Who's that skinny, blonde, slightly deranged woman from the Old Navy commercials?

This is actually a series of dumb questions, none of which trancends the “Pointless” factor enough to warrent a “GQ” thread. All of them have been the source of heated discussions between my friends and myself (I may be the only person in the world who will drop what he’s doing when I hear sombody yell “hey! That Old Navy commercials on!”. But I must watch the deranged woman gyrate!).
[ul]
[li]So, who is that unnaturally skinny, slightly deranged looking blonde woman from the Old Navy commercials?[/li][li]Not counting Mary Tyler Moore, were those knitted tamoshanters really all that popular in the 70’s?[/li][li]Are those songs they’re playing real 70’s songs, or merely songs made to sound like they sould be from the 70’s (they sound a little too cliche’ to me).[/li][li]Do they seriously expect us to accept that gas station attendant jackets are the new in thing?[/li][/ul]

I don’t know about any of your questions (except the last one… apparently, they think “different” equals better), but I will wholeheartedly agree that the woman looks… odd. Not ugly, (slightly pretty, to an extant), but her whole attitude is slightly off-kilter. I’m pretty sure that she’s always looking just above the camera… possibly at cue cards.

I have a serious love-hate relationship with this woman.

Highly annoying pitch/demand: “You’ve Gotta Get This Look.”

vs.

Girls with hipster pants… [salivating]mmmmmmmmmm…[/salivating]
Well, one thing is true - her voice is obviously some additional dialogue replacement. (i.e. dubbed over and not so well) I guess they had to do this or they would’ve had to deal with the sound of the fans blowing her hair.

I just like the mini-skirt commercial, I find it to be a bit o’ heaven in an otherwise dreary commercial lineup :slight_smile:

That’s my feeling too. I think she’s pretty enough, but theres something…ODD about her or her performance. Maybe it’s the over-done lighting washing out her pale blue eyes, giving her a wide-eyes tiny-pupil look. Maybe it’s her manic just-got-a-siff-of-cocaine-in-the-ladies-room at Studio-54 enthusiasm about burnt orange crushed velvet hip-huggers. Maybe it’s that airport giftshop sound-activated gyrating Coke can toy dance se does. Can’t quite put my finger on it.

Just a note - it’s Molly Simms (i think that’s how her last name is spelled) and she is the current host for MTV’s Fashionably Loud.

But I think she is very frightening and am quite vocal in my opinion. I have yet to see a picture of her where I understand how she got let into the modeling business… besides her thinness…

yes she is scary…

but, I love the commercial with the miniskirts.

hubba hubba

ahem

Phouchg
Lovable Rogue

During my student teaching time I had a student who one day before class was rpoudly displaying that everythign he was wearing, including his underwear, had the Old Navy logo on it.
…shudder…

Maybe not the prettiest woman under the sun, but I think she has some kind of presence. I want her!

My biggest complaint is that she seems way too adult (not necessarily mature, though) to be selling clothes to teenage girls.

I agree, she’s kinda like Jaws IV, you don’t really want to watch, but you can’t help it. Just like almost all the Old Navy ads…my 8 year old can still sing that damn “You’re invited…” ad from a few Christmases ago. But as for the skinny blonde, I can’t figger out if she’s 20 or 40…

As long as they keep that mummified she-male safely buried, they can show anyone they want.

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing aobut her the other night too…pretty enough (If a little too skinny for my tastes), but something about her eyes is a little…off.

Morgan Fairchild? I dunno. I always thought she was kinda cute in a weird way.

I suspect SeaLemon’s talking about that gossip columnist woman from the old “Magic” the dog commecials. I always thought she looked like a dried apple head wearing Dame Edna Everage’s glasses.

Morgan’s looking pretty mummified these days, too.

But not as bad as Dyan Cannon - now there’s a scary & disturbing face. The hair makes it so much worse. so what did ever happen to Baby Jane?

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Amazing Magic-Gro Monster *
[B[li]Not counting Mary Tyler Moore, were those knitted tamoshanters really all that popular in the 70’s?**[/li][/QUOTE]

Ali McGraw wore one in :stuck_out_tongue: Love Story :p.

As far as Morgan Fairchild, someone on this board posited, about a year ago, that she doesn’t make any facial expressions in the hope that it’ll keep her from wrinkling. :rolleyes:

Just previewed. There should be two varieties of sticking-tongue-out smilies. One for the impish taunt, and one for gagging.

wow so it’s not just me! I too have seen these ads and there was just something creepy about her… but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I will pay close attention to her eyes next time

I like the blonde Old Navy spokes-model. The commercials still suck because of the whole retro thing, but she’s nice to look at.

“The only thing that’s lower… Is the price?!” quirky, and cute.

I actually don’t mind the Old Navy commercials for this one reason: The trend lately has been for models to be these angst-ridden “artist” types, who strut around with their noses in the air. Granted, the Old Navy model might be a ditz, but she seems nice, and she gets points for that.

She does seem prepetually drunk and/or high though, so maybe that explains it…

Yes, she’s perky and has a sense of fun, and that’s an all-too-rare commodity these days.

Interestingly enough, every other model in those ads is walking down the runway in unsmiling lockstep. It’s like Molly is the only one who’s allowed to bust a move.

I don’t have cable, so I didn’t know her name until I was at Gravity Pub a few days ago with my friend Paul and one of the commercials came on the bar TV. “Mmmm…Molly Sims,” Paul said, then explained about the MTV thing.

S’funny thing: Paulie and I have almost exactly complementary taste in women. Anyone I find attractive, he doesn’t, and vice-versa. And just before this night at Gravity I had decided about the commercials “She’s very pretty, but not to my taste.” Very interesting how that works out.