations due to the way things are laid out down there.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:11 PM

In my case, I was told that one or two of mine were possibly going to cause problems with my sinus cavity, and would require surgery. They decided that as long as they were going to be going in there, it would be wise to take out the others as well.

I was not pleased, especially because I am a genetic freak and had 7 wisdom teeth. The surgery wasn't so bad, but I was sent home with gaping holes in my mouth and a bottle of these huge pills that were to be taken every 4 - 6 hours and looked like something you would feed a horse. Of course, my dear old mother decided that I was going to get addicted to them so threw them away and gave me advil instead...

So I don't know about how painful they are growing in, but taking them out can be QUITE unpleasant!
Old 08-30-2001, 10:35 PM

Okay, Bear, it sounds like it's just your gums, so that's normal. AnbesolR works, and if you're embarrassed to buy it (it's advertised for teething babies), just make yourself a fake note and claim that your Mom/sister/Aunt Martha sent you down to the store for it. Kroger usually has it, Osco or Walgreens always has it. It's by the dental floss/Blistex.

If you want a "natural" solution, put a heaping 2 teaspoons of ordinary table salt in a teacup full of hot water (like saltwater tea, okay?) and rinse your mouth out several times with this, with particular attention to the sore part. Do not swallow.

It's an old orthodontia trick to numb the discomfort of the monthly "tightening".
Old 08-31-2001, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
From DDG:
AnbesolR works, and if you're embarrassed to buy it (it's advertised for teething babies), just make yourself a fake note and claim that your Mom/sister/Aunt Martha sent you down to the store for it
Hell, I'll just pick some up next time I'm out getting some Pedialite for my next hangover...
Old 08-31-2001, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Acco40
You should be lucky they are coming in.

I was in the same situation- two of my wisdom teeth were growing sideways into the teeth next to them, and when the oral surgeon was removing them, he DID nick a nerve.

I know one other person it's happened to, and their results were similar to mine.

"Permanent nerve damage" doesn't need to mean one side of your face hanging slack and lifeless. You can't tell by looking at me that anything's off. There's just a dime-sized piece of skin at the corner of my mouth that has a dead tingle, like a foot that's gone to sleep, quite mild. I don't think about it most of the time, unless I accidentally bite it or something like that.

The thing is, I avoided having the oral surgery, too. But eventually, the pain of having those impacted teeth got to be REALLY awful. I mean, very bad. So bad that I had it done even though I didn't have any insurance and had to pay over $1000 out of pocket. So bad that even my terror of having my first surgery didn't seem to raise any serious objection. By comparison, that little dead spot is No Big Deal.

So, do whatever you want, but my advice is, go ahead and have them removed. You'll probably be okay, and even if you aren't, you'll probably still be better off. There's no pain quite like tooth pain.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:12 AM

My wisdom teeth hurt a bit when they were coming in. They primarily caused soreness of the gums where they were breaking through, and increased sensitivity to heat and cold in all the other teeth. One day, my dentist told me to have them pulled...when I went back for my next checkup, he said, "well, they're in, and they're not screwing with anything, so you might as well keep them." So I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. Unfortunately, all 4 have cavities, so I need to get them filled soon.

Jman
Old 09-01-2001, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

This thread has turned into something other than a GQ...

but I was just checking out my mouth in the mirror and I can see the little bastard poking through back there. I think what's causing the pain is that it's kinda cutting into where my cheek meets the gum at the back of the mouth. Though there seems to be enough gum room for the tooth, I am thinking there might not be enough overall room for another jagged-edged pointy object back there with all the soft squishy flesh. I am starting to consider having it removed.

It doesn't seem to be much unlike an ingrown toenail the way it's cutting into my cheek like that. Since, I have successfully performed countless ingrown toenail removal operations, I think this would be a good next step for me. I will need better tools than the ole trusty knife, razor blade, pointy-thing and nail clippers that make up my Official Bear Self Surgery Kit.
I live in Florida so I can't use the tested "Ice Skate and Rock" technique. Unless of course someone would mail me an ice skate.
What I do have is a pretty cool SOG Powerlock Multi-tool with a titanium-nitride coating, a box cutter, some 550 cord, a Dremel tool with lots of cool bits, and a really awesome fiber optic flexy tube camera with helmet mounting hardware. Ok, the camera I would have to borrow from work, but it would really make things easy what with working backwards in the mirror and all...

