Battlestar Galactica 3.3: "Exodus, Part One" (spoilers)

On reflection, the fact that this is so clearly a bridge, part of an ongoing story without much resolution, is itself a good thing, I think. I firmly believe (as I’ve said before) that the reason the run of episodes from “Epiphanies” to “Captain’s Hand” is generally inconsistent and somewhat unsatisfying is that they were trying to make them largely standalone, to keep the show accessible to new viewers who might be checking it out because of the buzz and trying to keep the difficult-to-explain ongoing material to a minimum. (“Black Market” is obviously the worst of the bunch, cramming the plot and the entire emotional backstory into one frustrating hour.) After all of season one and the first half of season two, it’s clear the show doesn’t work very well in that mode. So seeing that this episode simply juggles a number of balls for its duration suggests they learned from that experience and that they’re back to stretching the story, letting the characters breathe while the plot unfolds more deliberately, which is how this show works best.

Of course, like I said before, the juggling does have to pay off eventually. If we see the threads being woven here turn into good stuff later, then this episode will improve in that context. If those threads get lost, then this was a waste of an hour. The point is, the fact that we’re anticipating payoff later, and that the show appears to be aggressively returning to its longform storytelling style, should be at least tentatively viewed as a positive development.

P.S. I’ll agree that the payoff of the Mommybuck thread needs to involve, in some fashion, the child not being around any more. However it happens, rugrat needs to evaporate.

Agreed. Adama is not Janeway and he doesn’t give a flying frak about exploration that doesn’t invole finding vital natural resources or clues to Earth.

Right, as far as Adama knows Hera is dead. I wonder if Sharon get Hera/Isis/13 back after liberation. And why do the Cylons insist on holding council meetings in Baltar’s presence? It’s clear all they expect him to do is sit there quietly and sign whatever they shove in front of him. It’s impressive that the Resistance was able to organize 500 block captains and hold 2 dress rehearsals for the exodus. Does the average person know what’s going on? Do the Cylons? The Cylons appear to be having trouble reincarnating (eg Cavil’s headaches). This explains why they’re even bothering to give medical treatment to their wounded.

Agreed, there was something deeply …wrong… about the way StarBrat stared at MommyBuck, kid needs to be introduced to “Mr. Airlock” ASAP

I frakkin’ HATE it, the “god” thing was only good when Balty was shooting holes in it with “Everyone’s Favorite Robotology Evangelist” Miss Caprica “GSP” Six/Godfrey/Gina as his foil

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter :wink:

Followed very closely by “Epiphanies” “Magical Pop-Tart Blood” plotline…

President Rosylin already solved that one for us…
“Kasey, i’d like to introduce you to a good freind of mine, say hello to Mister Airlock!”,the “Kasey as a blunt object” (a…BAT, perhaps? :wink: ) holds merit as well

Agreed, the religious crap needs to go out the airlock as well, and I already posted up in post #30 who Number One will be, I’m TELLING you it WILL be Johnathan Frakes, remember, the writers are TNG alumnus, what better way to create another inside joke AND introduce another tired, worn-out “Guest Star”

Besides, New Caprica has coffee anyway… :wink:

You’re the guy who snuck raisins into Janeway’s coffee and asked her if the ship had a problem with rats!

Now that you all are talking about it, the Cally rescue is starting to bug me more too. I just let it go as a mistake. Let’s move on. But since y’all are pinging on it… There’s just no way Tyrol could have seen things the way he need, and it’s even more obvious as he was thinking out loud the whole time. “There’s Cally. What’s she… she’s making a break for it!” That’s impossible as we saw Jammer pull her aside, cut her free and shove her down a hill. Tyrol would have to have seen the same thing we did.

BTW, Cally & Jammer were buddies way back when, on Galactica. She had to have recognized his voice when he told her to run and I’ll be disappointed if he remains anonymous.

I’m a little confused about the Threes. The one on Galactica is D’Anna. There was the 3 whose head Six bashed in back on Caprica. Last episode I’m certain I heard one of them referred to as D’Anna. When Duck blew himself up, he said to that Three, “see you soon Nora.” So which Three is having these prescient dreams? D’Anna, Nora, or a no-name Three? I think it’s Bashed-Head Three. That’s the one Six told, “if you’d ever experienced love, you wouldn’t need to ask.” Or some such. It’s sets her up to be the next Cylon who’s going to experience love by holding Hera. Does that one have a name?

Speaking of Hera, I noticed the actor who plays Maya also plays Joe on Eureka. The guy who busted Ellen is the guy who plays the current leader of the Genai on Stargate Atlantis.

