American Idol: 2/21

Ah, I thought intramural had something to do with co-ed. I should have just said co-ed finals.

Cricetus out!

I give up. What is POTAB?

Planet of the Apes Boy. A nickname given to Scott by one of his group members that he flaked out on. I can’t imagine how it is at all fitting. <winky smiley here>

Constantine has always bugged me, but tonight he was absolutely sleazy. He was muttering into the damned microphone too.

For the first time, I got something other than a serial killer vibe from Scott. I really enjoyed his performance.

Nikko baby, you’ve got to lose the hat. This isn’t Lidsville Idol.

I like Nikko in the hat. I think it suits him.

As my friend said, Nikko was fedorable. (Groan!)

1. Nikko: Sounded good, but too much like Stevie Wonder. I like to hear a song done in a voice different from the one I’m familiar with. And he seemed to be getting weak towards the end. Considering that I was pulling for him going in to this, I feel let down.

2. Scott: Beautifully done. I think in this case, Simon’s jerkishness was meant to help. If he’d praised Scott, that wouldn’t necessarily inspired people to vote who wouldn’t have otherwise. But as it is, people were probably saying, “F*ck you, Simon! I’m voting for this guy; I like him!”

3. Anthony: Good voice, swoonworthy performance. And he can act, which a lot of contestants can’t do! But he needs to stop doing that thing with his legs.

4. Bo: Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh. My. God.

JPL did the same song last year, and his performance was as nothing, compared to this. Bo’s phrasing was different and it worked, he worked the stage like I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy do on AI, and his voice is like Jack Daniels flavored hickory barbecue sauce. I don’t even remember what the judges said; I didn’t care.

5: Travis: This is the point at which I started to wonder if it sounded different in the studio than over the airwaves. I thought he had a wonderful, sensual voice the likes of which I don’t think has ever been heard on this show. Maybe Randy is too old and the other two are too white to appreciate him.

1. Constantine: Gah! Too overblown, and he didn’t enunciate. And could they have pimped him any more with that lighting scheme? But I noticed that Simon’s comments basically translated to “You’ve got a fanbase, so it doesn’t even matter what I say.”

2. David: Didn’t do anything for me.

3. Jared: Uh…the fact that I don’t remember much about his performance probably sums it up.

4. Anwar: Amazing! He took a syrupy ballad, did it in his own style, and made it totally not corny. But what was up with his shirt?

10: Judd: Now, he was doing the same thing JPL did last year: thinking that an in-your-face performance will compensate for a mediocre voice. It didn’t.

1. Joseph: I dunno. I just can’t get past the fact that he looks almost exactly like Chris Kattan when he sings.

12: Mario: Watching his performance, I realized why I don’t like him. He’s so much like Menudo, and I despised Menudo. So from now on, I’m going to reserve comment, because I don’t think I can be objective.

Go Bo!! And Scott Sable/Sabol/Savol/Whatever.

But if you really want to impress me, let’s hear some Queen. Love 'em or hate 'em, you have to admit Freddy had a fantastic voice. :smiley:

There does seem to be the chance they’ll do it this year. They’ve been warming the viewing audience (and the singers) up to it a bit. The one guy early on who didn’t sound at all like Freddie that all the judges insisted sounded just like him in auditions with “We Are the Champions.” One of the Hollywood rounds having “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” as a song choice.

I’d love to see it. There’s so much variety in the catalogue that Bo will not get burned with schmaltz and can growl a little, but all the prissy girls can sing “You’re My Best Friend” or “Save Me” (with some arranging) or “Somebody to Love” like the little trilling melisma divas they wish they were. It’d just be hilarious to hear “Fat Bottomed Girls” on FOX.

Then again, maybe it’s just a little blip to get my hopes up, and they’ll do a Dionne Warwick night with a Four Tops chaser instead.

so did Scott make it through or not?? ??

We won’t know the results until Wednesday.

What is the title of the song Constantine sang, and who is is by? Thanks :slight_smile:

I blocked it out for the most part 'cause I can’t stands the man, but I’m pretty sure it was “Kiss From a Rose” by Seal (I despise that song too incidentally). :wink:

They’re quite female :slight_smile: Two of them he was hitting on directly as he signed their playbills and the other one he was motioning for her to come over - she was more than happy to stay at a distance.

I’m pulling really hard for Scott, although I also like Mario a lot. I think Scott ought to throw all caution to the wind and sing Unchained Melody — not because Simon likes it, but because it is so damned hard to sing, and when sung correctly sticks with the listener like a good plate of ribs.

Who is Nicco’s father?

Ozzie Smith, Hall of Fame Shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals famous for his defense and for doing a backflip before every game.

He really looks like him.

Anwar’s the class of this lot. Let’s get on with the voting. The rest of you, have a nice life.

Already been answered, but just felt like adding that Ozzie Smith was one of the pure entertainers in baseball. He didn’t just play well, he was a real showman. So it kind of makes sense for his son to be a singer.

I notice they’ve downplayed the famous dad now. Must not want to give him an unfair advantage over the others.

I wasn’t able to get through for anybody tried to vote for right after the show ended. I didn’t try later because I got preoccupied reading. What bugs me is that the pretty boys who aren’t necessarily the best singers will get all the teenbopper votes. Maybe since they are only cutting the two bottom there is still a good chance that this vote will actually eliminate the worst singers.

I really think that these finalists are much better than previous years. At least there’s no one really cringeworthy, so far.