Should I go for it??? Option B at the moment is to see if the University has any student dentists or something that could practice or take an exam or lab with my mouth or something.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:20 AM

Egad. The Bear's finally flipped. Not only is he proposing to extract his own wisdom tooth with power tools, but worse, he's also proposing to let STUDENT DENTISTS practice on him.

Aren't regular professional dentists bad enough, dude? You wanna be strapped into the chair and hear a pimply-faced Dr. Szell-wannabe say, somewhere beyond the blinding light, "...um, was it supposed to spurt like that?" and hear the prof say, "No, no, it's quite all right, continue..."
Old 09-01-2001, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

My experience:

I'm 35, and my wisdom teeth came in straight and OK, and then stopped just poking out of the skin! For the past decade or two I've had occasional soreness from them, which I ignored. I also ignored the dentists in the US who urged, nay, begged! me to let them rip them out.

Until this year. I had a toothache in the upper left side of my jaw, and it sucked to a high degree (I'm talking PAIN here!).

Off I go to a dentist here in Seoul who happens to speak English pretty well (I don't trust my Korean while I'm in pain: ((In Korean)...in short, this arm has to come off. Is that OK? Astroboy, not understanding, (In Korean) Yeah, sure, whatever! The next day: Hey! Where's my arm? What happened! MOMMY!).

He takes an X-ray and says "This wisdom tooth has to go!"

I cringed. "HAS to? That will end the pain?"

"No (can't fault him for lies, at least!)" he said, "it will increase the pain and make it last for a week or so... but then it will go away."

"Ok", I said reluctantly, "Do it..."

He gave me a shot or two of lidocaine, and then proceeded to gather an amazing collection of chainsaws, jackhammers, drills, razor blades, rusty pliers, nutcrackers, bottle openers, toenail clippers, and other impliments of destruction... and also a HOT dental hygenist who hovered over me in a most fetching and concerned manner... but I digress.

When he was finished collecting, and was sure I was all numbed up, the dentist said, "OK. If you feel pain, raise your left hand."

"You betcha!" I said, drool leaking past my right ear and into the collar of my shirt.

He did a couple of things which went unfelt... but as reflected in the eyes of the hygenist (who had a really cute worry-wrinkle between her gorgeous eyes) were preparatory to removing the offending molar.

He then grabbed another tool, inserted it into my mouth, and I heard a CRUNCH! I felt nothing, but I panicked anyways! My left hand shot up (smacking the hygenist in the face, but I feel sure that she has since forgiven me)... The dentist ignored my hand and continued...

Then there was pain. But not that much...

A few (unpleasant, but not as bad as I feared) minutes later we were done.

He gave me a prescription for some meds and sent me on my way...

Not too bad, on the whole.

However, by the time I had gotten on the subway and had gotten to my neighborhood, the lidocaine had worn off... OW!! OWWWW!!!!!!! And I still had to get my meds!

All of the pharmacy-stores in my neighborhood were useless! They didn't have the meds I needed! I had to walk half-way around the circumference of my university to find a pharmacy that DID have the prescribed meds (Maybe a mile or so, my mouth HURTING with every step!).

Found a pharmacy, asked for the meds. The pharmacist was delighted that I spoke Korean! (Pharmacist(In Korean): You speak Korean? That's great! How long have you been in Korea? Where are you from? Etc.... Me (in Korean, in misery, mumbling, while trying to NOT dislodge the gauze that was plugging the hole in my mouth and keeping me from bleeding to death): Yeah, I speak a little, but not now! OK? Pharmacist (in Korean): Oh! Yeah... right. Sorry!! Here ya go!

Got my meds, went home. Ugh!

A few days later, I looked at the tooth. It had a nice cavity in the crown that looked like it went all the way to the root! I started thinking maybe the other 3 wisdom teeth might be in similar condition... I called the dentist!

He said that they probably ARE in similar condition (they are all covered with a flap of skin preventing proper cleaning). I said "well, shouldn't they be yanked?" He said, "Sure, but we'll wait until there are symptoms."

So I have to look foreward to going through that 3 more times!

Repeat: Ugh!
Old 09-02-2001, 03:40 PM

So, what you're saying is, if Bear's gonna have his wisdom teeth out, Korea's probably not the best place for it?

Got that, Bear?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
So, what you're saying is, if Bear's gonna have his wisdom teeth out, Korea's probably not the best place for it?

Got that, Bear?
On the plus side, it cost me about $15 or $20 at the dentist office, and about $20 for the meds... I'd hate to think what it would've cost me in the US!

I'm sure it would have been a bit more than $40!