a4v ["accepted for value"] works

If we never here from collybeauty again, can we assume he’s in prison and it didn’t work out for him?

The big problem with this stuff is that it works …for a little while… until the IRS catches up to you.

The IRS doesn’t audit everyone’s taxes every year. Using a bunch of forms, make some general misstatements, and the IRS might let you get away with it for a while. After all, people lose their jobs and have little income in one year or run a business that goes through a bad stretch.

So, people try this, and it works! They didn’t get caught. They got a big refund. They tell their friends. They found the secret! They may even successfully do the same thing the next year, and maybe the year after that.

However, sooner or later an alarm bell goes off, and you get audited. The IRS starts realizing something is really amiss. Suddenly, the bubble pops. You’re arrested, charged with tax fraud and other felonies, and dragged before the court.

At this point, you’re suppose to tell the court they can’t touch you because your name has a colon or semicolon in it, and the flag in the court room has a gold fringe, and that the United States is a corporation, and you’re a natural citizen and not a 14th amendment citizen, and that you never used a zip code. Besides, the Judge forgot to say “Mother, may I?”.

Unfortunately, whether or not you believe the court has jurisdiction, the court believes it does, and will throw you in a real, actual, not theoretical prison.

I had a coworker who went through this. He paid no taxes for three years. Every day, he fell deeper into the illusion. He stopped paying his mortgage (You can’t make a free and natural citizen pay off debt that came from a strawman false corporate entity!). Again, he was successful. The bank tried to seize his property, and he slapped various bank employees, attorneys, and public employees with various leans. For almost a year, he lived in his house without paying any taxes or mortgage.

He kept bragging about his legal victories, and how no one could touch him, and how we were all just sheeple for doing what we’re told.

Then, one day, he didn’t show up for work, and he didn’t show up the next day either. Or, the day after that. No one was able to get in contact with him. He wasn’t answering his phone. We figured he went on the lamb. A week later, someone found a newspaper article. There was a picture of him being lead away in cuffs. He was being charged with tax fraud and a half dozen other felonies.

We never found out what happened. Maybe he was right, and the court had to let him go. Maybe he lives in some tax free bliss in the Great State of Nirvana. Or, maybe he’s living in some other place where one does not have to pay taxes and gets to make license plates that say Live Free or Die on them.

MODERATOR NOTE: Personal insults are not permitted in this forum. Please keep the discussion on the topic, not on the person.

Dex, I’m not seeing an insult there. Could you explain?

I agree with kayT’s point. The OP is advocating a position that has a good chance of getting him in legal trouble. How is pointing this out a personal insult? (I’m assuming the misspelling of the OP’s name was unintentional and wasn’t what you were referring to anyway.)

More an astute observation than an insult, right?

I read the misspelt name as a jab – we’ve always said that making fun of someone’s name is a no-no. And followed by the, “… can we assume he’s in prison” seemed gratuitous.

I did NOT issue a warning, I just wanted to be sure that this thread doesn’t avalanche down that slippery slope. So my comment was really meant to keep everyone alert to avoid side-tracking into an insult-fest.

I read “l” for “i” all the time. A mistake that common I’m prepared to assume is a mistake.

I’ve been typing “j” for “i” all day. Haven’t done that before, but if I miss correcting one it’s just a typo, not an insult, cojlybeauty.

I knew a boss once who had a somewhat unusual name that people often misspelled. And he felt that some people were misspelling his name intentionally. So he issued a memo with all of the ways he could think of to misspell his name and he divided them into two lists. He wrote the misspellings in the first list would be acceptable because he felt they were “honest” misspellings that people might make unintentionally. But he felt the misspellings in the second list were misspellings nobody could make by accident so the people using them must be intentionally misspelling his name and he would take disciplinary action against them for insubordination.

We believe you, Harpo, we know you’re cool with misspellings.

Prepping for the Last Crusade, are you?

I think I worked at the same place. Guy’s name was Figpucker, right?

And it was a pheasant plucking shop, right?

No. Sock cutting.

I wasn’t trying to insult his name. I misread it. Sorry.

Спасибо.

Another way the stuff may sneak into the realm of ‘it works’ is with small debts. Because fighting A4Vnutjobs over small debts isn’t financially worth it, companies may cut their losses and stop pursuing the debt, and thus the impression is gained that the process worked.

Agreed. Many companies are in business to collect debts of $78, debts that are beyond the statute of limitations and unenforceable at law, or debts that are legally questionable for other reasons. They buy them in bulk for pennies. They send out a bill, and a few people pay up. Large profit in their pockets. If the debtor doesn’t respond, protests, calls a lawyer, or does absolutely anything, including sovereign citizen stuff, then the company disregards the debt.

The result is that sovereign citizen persons then have the false belief that they “won” with their legal wizardry, when simply throwing the bill in the garbage would have done the same.

I hadn’t heard of this “sovereign citizen” cranks before now. Consider ignorance fought. Whether my life has been enriched by this nugget is debatable.

I was going to post something similar to the above, that could account for perceived successes. Some companies purchase debt that is no longer enforceable in a court of law and harass the erstwhile debtor to pay up. A little bit of resistance and they back off. (No response usually equals more phone calls) Unless the IRS is a much kinder tax collection service then I am used to, I doubt the normal statute of limitations applies to them.

Is it possible that these people honestly misunderstand contract law? The way I’ve heard the a4v is that by putting “Accepted for value” on the check, you are offering terms for a deal. If they cash it, they have accepted your terms and thus there is a binding contract. Any SD lawyer could explain exactly why this fails but given most people’s understanding of the law, this seems to make sense as a loophole.