A Fish Tale (very mundane and pointless, but hopefully funny)

Once upon a time, I was a serious fish geek. You know the type, with tanks of all sizes and descriptions bubbling away in every corner of the house. Those days are long behind me, but there’s still one relic of that time - Fish. Fish is a fully grown African lungfish who has been with me since he was a 7/8" hatchling more than 20 years ago. Since then, he has transformed into a three foot long eel-like behemeth as thick as a man’s arm, capable of living out of water for hours and traveling long distances on land. He is also armed with needle-sharp teeth designed for stripping flesh and muscle to the bone in a fraction of a second, and jaws capable of nipping off human digits without strain. If he’s hungry, he stands on his tail and bangs open the lid of his tank - despite it being weighted with bricks - over and over until I provide him with piscine sacrifices. In short, although he’s no Carcharodon megalodon, an agitated Fish is not something even an experienced keeper confronts lightly.

So there I was, watching television and quietly minding my own business, when I heard thunderous splashes coming from Fish’s tank. I figured after he rocketed around his surroundings like Secretariat a few times, he’d realize no food was forthcoming and he’d settle down. More fool I. I turned around just in time to watch him delicately push the entire aquarium cover to one side and slither to the floor with the grace of a python descending from a tree.

Fortunately some brightly colored objects attracted Fish’s attention long enough for my father and I to round up the glass tank lid and a large box to herd him into. Fish, as one might expect, was none too thrilled with this plan.

So how did this fearsome predator react to the sight of two even larger predators intent on making him do something he didn’t want to do? Did he, perhaps, threaten us with those powerful jaws? Elude us with his startling speed? Thrash wildly to make his slimy form harder to grab? Oh no.

He puffed up his head and … emitted the loudest farting noise I have ever heard. No elephant could out-trumpet, or out-fart, Fish. My father and I dissolved in laughter. Apparently this wasn’t the result he was hoping for, so he tried again. And again. Do you have any idea how hard it is to concentrate on corralling a wayward fish to the sound of that racket? Come to think of it, perhaps there was more method to Fish’s plan than I realized…

After a couple of daredevil attempts, we did successfully wrangle him back into his tank. The box is the worse for wear - remember what I said about those teeth? - but Fish appears unscathed and the humans are fine, if occasionally prone to outbursts of maniacal laughter.

OMG, too funny!

You know how everybody always asks for cute little puppy and kitty pics? We need a pic of Fish. Cute or not.

:: goes off snickering about farting fish ::

Yep, that pic is mandatory after that tail … er … tale. Fish farts! Mwahahaha!!! :smiley:

Very entertaining story!! So just what does Fish (or should he be renamed Behemoth? Terminator? Ohmigodthatthinghasteeth?) eat? (other than wayward humans that is)

That would be farting fishFACE! (Snerk)
Yes! Yes! Pictures of Fish! We want Pictures!

Years ago, we had a female Texas Cichlid named Stanley. (Named by a group of preschoolers.) Stanley was our watch fish. She would bristle all her fins, turn bright blue and race around franticly whenever a stranger came into the house.
She’d face the outside of the tank and wiggle like a puppy whenever one of us came near. She liked to be petted. I’d cup my hand just under the water, and she’d slide through it.
I really miss that fish.

Fish is much too large for me to successfully photograph in his entirety, but here’s the dangerous end. Sorry for the poor photo quality; I was simply grateful the camera flash didn’t disturb him the first time and didn’t want to push my luck. He’s kept in an unlit aquarium to prevent him spooking at shadows, as he’s quite capable of breaking the aquarium glass if he hits it with enough force. He’s already broken several lids, and after talking to other lungfish keepers, apparently they’re notorious tankbreakers. They’re fast healers, so even if he got cut on the broken glass HE would be fine, but I fear for my Greyhound and my cat, not to mention the logistics of all that water on the floor, and the necessity of finding temporary housing for Fish.

To answer Mama Zappa’s question, I feed him a steady diet of feeder goldfish and rosies. For economics, nutrition, and convenience I would greatly prefer to feed him on larger, frozen fish, properly thawed and dangled on the end of tongs, but the other nasty habit of captive lungfish is biting off their keeper’s fingers. I had no fear of feeding an adult stonefish using that method, but I know Fish well enough not to risk it.