Unauthorized Cinnamon, I can handle “you got Fantasy in my Scifi, you got Scifi in my Fantasy” but isn’t that really a sub-genre and hasn’t Ron Moore billed this as a fairly hard-core Scifi piece? Sometimes you get a Very Special Christmas episode. Some unexplainable miracle happens and at the end, the characters all look up into the night sky, see a falling star, and sigh. I can handle that as long as I’ve got a couple stiff eggnogs in me.

But the prescient dreams and things like sticking an arrow in Athena’s tomb and ending up in a magical room and a Raptor miscalculating its FTL jump and just happening to miraculously end up in orbit around the future New Caprica occur a bit too frequently. I’ve been trained by television lately to always look for secret clues. I’ve fan wanked this show so hard I’ve given myself a hernia.

Something that has occurred to me recently is as a storyteller, Ron Moore is actually a pretty WYSIWYG kind of guy. There usually isn’t a super-technological explanation for things we need to figure out. Psychic dreams really are. Magic really is. Miracles are simply that. It’s a little disappointing. For me, it takes the show firmly out of my universe. They will never find my Earth, be it ancient Earth, or present-day Earth, or a theoretical future Earth. Because on my Earth there is no magic.

But, it’s still a great show. It’s still an engaging story.

Nora wasn’t a #3; she was Duck’s wife. She died during a Cylon raid on the temple in one of the webisodes. He meant he was going to see his wife soon (in the Elysian Fields perhaps?). I think the religious aspects fit with the story line, the Cylons are religious fanatics and the Colonial lost over 20 billion people. Most Colonials would either; become deeply religious because it’s one of the few things left, or embrace atheism/apostacy since the Gods did noting to prevent the destruction of the 12 Colonies. Of course if RDM ever decides to have us meet a Lord of Kobol or the Cylon God he better set up a rock hard scifi explanation for their existence. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the gods turned out to be AIs (something like Orion’s Arm)?

What was the deal with the little conversation between Helo and Dualla? He told her to take care of “our son”? I tried to switch to closed captioning to confirm what I heard, but it was garbled. Maybe he was referring to Apollo, but it was weird.

Ah, that makes much more sense now.

That’s what I heard at first too, but realized he said “take care of his son,” meaning take care of Adama’s son, Apollo.

Is there any reason, now that the Cylons walk among man, to keep the identity of the unknown (to the audience) Cylons off the street?

Obviously the creators don’t want the viewer to know who they are for the sake of mystery, but is there a reason that they are not part of whatever is going on at New Caprica?

You could say they are being held back as sleeper agents, but who know about Lucy Lawless?

Seems a bit odd.

Anders and company. There were #3s walking around on Caprica.

They could be all over Geminid for all we know. Maybe 4 models are out exploring the Universe looking for sentient blenders. The Mongols could invade Europe, or vice-versa, and neither would ever see a black woman. It’s a big universe, dude.

Plus the mystery, of course. :smiley:

I’m having a hard time comprehending your question, but it is interesting that there are purportedly twelve Cylon models, yet so far we’ve only seen 3 (a.k.a. Dianna Biers), 5 (a.k.a. Aaron Doral), 6 (a.k.a. Shelley Godfrey, Gina, and “Caprica”) , 8 (a.k.a. Sharon Valerii), Leoben Conoys, Simons, and Brothers Cavill (specific model designations unrevealed, so far as I know). Even if you include the bulletheads as one of the Twelve (and I don’t think they’re supposed to be), there’s four more to go, and more likely five, barring the chrome toasters. Certainly there could be other sleepers as a result, and there easily could be good reasons for the Cylons to keep them secret, even from the sleepers themselves.

That said, I don’t think there are any sleepers to be found among the Colonists. For one thing, the identity of insurgents wouldn’t require torture, sexual favors, knowing human betrayals, etc. to obtain if Cylon moles could be utilized.

One very, very remote possibility I’d heartily approve of: The prognosticating Priestess is a Cylon sent to spy on the other Cylons, maybe by their Supreme Commander, whoever/whatever it may be. The Cylons are obviously connected mentally. They’re not part of some hive intelligence like the Borg, but they certainly can jack in somehow to a “data stream”, and the content of at least some of their thought can demonstrably become part of the Cylons’ collective body of knowledge. Who’s watching the watchers? Maybe Queen Bee Cylon is jacked in all the time? Maybe the Big Cylon Cheez or Cheezes knows their dreams, knows their fears, tests them occasionally to ascertain loyalty and reliability, but subtly so as not to alert and alarm the collective? Gets interesting if Roslyn is a Cylon, or has a Cylon meat chip in her head.

Nah, probably not.

I don’t mind a little religious mysteriousness as added flavor to the show, especially if it gives me a chance to see Amanda Plummer acting all stoned and creepy.

