The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-16-2001, 04:15 PM

...elected or appointed?

I really don't have any idea. I can't think of any.

It would seem that there has to be some Muslims in the government somewhere.
Advertisements  
Old 10-16-2001, 04:29 PM

Islam A. Siddiqui was nominated to be U.S. Under Secretary of Agriculture by Clinton in January, 2001. His nomination was withdrawn by Bush in September. It's not clear to me that he ever actually held the position. If he had, he would have been the highest ranking muslim official in the US government.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:57 PM

Eric Vickers came close. He ran for the House from Missouri's 1st district in 2000, but lost in the primary to William Clay (who went on to win the election)
Old 10-16-2001, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

This group would seem to be keeping tabs on it:

http://www.amaweb.org/index.html

From their "election 2000" report at http://www.amaweb.org/election2000/a...ion_report.htm :

Quote:
(Fremont, California, 11/12/2000) About 700 Muslim Americans ran for various local, state and federal offices in this yearís elections. Of these at least 152, most of whom are members of the American Muslim Alliance, were elected to local and state offices. These individuals were elected as members of precinct committees, delegates to Democratic and Republican party conventions, city councils, state assemblies, state senates, and judgeships. Ninety-two of these were elected from Texas
They also claim:

Quote:
Mr. Larry Shaw, the highest-ranking elected Muslim in America, was re-elected unopposed in North Carolina. Judge David Shakoor was also re-elected to his judicial post.
Mr. Shaw appears to be a Senator in the North Carolina General Assembly. This would suggest that there are no Muslims currently elected to Federal legislative seats.

I didn't immediately see anything on their site concerning appointed positions.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:43 PM

There is a Muslim chaplain in the...army(?). He just secured a fatwa directing Muslim US military personnel to fight for their country. The fatwa was issued by a panel of clerics, including several from the Mideast.

I would say he's pretty high-ranking right about now.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:51 PM
BANNED

I might mention that Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham is Arab-American (Lebanese), but I'm pretty sure he's not Muslim, so it doesn't count.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Did Timothy McVeigh consider himself to be a Christian? And if so, who is the highest ranking Christian in our government?

Before I get inflammatory here though I should ask why the OP wants to know this?

[Edited by JillGat on 10-16-2001 at 08:11 PM]
Old 10-16-2001, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheeGrumpy
I might mention that Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham is Arab-American (Lebanese), but I'm pretty sure he's not Muslim, so it doesn't count.
He's not. Some other non-Muslim Arabs who became Presidential advisors were Donna Shalalah and John Sunnunu.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don't know about her genetics, but Donna Shalala was born in Cleveland, Ohio.
Old 10-16-2001, 08:55 PM

Quote:
who is the highest ranking Christian in our government?

Before I get inflammatory here though I should ask why the OP wants to know this?
I would think the answer to question one is G.W. Bush, though that depends how you define "highest ranking."

I would think one answer to question two is because Rysdad is curious, though I don't presume to speak for him/her. Strikes me as a fine reason to ask, and I don't see anything wrong with the question.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JillGat
Did Timothy McVeigh consider himself to be a Christian? And if so, who is the highest ranking Christian in our government?

[Edited by JillGat on 10-16-2001 at 08:11 PM]
Jill,

My curiousity was based on:

1) I didn't know, and

2) Depending on that person's position, I thought that, maybe, that person could act as a spokesman or something.

Geez.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:24 PM

PS- Thanks, yabob, for the link. That was what I was looking for.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thank you for the clarification. - Jill
Old 10-16-2001, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know about her genetics, but Donna Shalala was born in Cleveland, Ohio.
True. To be specific, I should have said that both Shalala and Sununu are of Arab descent. They were both born in America to Lebanese parents and have, in the past, identified themselves as Arab-Americans.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:16 PM

As are, btw, Ralph Nader and George Mitchel.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:25 PM

Sununu is presently a Congressman. He does not clearly identify his religious affilition, however (as is his right).

Why do we need an "Islamic spokesman" for the United States government? The United States already has its spokespeople, and they are capable of speaking for all of us regardless of their personal religions.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:30 PM

Simply for the "believability" factor if that person was addressing Muslims on al Jazeera or something like that.

PS- Turn down your PC rheostats, fer chrissake!
Old 10-16-2001, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KellyM
Sununu is presently a Congressman. He does not clearly identify his religious affilition, however (as is his right).

Why do we need an "Islamic spokesman" for the United States government? The United States already has its spokespeople, and they are capable of speaking for all of us regardless of their personal religions.
Just to clarify, this John Sununu is the son of George Bush's former Chief of Staff who had some problems with using government airplanes.

For the record, the Sununus are Catholic.

http://www.aaiusa.org/elections/cand...asp?candid=199
Old 10-16-2001, 10:37 PM

I remember some time ago, researching the religious views of congress, seeing this online.

<<There has been a Muslim congressman in the US Congress but he has chosen to keep it a secret. Now there are more than 150 Muslims who have been elected to different small offices in these elections, all keeping their Muslim names.>>

http://www.soundvision.com/yearinrev...politics.shtml

Sine this is the only place on the web I have seen such a claim, I wouldn't attach too much to it. It sounds strange to me that someone in congress could or would keep their religion a secret.

Has anyone else heard about this, or is it another net rumor...
Old 10-16-2001, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

To Bush's credit, he has been consulting with Muslim leaders here and abroad since this crisis began.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:53 PM

If there were a Muslim member of Congress now, I'm pretty sure we would have heard from him/her now. It would be a perfect political opportunity for someone to make a name for himself in the current situation.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnson
There is a Muslim chaplain in the...army(?). He just secured a fatwa directing Muslim US military personnel to fight for their country. The fatwa was issued by a panel of clerics, including several from the Mideast.

I would say he's pretty high-ranking right about now.
Am I to believe that US military personnel who are devout muslims require sanction from an international panel of clerics prior to fighting for their country?
Old 10-16-2001, 11:02 PM

Believe whatever you want. I don't know that it's much different than Christianity seeking to define "just war."
Old 10-17-2001, 01:36 PM

Quote:
To Bush's credit, he has been consulting with Muslim leaders here and abroad since this crisis began.
Someone (NPR IIRC) had a piece on the other day talking about the fact that one of his advisors was from Afghanistan, although I don't recall them mentioning a religion. This advisor had originally been with Reagan then had gone to work with a think tank before coming back to the government. They thought it was pretty fortunate that he had an advisor from Afghanistan when he needed it.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:55 PM

I dont know if this was a real question but Tim McVeigh claimed to be an athiest, but I remember reading that he asked to receive the Last Rites while on the execution table.