A Stupid Thing in Star Trek That Has Annoyed Me For Years (Add Your Own!)

First off Cite? That was never mentioned in TOS and secondly, did those shields prevent transporting?

What bugs me about that episode is that Kirk does not go around disrobing and violating every female crewmember.

A treaty with the Romulans that said they wouldn’t. They later amended the treaty so that they could have cloaking devices on a few ships (like The Defiant) to fight The Borg and/or The Dominion.

To be more specific, it’s the Treaty of Algeron:

From here.

the same episode where they are confronted with the lasers, “those wont even penetrate our navigational shields”
couldnt tell you about the transporter part but there were always problems porting over to a ship with active shields.

I used to watch the television series when it was first on. And then in one episode, I don’t remember any other details, they realized the only way to prevent a catastrophe was to somehow slingshot into the past and relive the moments that led up to the catastrophe and take action to prevent it. This they did. Once this has been done one time and this possibility has been introduced, there is no longer any tension in any future show because whatever the problem is all they have to do is slingshot back into the past and correct it. Even if they never do it again, the possibility is always there. After this I lost all interest in the show.

Why? He always got all the action he could handle, and several times as much as the next man, all of it extremely consensual.

I believe a script about this was actually written for Deep Space Nine for the Original Series’ 30th anniversary. However, it was decided to produce “Trials and Tribbleations” instead.

Given that the normal speed people didn’t move, that would be the equivalent of screwing a mannikin.
But whatever turns you on. :smiley:

I suspect they could tell the mass of something in the transporter buffer, and under those conditions they could check to see if the beamed over thing was a person or not. If not, they could reverse the transportation (the shields of the enemy would be down) and uh-oh for them.

Data, as sophisticated as he is, can’t use contractions. Except when, um, he does.

The ST:TNG combadges don’t usefully provide a continuous readout to Sickbay of one’s medical condition, or immediately notify Security if you leave the ship or go somewhere you shouldn’t be, and :smack: give the same reading remotely whether or not you actually have it on your shirt.

Worf, the fearsome Klingon warrior, is routinely overpowered or outmanuevered by just about everyone who boards the ship with hostile intent.

In TOS, people talk to each other over shipboard teleconferencing when it’s obvious there wouldn’t be a camera in the direction they’re facing.

Jamming a single turbolift door utterly isolates the Bridge.

When the Enterprise travels back in time and is orbiting the Earth (“Assignment: Earth,” “Tomorrow is Yesterday”), the ship cannot be seen by observers on the ground because it has its shields up. Riiiiiiiiight.

Picard’s a proud Frenchman, but talks with an upper-crust English accent. Why didn’t they just make the character an Englishman (of French ancestry, if they really wanted to keep that name)?

Not enough Chinese or Indian people in any Starfleet crew, given the proportions of those countries’ populations in any representative sampling of humanity (unless they really got hit hard in WWIII or the Eugenics Wars, which I suppose is possible).

How about stunning in general? From a story perspective, terrible technology.

“Shoot him! I’m the real captain!”
“No, shoot him! Don’t you remember fondling green jailbait on Eroticon Four?”
“Oh no, what do I do? I’ll have to disintegrate one of them and just take the chance!”

Instead, it the default answer should pretty much always be “Stun them both and work it out in the morning”.

-Joe

This thread is funny because virtually everything on Star Trek is incoherent or impossible (read The Physics of Star Trek). You just need to relax and enjoy the story (when there IS one) because expecting real science in science fiction is like expecting honesty in politicians.

“Vulcans cannot lie”

Except the episode in which this concept is introduced, TOS’s The Enterprise Incident, Spock is lying quite calmly and effectively. TNG would occasionally drag this idea out and use it as a plot point (“Somebody’s lying, but it can’t be Slikk because he’s a Vulcan!”) which suggested to me that somebody along the way wrote this in the series writer’s guide without actually researching it.

In the (sadly non-canon) TAS series, the Klingons discovered, developed or stole a glommer, a tribble predator.

I can’t cite the episode (movie?) but I’m pretty sure the “Vulcans don’t lie” thing was conceived as a strategic myth on the part of the Vulcans right from the get-go. Vulcans can and do lie when it suits them, they just want people to think that they don’t.

Well, when the used to have science fiction in something called “books”, it was at least sometimes worked out with rigorous logic.

I was 12 when I first saw this episode. Everything turned me on.

To quote another Shatner character:

And I could buy that it’s in their interests to let non-Vulcans believe it, but it was used as a crutch in at least one TNG episode - Data’s Day. T’Pel’s a Vulcan, Vulcans cannot lie, therefore if she seems to be lying something’s afoot! It was rather like basing an episode on one of Troi’s convenient empathic sensings.