Barring my making good on my threats to turn him into sushi if he misbehaves, Fish will outlive me, and I have no earthly clue to whom I’m going to will him. Any takers? :smiley:

Fish is much too large for me to successfully photograph in his entirety, but here’s the dangerous end. Sorry for the poor photo quality; I was simply grateful the camera flash didn’t disturb him the first time and didn’t want to push my luck. He’s kept in an unlit aquarium to prevent him spooking at shadows, as he’s quite capable of breaking the aquarium glass if he hits it with enough force. He’s already broken several lids, and after talking to other lungfish keepers, apparently they’re notorious tankbreakers. They’re fast healers, so even if he got cut on the broken glass HE would be fine, but I fear for my Greyhound and my cat, not to mention the logistics of all that water on the floor, and the necessity of finding temporary housing for Fish.

To answer Mama Zappa’s question, I feed him a steady diet of feeder goldfish and rosies. For economics, nutrition, and convenience I would greatly prefer to feed him on larger, frozen fish, properly thawed and dangled on the end of tongs, but the other nasty habit of captive lungfish is biting off their keeper’s fingers. I had no fear of feeding an adult stonefish using that method, but I know Fish well enough not to risk it.

Barring my making good on my threats to turn him into sushi if he misbehaves, Fish will outlive me, and I have no earthly clue to whom I’m going to will him. Any takers? :smiley:

He looks a bit pissed off to me… Very snake-like! Thanks for the picture.

No takers here! I’m, um, allergic to fish. Uh, yeah, that’s the only reason. Otherwise, I’d be glad to. :wink:

He would eat my dogs!

With it being a lungfish: you’re not afraid of coming home one day, finding the lid to the tank pushed away, and Fish lurking in you livingroom somehwere? Or maybe worse? :eek:

Fish is the aquatic version of Chuck Norris. He doesn’t sleep, he waits.

Mmm, well, you see… that’s already happened. Fish once spent an overnighter on the living room floor after breaking the tank lid and crawling around for a while on the freshly cleaned carpet. By the time he was discovered at the entrance to my bedroom, he was bone dry, and the cleaning chemicals had burned off most of his skin and all of his fins. At that point, he was considerably easier to handle than he was in the encounter I described above. We dumped him back in his tank and over the course of months he regenerated all of his damaged and missing body parts and has been just as irascible as ever. **Mama Zappa[/]'s suggestion of “Terminator” as a name is most appropriate, although I still favor “OMGThatThingHasTeeth.”

Mad Maxx - ROTLMAO!

picunurse - I agree that big cichlids can make delightful pets. I can’t say I’ve ever had one quite as personable as Stanley was. I did have a saltwater gobie who came close, but even he wasn’t as attuned to the presence of strangers as your fish was. Thanks for your great story. I mourn Stanley’s loss along with you.

I am totally freaked out by this. I have no idea why I’m so bothered by this, I’m not a pussy, but dang. Creeeeeepy.

AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE BEDROOM???

Fish/Termy/Teeth was trying to kill you as you slept :eek:

On the positive side: it’ll be a strong incentive to clean your carpets regularly - those chemicals may be all that stood between you and a fate worth of News Of The Weird :wink:

I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t worry at all about a lungfish killing me as I slept. There’s simply no way I’d be able to fall asleep with one of those in the house.

My friend bought a tortoise and says that only after she paid and read the sign about no refunds for any reason did they tell her it would live to be 100. :smack: She also named it Felicity and kept it at the school she taught at; years later “that fleshy thing” was IDed as a penis but she kept the name. The best part was when she got a call at home on a weekend; Felicity had bust out of her enclosure and started roaming the halls, which activated the motion alarm. The cops were there but stayed outside.

She eventually gave Felicity to someone very knowledgeable about tortoises who will give her a home indefinitely.

You could see if a local aquarium wants him. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago proudly features their own, Granddad, who’s at least 80 years old.

Sheesh, that’s a scary-looking fish. I had no idea that lungfish do so well in captivity. How much does Fish weigh?

Great article in the link! But how could anyone mistake that for a salmon?? I’d be terrified of a fish that big, far too scared to clean and cook it.
My brother thinks it’s cute when his prawn gets out of the tank and hangs out in the kitchen; Fish is an entirely different story.

Great… now I’ve got the following in my head:

Fish farts
Fish farts
rolly polly fish farts

Fish farts
Fish farts
smell them up - yum!

I’m afraid of dog farts. Terrified of cat farts. Fish farts really don’t scare me, other than the mild fear that I’d never be able to catch my breath after laughing myself silly.