I would prefer that it not become the central theme, however, and I’d like to see it left unresolved. Is there really a Cylon god? Are people having Visions or just dreams? Who knows?

I don’t like the idea of Mommy-buck, but I would hate to see that plotline wrapped up with a too-convenient death for the tyke. I’d like to find out where Moore is going with this.

Also, don’t be too hard on Starbuck if she really is falling for the whole Mommy thing. She’s been locked up for four months with a psycho who won’t even stay dead when she kills him. If that’s not reason for a little Stockholm syndrome, I don’t know what is.

Am I the only one surprised by how quickly they appear to be getting off New Caprica? I thought most of the season would be spent setting up the Big Escape, but looks like we’ll get it in Episode 4.

Once they’re back in space, will everything be back the way it was? Will Tigh be XO and Starbuck the best pilot in the fleet and Roslyn the president? Will Pegasus be destroyed so that Galactica has to go it alone?

I hope Moore doesn’t just hit the Star Trek reset button and put everything back in place.

Bah. Responding to middle.

I just don’t see Bucklet as the trigger. Rather, since moments before she was trying to come up with a new and better way to inflict maximum pain on Leoben, I should think she’d be outraged, feel horrifically violated, completely repulsed, etc. by the theft of her ovary and the use of her eggs to make a Cylon hybrid (though I don’t think that’s what it is). Instead, kid fall down, Starbuck go, “Ooooo, pooooah widdle bayybeee! Hold me!” Bullshit.

No, you most certainly are not. How many Basestars are there orbiting New Caprica? Two? Four? And more could jump in, as Apollo rightly pointed out? And each one of them is like two miles across or something? How it is that the Cylons are feeling a Gulf-War-II-style strain in resources keeping some 50,000 humans from getting uppity, with these staggeringly huge ships overhead chock full of awesome weaponry, is really quite beyond me. And what a single Battlestar, or even a pair of them, is really supposed to do about it is also rather difficult to fathom. Sure, if they jump in, grab as many as they can, and jump the Hell out, I could see them scooping up a few thousand. The rest oughtta be lunch meat, though. Disaster plans, my ass. This is a massive evacuation in the thick of combat with a vastly superior enemy force we’re talking about, or should be if there’s any attempt being made by the writers to stick the the frakking scenerio they created.

The whole rescue at the beginning continues to bug the frak out of me. Let’s just set aside the camera angles for the moment. What, two snipers with light arms are supposed to have dispatched all the Centurions and skinjobs in that amount of time, being maybe a five-second salvo following the Chief’s diving save? Did I miss something when the same sorts of Centurions pinned down Anders & Co. and needed a couple RPGs to take them out? Some of them are made of something perhaps of the tensile strength of cardboard, whilst the others are just short of the models that require head-shots with explosive rounds to dispatch?(Curious those upgraded models haven’t made a reappearance, dontcha think? Would come in real handy, what with an insurgency and all, no?)

Imperious Leader! :slight_smile:

The whole dliffhanger from last week was really sloppy writing. Actually, the whole thing about it was sloppy and confusing. Parallel story lines with the rendezvous point shot out and the execution site shoot out, inter cuut to create tension (because dramatically, there was no such thing).
And why is the settlement on NC in a barren site, when there are clearly woods, streams and lush valleys? And did they really map this new planet and give names to all the spots?
This makes me less forgiving about U.S, Army surplus trucks.

That’s what I said to my husband last night. How the frak are the Cylons having so much trouble with humans when presumably they have all the resources and the manufacturaing power to reproduce themselves (at least in toaster variety.) And what’s to keep them from making more copies of the human-shaped varieties? I don’t get it, and it’s bugging me.

I just watched the scene again. He definitely said “our son”. Closed captioning is showing “ouron”, so it’s not helping my argument a whole lot. But the whole scene just felt odd to me.

Five.

I’m rather curious how they’re going to make this work myself. Granted basestars appear to be more fragile than battlestars when it comes to slugging matches, but given the events portrayed in Lee Adama’s first command ( the Pegasus ambush ), it’s obvious that the more powerful Pegasus couldn’t take three, let along Galactica taking five. I could see maybe a diversionary tactic if both Pegasus and Galactica were involved, but the Cylons would have to be profoundly stupid to fall for that with such a superior force. Galactica by itself? Hmpf. We’ll see.

The obvious thing I imagine the writers going for would be for Galactica to try and divert the basestars while the colonial ships all take off at once and jump as soon as they get altitude. I’d grudgingly accept that, I guess - but only if they make it nasty. No way that tactic should work without significant losses to those unarmored ships. Again at five to one, the Cylons can afford to leave a couple of basestars in close orbit, from which they can pitch missles down the gravity well.

• Tamerlane