Ask the Former Restroom-Sex Afficionado (in light of the Sen. Craig scandal)

Thanks, tom. I wasn’t sure where it was supposed to go.

Here’s a recreation of what happened in the Craig case, based on the officer’s report.

Nice!

Now, how on earth can that be illegal?

Looks about right, to me. A little exaggerated, obviously, but otherwise standard procedure.

Thanks for the earlier answers in the Craig thread. Without getting graphic, because that isn’t necessary, how do the two participants… err… ‘call the play’ – agree to an act they’re both interested in. What if they have wildly different ideas?

If a neighborhood has had a rash of car vandalism (spraypaint, for example), and the police arrest a gang of kids who were carrying around cans of spraypaint of the same color that had been used before at night in this neighborhood, you can see the reason for the arrests even though they didn’t actually do anything that the officer saw, right?

It’s the same thing here. The airport had been getting complaints about public sex in the restrooms for a while before this. Craig exhibited classic signs of angling for some public sex in the restroom. Again, I’m not a lawyer and I can’t give a professional opinion, but I do think the officer had cause.

:dubious:

Restroom sex is generally not terribly creative. You could be interrupted at any second and you have to be able to jump out of it quickly. Blow jobs and hand jobs are the most common things. I’ve been the “top” for anal sex in a restroom before, but it was a coin-op room (not coin-op stalls), so we would have had a good five or more seconds after the coin dropped to separate and scatter into the stalls before anyone could have come in.

Mostly, though, it’s feel-up, jack-off, or blow job. Depending on the timidity of one or both participants, it could just be “look don’t touch”.

What are the “obvious” signs of a cruising toilet? I suppose a glory hole might be one, but what else? Are they something a straight guy would recognize, or completely overlook?

I’ve got to ask: In this day and age AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases are certainly not passe, they are very much alive and well. Did you just think you would not get them? Or did you somehow think everything would be ok?

In the case or oral or manual sex, how is it determined which of the participants will be in which role (the jacked off or the jacker off, for instance)? Does the manner of approach have anything to do with it? Do the actions of Sen. Craig provide any suggestion of the act he was likely soliciting?

What are the mechanics of the actual hook-up? I presume it would usually be within a stall, but how does that work?

Minerva?

A restroom that doesn’t seem to be visited by maintenance too often. A little run-down. A little dirty. Glory-holes, obviously, but also some form of early warning…a coin-op door, a dog-leg corridor between the door and the main restroom, etc. You get a feel for this kind of thing after a while.

I’m curious what, if any, precautions people take to avoid disease. Is it mostly confined to oral sex, which I guess is less risky than anal, or do people use condoms?

Personally, I can’t imagine sharing my intimate bits with some stranger who may or may not be totally skeevy. (Then again, my sexual interests have never been subject to heavy taboos that disallow open relationships.)

I see I’m too slow a typer. Of course :smack: handjobs would be the obvious answer. Still interested in whether people ever use condoms, though.

This is the second time you’ve mentioned this so I’ll ask. What are the signs of an obvious cruising toilet? Everyone’s tapping their toes?

I was way too slow - should have refreshed before posting.

Thanks!

I do look back and kind of thank whatever’s out there that my stupidity didn’t catch up with me. It wasn’t that I thought I was invincible. It was just that I didn’t think at all.

It was often under the stall, actually. One of us would kneel down and put our equipment under the stall wall, if there wasn’t an actual glory-hole. One of the reasons I stopped doing this was because I’d gotten too fat to manage the agility required. As to who did what, that really isn’t quite as big a matter as some people seem to think. Outside of anal sex, there’s not a lot of pickiness among gay men (out or not) as to who get blown and who blows, or who gets jacked and who jacks. And anal sex is rare in these cases, so…the guy I topped the one time actually came to me with the condoms, so he was offering to bottom.

I have some commentary on the legal issues, and in fact have defended several public lewdness/disorderly conduct/solicitation type cases arising from conduct in restrooms. I don’t wish to hijack this thread with that discussion unless there’s general consensus to the contrary, though, since the focus here seems to be more a how-does-the-whole-thing-work…

Post #33. :slight_smile:

Could you post it in the Pit thread, then? I don’t see the need to open yet another thread on this subject.

I wonder if these are illegal bathroom cruising signals