American Idol: 2/21

Too bad that you didn’t go see “Rent” last year in Chicago - Constantine was one of the main players. He also hit on my friends after the show. His performance in the show itself was sub-par.

Are your friends male or female?

I also heard he played the title character in some production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

And for all you wiseacres out there, I’m going to ruin your joke by saying I don’t mean he played the Angry Inch.

Ok, interface2x, we await your answer to Diogenes question…fingers crossed.

Nice job, Slacker and I’m glad I didn’t read it before posting my own impressions. Now I feel astute instead of like a mere copycat. :wink:

Crazy predictions:

1.Nikko avoids the axe since old folks are voting for his Daddy.

2.Constantine volunteers to be the first Amazing AI Makeover, purposefully ditching the faux rocker thing and aiming for a GQ suave style.

3.Scott becomes the first contestant with a room to himself since the other fella’s would rather sleep on the kitchen counter where they can keep a close eye on the sharper cutlery.

Anyone else? :smiley:

I can’t wait to see what happens with the females tomorrow. Dio-do you want to start the thread tomorrow or would you like me to? You are kindof the official AI on here.

In the past we’ve basically just used the same thread for both (or in this case three) episodes of the week.
I don’t mind if you want to start a new thread but if you don’t, then this will most likely stay the default thread for the week. I won’t start a new one myself anyway.

You could also start the thread next week if you want. If you’d rather take over those duties, that’s ok with me. I was just doing it because nobody else was.

I figured you were just really into AI, as I am. You are the senior member around here.

I am really into it but I don’t insist on being the one to start the threads. Feel free. Really. I’d be happy just to post in them. :slight_smile:

I would just like to take this moment to say:

Go Bo! Go Bo! Go Bo!

That was nice, Mr. Bice.

Even Simon agreed.

If AI really wants a male winner this year, they’d better start working with those guys and teach them about appropriate song choices. Even my favourites sounded a little off tonight. It might be nerves, but it could also be that there were some really crappy song choices tonight.

Yeah, that had to be the suprise of the night for me.

I like Bo but I hope he doesn’t end up getting routed into a genre that doesn’t suit him. He should be in a guitar band doing straight up rock. He’s good enough to record in that genre already and I hope if he wins (or gets a contract at all) he’s allowed to play his guitar and do his own originals instead of being forced to do horrible, boy band, pop fluff.

So far, nobody I hate. That’s kind of a nice surprise after last season.
Anwar ROCKED. Super, terrific, really unique, one of the best performances ever. Took a boooring song and made it really, really good, as opposed to many of the other people who took a good song and made it boring. This showed his talent more than anything else, and I bet he’ll get signed right off even if he doesn’t win.
Scott has a beautiful voice, but he looks like he’s going to mug you or something. Scary. I really hate to see that voice wasted, but I suspect that teenyboppers aren’t going to whip out their text messages for talent alone.
I like Bo, but he needs to find a song that suits him better. This one I felt was kind of limiting, and I want to see him given more free rein.
I really like Constantine. Oodles of charisma, as the judges pointed out, and I like that he can take sweet songs and make them his without sacrificing their sweetness or his attitude. Yeah, it’s probably mostly a pose. The world needs another Young Lion.
I LOATHE Michael Bolton, but I thought that was a decent version of the song. I don’t remember the guy’s name who did it.
Mario was terrific! The contest is not just about talent, it’s about the ability to move an audience, and he certainly did. Excellent performance!
My vote for best tonight would be Anwar, followed closely by Mario.

I’ve been rooting like a fiend for him ever since that tiny teeny smidgeon of a clip they had of him singing “The Letter.”

Of course, with a name like “Bo Bice” he has to be my favorite.

That could happen, I agree. I’m disappointed in what they’ve done to Fantasia, though I expected it to happen.

I am just thrilled at the moment. Next week, he’ll have to sing Barry Manilow or something and will crash and burn and I’ll be hiding behind the couch.

Er, that is if he makes it. sob

I was more of a Constantine fan until tonight. He was a little to smarmy with his expressions while singing, a little to in love with himself.

Bo impressed me cause I thought the song was perfect for him and he did it so well.

I just wanna eat Mario with a spoon.

All of a sudden I’m reminded of Anwar’s jacket. That thing was terrible. Anwar, honey, you are beautiful and your voice is like silk, but that jacket was completely ill-advised. It was weird for the sake of weird, and way too big on him. Even the color was wrong for him. Dammit, I judge a book by its cover and I really want to love Anwar, but that jacket? You’re not making it easy for me to love you.

I thought Nikko looked really sharp. And I loved Judd’s pants.

Lots of boring performances but for some reason the show was entertaining. It’s clearly a better group than last year’s show.

Bo and Nikko were OK. I was disappointed in Scott’s music choice. I was also disappointed in Anwar and think he might be riding on expectations for a few weeks before he’s exposed as not being as good as we all thought he’d be. Constantine isn’t that good and I’m going to get really sick of his flirty little pouts. Anthony bugs me. Mario was off pitch and they didn’t bother telling him about it because he was energetic… that won’t keep working for him. The CCR guy was OK, just for a change of pace. I sort of forget the rest. The song choices have to get better… if taking a risk is going with classic rock songs we’re all sick of or Henry Mancini glurge instead of top 40, we’re in trouble.

I predict Travis and David get canned this week. I can’t imagine them inspiring people to dial. I even think it’s safe to project that the six survivors for the intramural finals will be Nikko, Scott, Anwar, Mario, Anthony, and Constantine. There will be a hue and outcry that Constantine stays when Bo goes, but I think Constantine will get girls working the dials better than Bo.

I just made the connection - Scott bothers me so much because everytime I see him I think of Vincent D’Onofrio in “Full Metal Jacket” just before he kills R. Lee Ermey and blows his brains out.

YIKES.