"24" Season 2, Episode 17 - 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. (SPOILERS)

I think Tony is a big fat weenie.

Jack survives a plane crash, yanks a piece of metal out of his leg, and starts running.

Tony lays on the floor like a beached fish, calling out to Carrie to help him out because his ankle-wankle has a widdle boo-boo.

Crybaby. What the hell does Michelle see in him?

I don’t like this Rush to War scenario either…what’s wrong with waiting a couple of hours, especially since a senior CTU official has doubts about the credibilty of the tape? I mean, jeez, it’s not like Nina is saying the tape is fake.

I’m a little confused about something. Maybe someone could provide some insight on this.

Mike, the President’s assistant, said late in the show (with his head in his hands) something like “it will be a disaster if we have to call back the planes.”

Huh? It’ll be a disaster if World War III is appropriately averted? What?

I don’t understand this logic (even by 24 standards).

Yay! My VCR worked! I realized I had two so I set both of them to record. The first one worked, so I haven’t checked the second one. But I’m not as lame as I feared. My kung fu is strong!

This was another blah episode to me. Granted I was watching it while lying in bed and fighting sleep toward the end so I may have missed some nuances but…

First the Kim “plot.” I figured Nervous Gun Guy/Chavo Guarrero wanted to get his wife outta there so he could kill himself and not go to jail. Go out with “honor” kinda. Guess I was wrong.

The whole Jack kidnaps Kate thing isn’t working for me. Someone brought it up last week, but where DID 7th Soldier get Jack’s cell number? They aren’t listed yet. Somone from out of the blue calls Jack and tells him to bring their main witness to him in 30 minutes, and Jack does it? At least last time he let himsef get jerked around, his wife and daughter were in peril. This time, he just seemed to go along too easily.

Is Palmer’s entire cabinet against him??? The Veep, Ensign Ro, Mike, ex-Mrs-Palmer, the Electroshock Guy…everyone second guesses him! It’s like they got him elected so they could all ride his coat tails to the White House and now they want him out. I don’t get it.

This week I got more tension from my VCR saga than this episode. But I know last year kinda slogged along after Act I too, so I’m hanging in.

I liked the episode, the endings always leave me wanting more. Great stuff.

Like everyone, though, the damn Kim plots are just getting more and more rediculous. Hopefully, the rest of her plot will involve her sitting in a jail cell waiting for the whole murder rap to go through and getting processed and the like until Jack finally finishes the job and comes to her rescue. Unfortunately, the police station is probably going to get attacked by a cyborg from the future, thus creating enough confusion for her to get away, where she’ll be picked hit by a guy in a pick up truck, who will “take her to the hospital,” but instead try to rape her, only to be stopped when they get abducted by aliens, who somehow will crash their ship somewhere, crushing an evil witch, so that now Kim will have to run from her evil sister, until things get REALLY contrived. Just lock her away and get on with the real plot, shall we?

As for Tony, when did he become such a little pissant?  He seemed like such a cool guy earlier, and someone who would take Jack's word when he'd show suspicion about something.  Suddenly he gets put in charge and now discredits Jack's advice/suspicions?  Seems really odd.  And it's obvious that Michelle and Carrie don't like each other, how is it he's so damned blind?  

But the Jack storyline is coming along nicely, as always. I was a little suspicious of the foriegn guy for a moment as well. When he told Jack he was taking Kate on a roundabout way to get to Jack, I figured he was just going to kidnap her for some other reason. Glad to see I was mistaken. He also delivered my favorite line from the episode:

“Kate, turn your face.”

Now, if that’s not an effective way to interrigate someone, I don’t know what is.

I also don’t buy the whole “we must attack immediately” thing. They so definitely have motives we have yet to see.

I was wondering why Tony would take Carrie’s word over Michelle’s. He’s worked with Michelle for a while, has professed to like her and yet here comes this woman he’s never met before a few hours ago and he’s taking her word on things? I think his whole love affair with Nina and then finding out who she really was scarred him for life. Soulpatch can no longer trust women.

WHat was Carrie doing at that other guy’s computer terminal after she sent him away on an errand?

She was putting the filters on Michelle’s computer that allowed her to track whatever she did.
She also deleted that one phone conversation in which she was mentioned (and called a bitch by the Hidden Hills guy). I wonder how he fits in.

The Hidden Hills guy…is that Michelle’s ex-husband? Relative?

It looked like Carrie had restricted access to Michelle so that’s why Chelle was getting errors. I thought she went to the other guys desk to either release the restrictions ro add more. Either way, I was surprised that that guy had administrator rights when Carrie didn’t :slight_smile:

I thought it went like this:

1. Tony tells Carrie to filter Michelle’s transmission (stupid - as other posters said, why doesn’t he go to Michelle? Why trust new gal Carrie?)

2. Carrie rigs Michelle’s PC to have an error

3. Michelle askes Carrie about it; Carrie tells Michelle what to do; Michelle goes to fix it, freeing up her PC

4. Carrie decoys the other guy away to have “private” access to Michelle’s PC. Guy falls for decoy

5. Carrie implements filters on Michelle’s PC

6. Carrie then monitors Michelle’s communications, and we get to here one that may or may not be relevant to the bomb/war plot, but adds a little backstory as to why these two women don’t get along - Michelle’s ex (boyfriend? husband?), with whom she had a child that he has custody of, hooked up with Carrie (causing the breakup? after the breakup? Not clear). But he is no longer with Carrie and calls her a bitch.

