Who is our highest ranking Muslim official

…elected or appointed?

I really don’t have any idea. I can’t think of any.

It would seem that there has to be some Muslims in the government somewhere.

Islam A. Siddiqui was nominated to be U.S. Under Secretary of Agriculture by Clinton in January, 2001. His nomination was withdrawn by Bush in September. It’s not clear to me that he ever actually held the position. If he had, he would have been the highest ranking muslim official in the US government.

Eric Vickers came close. He ran for the House from Missouri’s 1st district in 2000, but lost in the primary to William Clay (who went on to win the election)

This group would seem to be keeping tabs on it:

http://www.amaweb.org/index.html

From their “election 2000” report at http://www.amaweb.org/election2000/ama_election_report.htm :

They also claim:

Mr. Shaw appears to be a Senator in the North Carolina General Assembly. This would suggest that there are no Muslims currently elected to Federal legislative seats.

I didn’t immediately see anything on their site concerning appointed positions.

There is a Muslim chaplain in the…army(?). He just secured a fatwa directing Muslim US military personnel to fight for their country. The fatwa was issued by a panel of clerics, including several from the Mideast.

I would say he’s pretty high-ranking right about now.

I might mention that Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham is Arab-American (Lebanese), but I’m pretty sure he’s not Muslim, so it doesn’t count.

Did Timothy McVeigh consider himself to be a Christian? And if so, who is the highest ranking Christian in our government?

Before I get inflammatory here though I should ask why the OP wants to know this?

[Edited by JillGat on 10-16-2001 at 08:11 PM]

He’s not. Some other non-Muslim Arabs who became Presidential advisors were Donna Shalalah and John Sunnunu.

I don’t know about her genetics, but Donna Shalala was born in Cleveland, Ohio.

I would think the answer to question one is G.W. Bush, though that depends how you define “highest ranking.”

I would think one answer to question two is because Rysdad is curious, though I don’t presume to speak for him/her. Strikes me as a fine reason to ask, and I don’t see anything wrong with the question.

Jill,

My curiousity was based on:

1. I didn’t know, and

2. Depending on that person’s position, I thought that, maybe, that person could act as a spokesman or something.

Geez.

PS- Thanks, yabob, for the link. That was what I was looking for.

Thank you for the clarification. - Jill

True. To be specific, I should have said that both Shalala and Sununu are of Arab descent. They were both born in America to Lebanese parents and have, in the past, identified themselves as Arab-Americans.

As are, btw, Ralph Nader and George Mitchel.

Sununu is presently a Congressman. He does not clearly identify his religious affilition, however (as is his right).

Why do we need an “Islamic spokesman” for the United States government? The United States already has its spokespeople, and they are capable of speaking for all of us regardless of their personal religions.

Simply for the “believability” factor if that person was addressing Muslims on al Jazeera or something like that.

PS- Turn down your PC rheostats, fer chrissake!

Just to clarify, this John Sununu is the son of George Bush’s former Chief of Staff who had some problems with using government airplanes.

For the record, the Sununus are Catholic.

http://www.aaiusa.org/elections/cand_page.asp?candid=199

I remember some time ago, researching the religious views of congress, seeing this online.

<<There has been a Muslim congressman in the US Congress but he has chosen to keep it a secret. Now there are more than 150 Muslims who have been elected to different small offices in these elections, all keeping their Muslim names.>>

http://www.soundvision.com/yearinreview/2000/politics.shtml

Sine this is the only place on the web I have seen such a claim, I wouldn’t attach too much to it. It sounds strange to me that someone in congress could or would keep their religion a secret.

Has anyone else heard about this, or is it another net rumor…

To Bush’s credit, he has been consulting with Muslim leaders here and abroad since this crisis began.