2nd Amendment demonstration

Yeah, it’s been a pretty bad month for that sort of thing. 4000 Harlem Shake videos uploaded to YouTube every day.

Well, I saw at least one long gun being held and not slung over the shoulder. Christ, I’m not a city slicker, but grew up in rural America with plenty of bird and game hunters around. The most fun weapon I’ve shot is an AK47 on auto (in China), and I took my father in law (who hasn’t shot a weapon since being on the Chinese side of the Korean war) out to the shooting range when he visited America and we blew off a box of rounds.

I’d be more impressed if 2nd Amendment demonstrators are not out there with visible holsters, slung long guns, and carrying “assault style” long guns in their hands. YMMV.

This was supposed to be a big “Day of Resistance” protest all across the country by gun fetishists (I have a bad habit of listening to right-wing radio.) It was a huge failure. If you saw 20 people, you saw one of the biggest crowds of the day.

Not to belittle the effort, it might have been 30. And the Impeach Obama guy might have sucked away a few that overlap. :wink:

On a local carry forum, we noted it but the consensus was that it was a general anti-Obama administration protest rather than specifically about firearms. Many pro-gun people feel that bundling the gun issue with other issues isn’t a good idea; certainly the Republicans put guns at about 11th or 12th on their priority list.

Yeah, on the radio this morning they were interviewing this lady protester: “It doesn’t matter what the government thinks about the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd amendment is an amendment ordained by God and transcends any Federal law.”

I’m going to assume this lady was Christian. You know, a woman saved by that guy that supposedly taught humility, mercy and understanding?

Not this guy.

Well if it’s just one person, they’ll think he’s just really sick. And if it’s just two of them, they’ll just question their sexuality*. At three I believe they call it an organization. It takes 50 to make it a movement.

*cite

Bad on them for completely fucking up the “peaceably” part. Idiots.

50, 50 people to walk into a public rally, shoot off a few rounds into the air, and walk out.

How so? How many arrests? Any violence? Any laws broken? Did the one cop there have to stir at all? Sounds pretty peaceable to me.

It’s not “peaceable” when you show up with guns, and a threat to use them. “The 2nd protecs the 1st” is a (misspelled) death threat. The whole point of displaying guns like that is to intimidate and terrorize; that’s not “peaceable”.

Fortunately the law does not see it that way.

Irrelevant. A threat is a threat regardless of whether or not the law chooses to acknowledge it.

Irrelevant. It is not a threat just because you shrilly think it is.

That fact that they are threatening violence to get their way and carrying weapons while they do it does make it a threat.

Do you think open-carry is a “threat” too?

That Costco is just 5 miles from the headquarters of the Second Amendment Foundation, perhaps their staff was just out for lunch at the food court :wink:

Typically yes, outside of contexts where they have a reasonable need for a weapon (police, hunting, firing range, etc). People go around showing off a weapon to intimidate others. It’s a way of saying “suck up to me or I just might kill you”.

I dunno. I don’t see it often, but the last open carry guy I saw was a walking poster boy for fine upstanding citizen. He was probably an off-duty LE officer or something.

Open carry doesn’t bother me that much because there seems to be strong peer pressure to set a good example.

Fortunately the law uses a reasonable person standard.