Ask The Cougar

Yes, but I’ve always been ahead of my time.

Yeah- hooking up permanently with someone that much younger than I is totally out of the question. Not a valid lifestyle choice for me, you could say. But good for a pick-me-up, sure!

Just wanted to say… I heartily approve of this thread! (I’m 49)

I have nothing to ask off the top of my head, just wanted to say YOU GO GIRL!

(I will be following this with great interest however, I am writing a book right now where the main character is a 37 year old widow with 2 teenagers; she has just hired a 25 year old ranch hand and the sparks they are a flyin’. It is complicated further by the teenage daughter ALSO having a ginormous crush on said ranch hand…)

Has anyone else enviously thought, “BOY TOY Mmmmmm…”?

(was 47 in July)

So this middle-aged guy goes elk hunting around Pinedale, Wyoming. After a few days he decides to go into town for a dinner and a couple of beers. After a bit he notices a pretty good looking, 55ish, woman looking at him so he figures,“What the hey,” and asks her over to his table for a beer and some talk.

They hit it off, dance a bit, really enjoy each other. Finally she leans over and says, “How’d you like a Wyoming hunter’s special?”

“Wyoming hunter’s special? What’s that?”

“Honey, that’s a mother-daughter threesome.”

That sounded good to him so they took off. They drove to her house and when she went in the front door she yelled up the stairs, “You still awake mom?”
Just wanted to share.

I do jokingly refer to him as my boytoy, but I try to make sure he knows that I really do like him as a person and am not just using him for sex. I don’t think most males would have as much of a problem being labeled one as most women would, though.

:smiley: God, I love this place!

Ironically, my book is set in the real town of Muddy Gap… WYOMING…

I can’t think of any questions at the moment, but at 43, the only downside I can see of hanging around with a younger guy, is like you said, the lack of conversation and shared reference points. If guys could do it for decades, I’m glad it is becoming more acceptable for women to do it, too.

Life is long, but the days are short…

My wife is 13 years younger than I. So she was 4 years old when I graduated high school.

No, we didn’t know each other then. Just as well because dating would have been awkward.

How do your kids feel about you having a Gentleman Caller not that much older than they are?

A good friend of mine has mentioned the awkwardness he experienced when his parents divorced and his mum went through “Woo! Yeah! Party!” stage of adjusting to single life. He’d be sitting in the dining room having his breakfast before going to work and find himself talking to some guy about his age (who was looking for the coffee or whatever) that had clearly spend the night there with my friend’s mum.

Personally, I’m glad you’re happy and I think it’s wonderful that society is becoming more accepting of the idea of mature ladies with younger gentlemen- there’s a lot of benefits for both parties and I’m sure you’re both learning a lot from each other!

My wife and I are 10 years apart (well, I remind her “9 years, 9 months, 18 days”, she is a little sensitive about her age) and we get along quite well.

As for the OP: there is the standard creepiness rule (ie "Don’t date anyone under (age/2)+7)) numbers I’ve run through that algorithm make sense, and unfortunately your boy toy does fall outside that, but hey, what’s a rule without exceptions. Perhaps the acceptable age lowers in direct proportion to how well they are in bed? :smiley:

I wouldn’t call you a “cougar” though, as cougars prefer young guys. Your current beau just happens to be young. You ain’t going to roam the high schools for your next one or anything, so you’re still normal. :wink:

And question for the OP: How soon did you/he find out about the age difference, and what was your/his first reaction?

You answered “who seduced who” but who first approached who? Did you meet via personals where ages are up front or in a group setting (like a message board) before you knew each other’s age?

Well, that’s an interesting description of a hand job…

I’ve mentioned before that when the Grandparents from Hell started dating, the biggest objection from anybody and everybody was the age difference: she is older than him! By a whole… calendar check… 345 days! Ohnoes!

She brings it up any time age differences are mentioned and ends with “they were just envious, those bitches.”

That guideline is only for long-term and serious relationships is it not? She has stated this is not her choice in man for the rest of her life.

Oh, now I see you linked to XKCD. Here I was actually making a serious reply. Nevermind me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am relieved to know that I’m not actually a cougar- I don’t much like that word, anyway, as I’ve said.

As to who seduced who and how we met- it was in a group setting, much like a message board, but not a dating site. It started out with just friendly instant messaging here and there and we became, something like friends? I don’t know what he was thinking at the time, but no way would it ever enter my mind to hit on a guy that much younger than I. It’s so out of my MO that I wouldn’t have even thought about it. But after being friends with him for a while, when he mentioned really coming to visit me, I tried to think of why he couldn’t. And I couldn’t think any of any reason why not, so I let him. It wasn’t really until the first night he was here that I started entertaining serious thoughts about doing him. He has a sweet and sexy little body, man just thinking about it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, my kids- oh no way. They do not know and will never know. They would be so mortified. It might almost be worth telling them just to see the looks of horror and disgust on their faces, but no, this is none of their damn business.

Good on you! Glad you’re enjoying yourself… and having a life of your own, too. :wink:

I have to ask, do you really think this? That people 50+ are drooling and peeing their pants? Because WE AIN’T.

I’m not yet 50 (46 at the moment) but my husband is in his 50s. Something tells me you’d be shocked that your life, especially your sex life, doesn’t end when you start to get a little gray. :rolleyes:

But you have to admit that you probably thought the same about older people when you were young. It’s a common misconception- I joke about it a lot because that’s how I deal with my aging issues, but I think it’s perfectly normal for a young person to see a person in their 50’s as fairly decrepit.

I see it as a chance to fight ignorance.

That’s fine, but your tone may also reinforce negative stereotypes about cranky old ladies, too. :stuck_out_tongue: Just saying.