Anyone seen the re-released Holy Grail movie?

Anyone seen this? I’ve never seen it in a theatre, I’m thinking it would be a hoot. Unless 200 people are saying every line along with the actors. There are supposed to be a whopping 23 seconds of never-before-seen footage, too.

Anyone? Hello?

I’d have loved to see it, but I didn’t find out about it until after it had finished showing in my area.

:mad:

It’s going to be released on DVD soon, in October I think. Look for the release marked “Special Edition.”

They’ve actually been seen before. They showed it on Comedy Central (I think it was Comedy Central) a few years back, and the additional 23 seconds were there. It comes in the 'Castle Anthrax scene.

It’s on the laser disk edition, too (watched it at a friend’s house a couple of weeks ago). Odd, it looked as if all the color had washed out, giving everything a sickly green-ish tint, like when a photo is overexposed, but then went back to the normal colorings. Really bad edit job on the section, too.

I suppose it’s too much to hope that it involves spanking and after spanking, eh?

sigh

Maybe, but for my part, I’d prefer 23 seconds of oral sex.

" SPOILER "

Nope. Mostly a lot of characters not connected with the scene saying “Get on with it” (the scene).

Nothing to do with editing. It’s most likely because the source film was on Eastmancolor stock that deteriorated. Another example is the Alternate version of The Prisoner episode “The Chimes of Big Ben”.

I’m sure you can find better information somewhere else.

Ahhh.
I came across this scene in one of the millions of Holy Grail transcripts floating around the web, and it kind of bothered me that I had apparently missed all that somehow. Now I can finally sleep at night. :rolleyes:

I am well aware that editing has sothing to do with film deterioration. There are two different points discussed in my post: the color deterioration and the bad edit job.

At the beginning of the insertion of the “new scene”, the characters are standing in one posistion, then suddenly shift shift [much like in “Bewitched” when an object has to ‘appear/disappear’, you can see changes in the actor’s body position].

In all, the scene seems to be more of an afterthought a jump on the “director’s cut” bandwagon, if you might say so.

I agree. I saw it during the theatrical release a year or so ago, and that scenelet is over so quickly you hardly realize it was there. Most of it is Carol Cleveland (MPFC’s female frequent accomplice) talking directly into the camera as Zoot of Castle Anthrax, and being urged to “Get on with it.” You can definitely see the difference in film stock.

All in all, the “missing 23 seconds” are just another example of the shameless marketing gimmicks we’ve come to love and expect from Monty Python.

That scene is on my version of the DVD.

(I just watched it the other day)

Someone once mentioned to me that there’s a lost shot of the model of Camelot falling over. Anyone ever heard of this?

Ack! Zombie thread! Bring forth the Holy Hand Grenade!

That shot can be found in the movie’s original trailer, which is on the DVD.

Ah, thanks.

I’ll have to watch that sometime.

I usually don’t watch the trailers.

William V, what Marlitharn is talking about is that this thread was last posted to in 2001. We’re not usually real happy when people revive old threads, we think it’s usually better to start a new thread on the same topic. The reason we don’t like resurrections is that many of the posters who had posted to the old thread are no longer with us, so they can’t respond back. It seems unfair to disagree with them, for instance. So we usually consider it more polite to simply start a new thread.

However, please note, it’s not against the rules of the Cafe Society forum to revive an old thread. (It is against the rules of some of the other forums.) So, this ain’t a warning, not even a mild warning, it’s just a kind of bit of friendly advice, to make you aware of something that you probably hadn’t been. Basically, we suggest people stop and think a sec before posting to an old thread, whether that’s what they really want to do… or whether it’s better to just start a new one. OK?

When I saw the re-released version in a theater, it was weird because I had never see it on a big screen and I was sitting with a crowd of people who just sat through it like any other movie. No yelling of lines or general cavorting.

Thanks, C K Dexter Haven . I admit, I didn’t even notice the vintage of the original thread - just saw it come up on the current SDMB and thought I’d post a reply, as I’m a “Monty Python” fan from 'way back.

Cheers,

Jethro Q. Walrustitty