Animated Music Videos

On the Cartoon Network recently, they ran a special Midnight Run: a series of music videos mostly or entirely animated, like those from Matthew Sweet and Gorillaz.

There was some pretty damn nifty stuff there. So, two questions: what’s your favorite animated music video, and does anyone have a tape of this special they’d be willing to sell/trade? :slight_smile:

Take On Me by A-Ha.

Woo Hoo! I said it first!!!

Weird Al’s Jurassic Park, made out of claymation.

Evolution by Pearl Jam. Kinda scary but it’s cool anyway. Sorry, I don’t have any videos of it but you can dl a lot of music videos on Morpheus and things like that (they take a while to download though).

Wasn’t the video for Money for Nothing by Dire Straits animated? I liked the workers movin’ those color TVs!

But I’ll be the first to mention that a-ha has had another largely animated video, “Train of Thought”, and a third, “Manhattan Skyline”, with animated dot-to-dot puzzles of all things.

REM, “Low.” It’s a kind of obscure video, I think–it might only appear on the DVD collection–but it is animated. Technically.

All right, I just like the song. :o

Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel or Road To Nowhere by Talkingheads.

Just last night, the animated videos on the Cartoon Network included all four of Daft Punk’s videos from their new album Discovery. The videos are animated by Leiji Matsumoto, the creator of Star Blazers, amongst many many other manga and anime titles. They tell a strange little story of an alien band and a mysterious villain.

You can see then online here:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/toonami/reactor/index.html

My favorite is “Love Rollercoaster” by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Runnin’ Down a Dream - Tom Petty

No tape, nope, not a single one.

Heh…“The Three Little Pigs” by Green Jell-o – er, Jelly. That was claymation…does it count?

They had a bunch of these on MTV a while ago. Daria and Jane (from Daria, of course) did a countdown.

“Sober” - Tool
“Schism” - Tool
“One More Time” - Daft Punk
“Blue” - Eiffel 65
“Paranoid Android” - Radiohead

Let me drop a “me too” on FUB here for “Sober” by Tool.

There is one character in particular that has a several small circular lengths of copper wire moving in and out of holes in his head, over and over again. That has been one of the most enduring strange images I’ve ever seen.

Several Tool videos were created by Fred Stuhr in association with band member Adam Jones. The imagery in all of them is bizarre but very warm and real, worth checking out.

Static X’s “Push It” video has a good deal of claymation in it.

“Drive”, by Incubus, has a number of animated spots involving pencil sketches of the lead singer sketching themsleves…or something like that. Cool effect, but a little difficult to describe.

“Planet Caravan” (I think that’s the name) by Pantera (I think that’s the name) is largely computer-generated animation.

“Mia”, by…someone else whose name escapes me…is all stop-motion animation.

I believe Chevelle sang that song. Or someone with a name similar to Chevelle.

Oops, I forgot to post this last time.

I just now reread the OP and I found that it says “favourite” animated videos. I would like to add that I do not like the songs “Blue” and “One More Time”. I gotta learn how to read.

Yes! That’s it…thanks!

Oh…another one: “Prison Sex”, by Tool.

“Weird Al” Yankovic’s Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies video even parodied the cheesy computer-generated look of the original. I like.

And while it’s not my favorite, I’ll bet almost nobody on this board has seen the music video for “The Touch,” by Stan Bush. It consists primarily of Bush playing guitar in front of clips from Transformers: The Movie, and is noted only for his really '80s-style haircut… :rolleyes: