Best of the Rest of the Top 40: 1979

Young man, there’s a song you can vote for…

“YMCA” is a fun song. There are Supertramp songs I like, but “The Logical Song” hasn’t worn well. “When I was young, I thought that I would be an animal, or a vegetable, or a mineral…” OK, I didn’t like it that much in the first place. Ditto “I ___ you to ____ me (fill in the blanks with assorted words).”

I have a soft spot for Lady by the LRB… its just a great song imo… well done… but… and the goofy Dr Hook…(remember them on Wolfman Jack) this was a great song… classic rock radio has sadly killed Cheap Trick and Supertramp!!

Earth…Wind… and Fire…this was their best imo… (Reasons being real close) Maurice sings it with the regret and restraint that is sorely missing today …just an exeptional song…makes me sit in the car for 4 minutes longer even today… that solo…

I had to go with YMCA, though I’ll admit it’s the campiness factor and that it ticked off right wing Christians. I liked “The Logical Song” when I was 15 but now it just sounds whiny. I mean, they sent him to a strict British boarding school and his life is ruined? Even Roger Waters got over that.