7. Carrie deletes that message to avoid being linked to Michelle as well as to get rid of the insult…

Other interpretations?

No, you have it, WordMan.

this business between Jack and Tony is annoying me more because Tony should really have something more important to do at this point. Jeez, they can get Jack whenever, but some things need to be done now, Mr. New Boss-Man.

I want to kill Kim more every week.

Actually, Carrie offered to fix it knowing that Michelle would say she can’t because Carrie doesn’t have the right access. Remember Carrie is technically under Michelle (unless I got the names confused). The one that helped Jack is Michelle, right?

What I don’t understand is how could Carrie remotely cause an error on Michelle’s PC when she doesn’t even have access to install filters and monitor communications. Why didn’t Tony just do it himself instead of asking Carrie to do it when she doesn’t even have the correct access to do such a thing? In the past, CTU people didn’t need access to the person’s workstation they wanted to monitor.

As for the link between the women, it appears that Michelle’s ex-husband has that prefix because he messed around with Carrie while they were together.

Kim, die already. Whoever said that gun-boy was dumber than Kim really hit the nail on the head. Who would have thought it was possible.

Didn’t we already do the whole Jack saves Kate storyline? Why is she safer in the trunk?

And for crying out loud, President Palmer, what’s the big rush to attack? Especially if you’re going to attack 3 countries simultaneously, you might want to plan it a little. I thought Mike might turn out to be a bad guy, since he did the “bad guy look sideways at the camera” move. But later he backed up the President to the VP even though he didn’t agree. I too was wondering what the big disaster would be if they called off the planes, unless Mike knows about a Plan B for the people trying to start the war.

I must say, ever since the bomb went off I’m not liking it that much.

I’ve missed a rather key point – are the Stealth bombers in the air to bomb the three countries carrying nukes or conventional bombs.

Sua

When they mentioned the whole war scenario was designed to help oil barons, my first thought was:

OMG…J.R. Ewing is behind the whole thing!
(Wait until Miss Ellie and Bobbie hear about this - there’s gonna be hell to be paid out at Southfork at dinner.)

Plus, seeing as how Jack’s wife met with an untimely fate in Season One, I am hoping against hope that Kim meets a similar fate at the end of this season - saving us all from having to see her kidnapped, wearing a wet tshirt and thong, by a VW Bus full of transexual, terrorist, circus clowns in Season Three.

My take on Tony: Great lieutenants rarely make great generals without passing through the captain, major, colonel ranks first.

Tony is a very good agent and analyst, but the pressure of command is spooking the snot out of him; so he’s second-guessing himself, trying to cover all the bases and fearing that any action he takes will be a potential screw-up that will tank his career and cost lots of people their lives.

I imagine he and Jack will have a little heart to heart later in the show about the pressures/burden of command, most likely while they’re staring at each other over drawn pistols. I hope so, at least. Only the best of friends and deepest of allies can throw down on each other and then move on later.

Since the actress who is Kate has signed on for another season, we know #2 can’t happen. #1 can’t happen. Just can’t… refuse. My bet’s on #4 as well, or some oddball permutation with less Jack Hesitation. Ever since she joined the show, she was reported to be a Jack love-interest. Seeing as how I’m not that fond of Kate (or any of the blond actresses on the show, actually) I hope she and Kim become all chummy next season and go live far far away from the action. Kim’s air time = excuse to get up off the couch.

They’re going to mess with us. They’re going to end Season Two with Kim getting killed in some horrible manner and Jack shouting “KIM!”

Then the opening of Season Three is going to be Jack saying, “Kim! KIM! Wake up, you’ll be late for school!”

:smiley:

It would be a PR disaster to call the bombers back (assuming of course the countries in question did indeed conspire to get the bomb set up). “They detonated a nuclear bomb on our soil and we had bombers on the way, but we called em back. Why? Oh, you know…because…” It would also give the opposing country time to ready any defenses and would lose the element of surprise. Remember, they’re not expecting to be tied to the bomb.

My guess on Kate is that she is going to be the one to kill Nina at the end of the day. Kate will prove in one of the next two hours to not be capable of killing someone else (much like Kim with the liquor store guy) when she had an opportunity and was threatened. Later, Nina will somehow get the upper hand on Jack and Kate will kill her. It will either be the last or second to last hour. Just a guess, though.

Well, I was thinking…
“KIM, if you hang up the phone, I will kill you.” :smiley:
Meanwhile, Kate’s not too bright, herself. Jack was giving her an obvious hint – “Remember everything I said in the car.” What did she expect? Him to say, “Don’t worry – I will track you and rescue you”, right in front of Seventh Soldier?

Carrie caused an error on a remote system that sent an alert to Michelle’s PC, I would guess she just went to a back room and jiggled a wire loose or something equivalent. It’s pretty easy to get an alert to show on someone else’s PC that way.

That’s another one of those bits you should just push out of your mind and wait for a scene with Jack like “It’s for you…”, just like the bit about why they need to attack the country in just a few hours despite the fact that the conspiracy is not public knowledge.