24: Season 4: Episode 5 (11:00am - 12:00pm)

They used the heat of the people in the building, IIRC, not their computers. Earlier, they said a thermal scan wouldn’t work because large power grids near there would show up on the scan. But all they did was overlay a real map of the area with the power grids shown so they knew which heat source were the terrorists.

Nahhh. Didn’t you hear Janeway ask if they could “compensate”? :slight_smile:

They had a radius of about 60 miles (based on phone conversations, terrorist was about 10 minutes from base when he killed himself).

They checked a current thermal scan with one from some time in the past (a year ago? 5 years? Never were specific). Found only one location with a signicant amount of new heat activity.

Someone, I think Chloe, asked Jack how she was when Jack first came to CTU this season, and I think Jack said that Kim & Chase moved up to Santa Barbara (or somewhere like that) and are doing fine. But didn’t Kim dump Chase and the very end of last season, while he was lying in the hospital bed, sans hand?

I do think someone from 24 past will show up. There’s no way Jack and Chloe are the only ones around this year.

I must say, the commentary this year has been excellent… keep up the good work.

I must say, I thought Nina was too evil to be sexy, but I can understand it. But y’all who are digging Chloe this year? You betta check yo’self befo’ you wreck yo’self. She’s Jar Jar for Og’s sake!

That said, I’m looking forward to Chloe helping Jack in the field. That’s gonna be entertainment.

Jack: “I know you’ve never done this, and I know it’s gonna be hard for you, but’s it’s imperative that you pick up the gun and shoo-”
Chloe: blam blam blam You terrorist motherf- blam blam try to fuck up my server- blam blam blam

Nope. I think you’re conflating the ending of season three with an incident from season two.

Kim’s boyfriend in season two lost his leg, due to a car accident that they were involved in. He dumped her while lying in his hospital bed, and did not tell her why.

So how fast was he driving to travel 60 miles in 10 minutes?

Well, sources say that Tony “Soulpatch” Almeida is due to show up mid-season.

And I never dug that Chloe/Jar-Jar comparison. Chloe could be pretty obnoxious during season 3, but at least she was competent, and occasionally (unintentionally) hilarious. Jar-Jar was neither good at anything NOR funny.

I believe Jack said that Kim and Chase were living in Valencia.

This could be setting her up for a return since the bad guy’s lair is in that part of Southern California.

I’m amazed that the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department can round up that many deputies in such a remote part of the county so fast. The area where Jack is working is likely patrolled by a handful of deputies.

But the bad guys always seem to be in the Santa Clarita area. I think they were in Seasons 1 and 2. I didn’t see Season 3.

I was going to post that your mysterious black box tempted me greatly, but I apparently forgot that replying to a post with a spoiler reveals the spoiler. :smack:

And JThunder, you’re right- I was thinking of Scruffy, not Chase.

I don’t think it was solely the thermal scan that helped them find the place. There was also conversation about looking to see if there were any abandoned buildings, police reports related to them, etc. in the given radius.

The dead guy said he was 30 minutes away 20 minutes before he died, so in the remaining 10 minutes he could have gone about 10 miles (60mph = 1 mile per minute). So they checked a 10 mile radius from the crash location, probably concentrating only on the semicircle in the direction he was traveling, and came up with only 1 likely place.

Sounds good to me.

Of course, within that 30 minutes he was stopped by the police officer that was running his plates for a number of minutes – so I think the search grid was a little wider. After that delay, his crash site wouldn’t have been within a 10 mile radius necessarily, but it wouldn’t be too much farther out than that, most likely

Driscoll’s daughter is bugging the hell out of me. Are all the heads of CTU, going to have to be forced to make a terrible, terrible choice between saving a loved one, or risking the national security of the United States?

I am reminded of Madelyn of La Femme Nikita who was selected for the anti terrorist organization because she killed her sister.

I was getting the impression that Driscoll would just like to figure out how to get rid of her, because she keeps getting in the way… :wink:

Well, when Omorosa called the boss on Edgar, and was asked “is that all you got?”, Edgar could have told her to go to hell. Having specifically said no to the boss, how could she then say she did know more? Was she lying now or lying then? Either way, it’s the interrogation room and - gasp - the Division, of which everyone, except Jack, is terrified. Edgar could deny, and Chloe would back him up.

Why not just cut power and phone service to that part of LA? Or ALL of LA if need be? Terrorists lining up an internet broadcast of the trial of the SecDef, on U.S. soil, location known to a reasonable radius, and yet the broadcast can’t be stopped? All they can think to do is blow the ever-living crap out of the place? Take the grid off-line. It may at least buy time, no? Sure, they may kill SecDef as soon as the lights go out, but a) the trial won’t get broadcast, b) he won’t be killed in front of the whole world by terrorists on U.S. soil, and c) he’s likely a goner anyway (and certainly is if you launch a missile strike on the place).

Am I missing something?

Or can they do all kinds of freaky tech wizardry in 10 minutes, but it would take hours to kill the power?

Jake

I’m not very good at wild-ass guesses for 24, but that’s not gonna stop me!

My guess for the shocker is that Secretary of Defense Heller (and, by extension, the President) really is guilty of crimes against humanity. Something really bad, not just “He’s part of the Great Satan.” The briefcase contains some sort of evidence to that effect. The white guy Audrey recognized is some sort of US Government whistleblower who works for the State Department, and that’s why she recognized him.

I base this hypothesis solely on the meager fact that the line “If this trial happens, it’ll embarrass this country” has been repeated about ten times now. It doesn’t seem right to me. The execution of the Secretary of Defense might piss off America. It might gave America some sympathy from the rest of the world. It might give America carte blanche to start really stomping some heads. But I don’t see how it’s embarrassing.

I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong next week though :slight_smile:

P.S. To all the Chloe lovers out there – what are you, blind? That Sarah chick in CTU is smoking hot. And Aisha Tyler’s not bad looking either. But CHLOE? :eek:

They might have had their own generator. Indeed, if they were occupying an abandoned building or some ramshackle hut, they pretty much would have needed a generator.

True - hence power and phone service. They’re getting on the net somehow…I know it’s a World Wide Web and all, but one needs an entry point, no?

Again, I may be missing something…and my knowledge of just how one establishes onself as an internet presence is extremely limited…but you’d think it would be worth a try. Certainly rather than jumping to the “well, no other choice to stop this but a missile strike” conclusion.