A solution to homeless hunger, one prank call at a time

It doesn’t have to be one or the other, does it? The restaurant certainly does not make a habit of feeding police for free. Only after he identified himself as a police officer and lied about the situation (We don’t want to blow their cover) did they agree to take some food out. My guess is that any cop who walked in and asked for free food would be refused.

Plus, Mabe called it his way to feed the homeless. Essentially, he was stealing from the restaurant, when he could have just bought the food and fed them himself. I like his telemarketer trick, but this is just stupid. Who was he pranking? The counter guy at White Castle? Woo Hoo! Way to go dude! You really nailed him!

Yeah, there seemed to be something… off about his reaction.

Also, the stakeout thing seems moronic. Did the two undercover agents take the entirety of the PD’s wardrobe, so that there couldn’t be another undercover cop to pose as a good Samaritan and drop off some food?

Plus, when I worked at a supermarket deli, if someone asked me to give out free food to the goddamn President, I’d send them to my manager. I’d imagine fast food workers would cover their asses even tighter.

Of course not, but on just your average general real world experience, is it usually both?

Not trying to be a bitch here, because you could own a White Castle, but do you know that for a fact? That specific one? For I’m wondering if they’re like other chains and can be independently owned.

Similarly, that’s how it works. An officer shows up in uniform and either gets his/her meal entirely comped or a substantial discount.

Well, from my other life as a waitress, they don’t come in and request it so much as that it’s just offered. Furthermore, they know which establishments have this deal and those that don’t. I have no idea their selection choices regarding that matter though.

Again, I just assumed I didn’t know the outcome. Whether or not he paid White Castle or not. Considering he seems to be something of a celebrity, I wouldn’t imagine it would be good for his career or image if theft was readily provable. But I don’t really know the guy, so I can’t say. Nor can I guess if he routinely helps the homeless in any way, either by donations or actually volunteerism.

I like his telemarketer trick, but this is just stupid. Who was he pranking? The counter guy at White Castle? Woo Hoo! Way to go dude! You really nailed him!
[/QUOTE]
I’ve never seen/heard that first bit, but as to what we watched, I was under the impression that he was indeed pranking the irony of it all. Immediately that would fall to ‘harming’ the business or the like. If he ultimately paid but thought it would be grandstanding to admit anything more, I view it as a judgment of society at large.

Yeah and Troy, I thought the exact same thing about someone showing up in their own version of a homeless person get-up. I also wonder if those same guys were in the same spot daily, which would make me question the decision of those in that White Castle (what, they’d never noticed them before? they only jump up and comply to what a supposed authoritarian figure says? they’ll enable them otherwise? what?). Or had those guys just then shown up that day? Kinda weird overall all.

I think it would be funnier if he had called the manager and asked him to have his employees strip.

Nah, too farfetched.

Just wait until the restaurant catches on, and then calls the real police:

MANAGER: Hi, I’d like to report a scam.

POLICE DISPATCHER: What seems to be the problem, Sir?

MANAGER: Well, a couple weeks ago we gave some food to a pair of homeless men outside our restaurant, after receiving a phone call from a police officer claiming that these men were actually undercover officers on a stakeout, and could we bring some food out to them. Well … these same guys have been sitting out there every day since then, and … well, they don’t really seem to be watching anything. Well, they keep watching the door, like they’re waiting for us to bring them more food …

DISPATCHER: Sir, it would violate department policy to place such a call or make such a request. It sounds as if somebody was impersonating an officer.

MANAGER: Omigod! I’ll bet it was one of those homeless guys who called!

DISPATCHER: Are they outside of your restaurant now, Sir?

MANAGER: Yes, yes they are.

DISPATCHER: All right, we’ll send a car around.
And then Mr. Mabe can videotape the hilarity that ensues as the pair of bewildered homeless men try desperately to prove that, two weeks ago, they didn’t have any change to use the nearby pay phone, and couldn’t have made any such phone call. :rolleyes:

I used to work in a convenience/liquor/deli store. We allowed the police certain privileges that were not available to the general public. For one thing, we let them use our private (employee only) restroom. The owner of the store liked for cops to stop in now and then, because he felt that their presence was a mild deterrent to the unsavory element that sometimes hung around. We were not allowed to give the cops anything material, we were just told to be friendly to them and let them use the bathroom, phone, etc. The cops never asked for anything to be comped, either…and this was in Las Vegas.

On the other hand, we frequently had homeless people come in asking for free or discounted merchandise, harrassing our staff, and harrassing our other customers. There were a few of them who were quite accomplished in the art of shoplifting, too.

Tom Mabe was scamming the restaurant. I’m sure that the two homeless guys would have been happy with anyone giving them some food. If Mabe wanted to feed them, he was free to do so, he shouldn’t have scammed anyone. But then, he wouldn’t have a “funny” video prank to show, would he?

Dunno. How does that apply here?

I suppose we could imagine whatever we like, but all we can go with is what is in the video. Did he say that restaurant regularly feeds cops? Did he say he was exploring the irony of such a situation? Or did he say that this was how he fed the homeless?

Says you. I have about twenty years experience working in restaurants and I have never seen it happen. And it didn’t happen in the video. Which means you are pretty much making it up, at least as far as this situation is concerned.

You seem fond of this false dichotomy thing. Here are some other things about him that you do not know, based on the video.

1)Whether he is married.
2)What his favorite color is.
3)His criminal record.
4)His dog’s name, if he has one.
5)Etc., etc., etc.

Bringing up that he might volunteer to help the homeless is just bizarre. He might sneak around at night in ninja suits and steal their blankets. Then what would you say?

Why? Where did he mention irony? That’s not what he does. Do a search for him. Check his website. Watch the one where he gets two fat guys who are fishing to strip down and do jumping jacks while he sprays them with water, and tell me how society is the real target.

If his aunt had had any balls, she would have been his uncle. Unfortunately, that is not in the video, so we are left to speculate aimlessly.

Is there any evidence that these guys actually needed free food? Homeless means you don’t have a home, it doesn’t automatically mean you go hungry.

I’m not trying to downplay the difficulty of living their life, but having $5 extra at the end of the day isn’t going to put a roof over your head.

Well you see, you made an assertion and I wondered if you had definitive knowledge that the rest of us lacked. That’s why I asked rather than make the same leap myself.

I suppose we could. However, if someone can assume one way, why is the flip side of the coin off limits? As to stating a purpose, many entertainers don’t say. Comics don’t necessarily explain deadpan humor, nor musicians how they do their tricks, abstract painters their concept or writers their muse. Just because there was a lack of WHY he did what he did doesn’t mean that it wasn’t particularly any one reason over another. My perception is all.

Obviously, which is why I crouch those sorts of statements in the “in my experience” sentence types.

Your opinion.

I thought bringing it up might, just might, bear direct correlation to the subject of the video and, to me, would be as substantial an observation as one that not all people who don’t look to be so, may still need a handicapped parking space. Or is that a false dichotomy as well? And if Mabe snuck around and actually fucked with homeless people (ninja suit with standing), than he’d be a miserable ass and would shed light on his true motivation for the prank.

Again, I was talking about my perception only and of course he didn’t mention irony. You can check out why I believe that latter part by looking back over some of my thoughts above. Now as to Mabe specifically, I’m not at all familiar with his work, but if what you say is correct and the people involved aren’t marks, than the guy is indeed a dick and I need to recalibrate my Perception Meter.

True, but now that might have made for an interesting premise to focus a prank on. I had an Uncle Pam and all. :slight_smile: Similarly, I always enjoy our conversations together Contrapuntal. The exchanges are stimulating.

Well. Just well. Hmmph. Same to ya.