Ask the fellow who bought an iPad on launch day

I sort of got one on Saturday and I can echo what Mr Excellent has said. ‘Sort of’ is because I expected it to be a family device, but my wife has pretty much claimed it as hers. I sync’d it to iTunes and loaded a few free apps and handed it to her. She configured her own email (never could do that on a computer) and is now happily shopping on the web, emailing and playing scrabble with her daughter on the east coast. She is using it for bedtime reading and says that it is no heavier than a trade paperback and does not require a night light.

She says she may use it as a DayTimer replacement, but is not sure yet.

We own a Win 7 desktop for my remote programming for work and a MacBook for travel & casual use. No iPhones, but a Droid.

In the few hours I have used it, I find the NetFlix and ABC apps to be great for video, even at Starbucks. Flash, not an issue (have Flash blockers on the other computers) - wouldn’t like the battery hit from Flash if it did work. The SkyHook ‘fake GPS’ that uses WiFi is pretty good, but not for turn by turn - it does show you where you are on the map with a few tens of meters. Web browsing is great - some of the newspaper and magazine apps show great potential - I hope that convergence really happens.

One of the subtle issues that sneaks up on you is that the device is a chameleon - it ‘becomes’ the app that you are running. No distractions from menus, task bars, overlapping windows, scrollbars etc. In my mind, it is less a full computer for creating and more an accessory that is the consumate device for consuming digital media - I think of it as a really, really smart display screen - with amazing speed.

I have not played with a PDF viewer yet, I’m sure a good one will show up sooner or later. One thing is to note is that files are owned by the app that created/opens them - so there are no files or folders, a nice simplification in my mind - also explains why USB was left out. Other than syncing a camera, there are no USB devices it can use. Along with that is freedom from the pain and instability of device drivers - which I am more than willing to leave to my computers.

I don’t expect the price to change much, certainly not like the iPhone. I do expect future models to offer more features/speed/memory at the same price points - that seems to be the ‘Apple way’. Making 3G standard might be one way for drop in price.

Switching apps is fast and most remember their state, so multitasking is not a big issue (but listening to Pandora while browsing would be nice). Perhaps OS 4.0 will loosen that restriction a bit. IMHO, a lot of the ‘it is just a big iPhone/Touch’ criticisms are invalid. One of the funniest comments I read was ‘well, a swimming pool is just like a big bathtub - but no one complains that the swimming pool is too limited’.

Goodreader is what you want. 99 cents in the app store.

Should have clarified: I know youtube doesn’t use flash, the mention of youtube made me remember the no-flash issues.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Good to know about the Skyhook app and overall effectiveness as a GPS unit. In all honesty, the turn-by-turn feature of our true GPS unit got frustrating at times because it wouldn’t tell you the next couple of steps. Very irritating when navigating complicated highway interchanges. In honesty, I’d rather just have Google Maps where I can get an overview of the steps beforehand and then quick reference during travel. And now I can!

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it tonight on my iTouch before springing for the iPad.

I’m running Airshare HD - it’s pricey, at $10, but it works very well, and it lets you copy lots of files over wifi.

I played with one yesterday, and like most Apple products, really like the interface - enough to overlook the limitations.

I want to use this as the ultimate Home Theater remote - like a Crestron. I’ll need a box with an Ethernet port on one end, a pair of RS-232 ports and a whole bunch of individually addressable IR flasher ports.

I want to use this as a remote interface for a digital audio mixer, controlling a Yamaha or Mackie board or a ProTools system. I figure I can put eight really nice channel strips on it with full size faders and have enough space for monitor mix and a really nice EQ and FX section. I’ll be able to put the whole “Front of House” back on the stage, and mix from anywhere in the house occupying only one seat.

There are already YouTube videos of alleged Jailbreaks of the iPad, so that will result in some really cool apps.

I’m wondering about this as well, but why not just an IR blaster? My equipment rack is behind me and I find I can point my Harmony (cheap one) at the projection screen or ceiling and it works fine.

That make me wonder about the current iPhone/Touch solutions that come with an IR module. Another possibility is a wifi solution. I think both are on the market now, but probably not updated for the iPad yet.

Perhaps even Crestron will come up with a consumer version.

Does yours blend as well as this one?

Blasters can work OK, but they suck if you:
[ul]
[li]Have more than one device that uses the same code (like two Tivos).[/li][li]Have a device with an RS-232 interface that can return actual state information.[/li][/ul]

An entry-level Crestron system with a monochrome screen is several thousand dollars. The sooner they go out of business, the better.

So, almost a week later, would you buy it again?

I’m seriously thinking about buying one, after playing with it in the store… it’s…

beautiful.

I may have to buy it again, my wife has taken it over…

I don’t have an iPad, and I’m not certain I have a legitimate need for one. My iPhone does everything I need when I’m out of the house, and when I’m home, I’ve got three computers and a laptop. I’ve also got a Nook for my eReader needs.

However, I can’t help but think that an iPad would make an excellent car GPS/stereo system if you were to mount it in the dash- and it would be cheaper than most units, as well. The only worry would be if someone were to steal it.