Buffet etiquette question: new plate every trip?

I’m strongly inclined to agree with this.

In our own home, and in just about every residence I’ve ever eaten in, communal food items are handled in ways that blatantly violate commercial health codes in several ways. Nobody gets a new plate when they grab a second helping of pasta salad; when we have more guests than our table can handle, there are no sneeze guards over on the kitchen counter where the food dishes are lined up; we even have children touching stuff.

I have to agree with Lynn - unsupervised kids are pretty bad at buffets. The worst thing I’ve ever seen, though, was a few weeks ago when I went to a local Indian buffet and the woman in front of me, while gabbing with her friend, grabbed some food off the buffet with her hand, sniffed it and put it back. It was really disgusting.

Oh, and with respect to the OP - yes, use another plate. Whether it’s a hygiene issue or not, it’s good form. You can use the same plate at home.

Ah, “hygiene theatre”.

More uses for my speculum!

You shuld never feel guilty for not exposing others to your bodily fluids:D
Use a new plate each time.

That is gross too.

Touching the handle of a spoon someone else has touched is gross to you? :confused: Do you keep your hands in your pockets 24 hours a day and never touch *anything *or what?

That’s not cleanliness, that’s paranoia.

UMMMMM. Do you know how many people touch serving spoons at a buffet? I’m sure some of they may have picked their noses or used the washroom without washing their hands.
I don’t call that paranoia.
Yeah that’s right I wear gloves all day:rolleyes:

I dunno, I’ve always used the spoon and tong handles at buffets and I haven’t been overly sick yet. I, too, would call it mild paranoia.

But not to get into a hijack about that, to the OP, I always get a new plate. I think some places actually have signs up saying you should get a new one each time.

OMG OMG! You know how many people touch doors ever day! Or phones?! Or supermarket wagons? Or railings on stairs? Or elevator buttons? Oh my God I can’t touch anything because they all have germmmmmmms!

I always assumed it was to keep “responsible” people from putting back the food they didn’t eat.