Can you hear this sound? A poll/test.

1. high frequency slightly modulating and a bit irritating.
  2. 42

I will often walk into a store and hear a similar kind of noise. I don’t know if it’s got to do with their security devices or change in air pressure due to the climate control system… It’s something and it takes a minute or two for my ears to adjust.

1. Ack! That’s the “someone left the TV on mute” noise. Drives me insane.

2. 25

Obviously this thing is annoying to more than just teenagers. Is it really supposed to be inaudible to older people? Or are they assuming that people who aren’t loitering will be willing to tolerate the irritation long enough to stop by and spend money?

1. I can hear it: a very high pitched pulse about twice a second.

It’s a terrible sound. Terrible. It gives me that fingernails on a blackboard squickyness.

32 and I hear it.

BUT, that’s with specifically listening for something. If I hadn’t been listening for it and I was in a public place, I think I’d notice something but not specifically identify what it was that was obnoxious.

Whoah. The first time I loaded it up I couldn’t figure out what you were talking about, and then I turned the volume up playing with something else and loaded it up again and put my headphones back on. Squueeeee! That would work for me. Makes me shiver. I have to turn it up a bit to hear it, though. 33 YO.

I could sort of hear the noise (can’t tell for certain if it was that or the sound of my PC), but I noticed that after repeated listenings my ears began to hurt.

Just tried it on my 63 y-o in-laws, neither of whom could hear it.

22, no headphones - just a single speaker on top of my monitor.

OUCH! That shit is painful. It’s the kind of noise that gets in both ears, and settles somewhere at the base of your skull. Any shops that started implementing those sorts of measures would quickly lose my business, and I would do my best to encourage friends and family not to shop there either.

Not me, age 51. Oh great, another cosmic hint that I’m getting older.

Yes, I can hear it. It’s like an icepick repeatedly hacking at my skull.

I’m 17.

I really hope this never gets implemented here.

1. There’s a low grumble, some clicking, people laughing, and a very high-pitched tone that pulses in and out. Very annoying, much like florescent lights.

2. 23

other than people noises, laughter, and two ‘clanks’, nothing unusual

47++

FTR - I know I have some hearing loss in both ears - moreso in my left

It sounds like what it would sound like if there was a nail scratching my eardrum, at the same rate as a heartbeat, through the entire audio clip. If I heard that outside a store, I’d find another place to shop.

I didn’t even hear the people talking, just the high-pitched noise. But I can hear when the TV’s on but not tuned to anything, so I was expecting it. I’m 26.

Annoying, high pitched noise that cycles in and out. It’s irritating, and it’s still bugging me now, even though I turned it off.

22, but I have a head cold, so one ear is stuffed up.

I’m not sure, actually. The high pitched whine sounded a bit like a TV that’s on (like ultrafilter said). I was definitely able to hear it when younger.

However, another interesting effect is that it made me a little light-headed. I played it a few times, and it happened each time. I’ve no idea if it’s related.

I’m 37.

Exactly! Or something electronic turning on and off quickly. Its really irritating.

1. yup

2. 27- musically trained (music school, lots of ear training, etc., not just your average lessons). I wonder if that makes a difference?

1. Yes
  2. 33

I think the theory that adults cannot hear the sound is unsound. Perhaps it would be better to say that “some” adults cannot hear it?

27 and I hear it.
I have very good hearing in the upper frequencies, so this noise, while annoying, doesn’t seem all that high-pitched to me.