Can you still put your pants on standing up?

Standing up is the only method I know.

I have always put my pants and socks on standing up. I never thought about doing it differently. Gives me something to work towards as I contemplate retirement (I am 66).

Huh. I have never put my socks on standing up. I can almost imagine how that would happen, but it seems quite difficult. On the other hand, pants are easy. We learn so much here about the way people do things that are seldom discussed in real life.

I noticed i was getting wobbly, and started putting on my socks while standing up. At first, i needed to lean against the bureau, and could only do loose socks. Now i can stand on one leg and pull on any of my socks. I can’t quite tie my shoes. (No, i can’t reach without bending the knees.) It’s the one exercise i do pretty regularly, and i think it’s really improved my balance.

I started getting wobbly putting on pants a few years ago in my late 50s. I bought one of these and it fixed me right up.

I’m trying to brush my teeth standing on one leg (that’s from a different thread).

Even when I was athletic and in my 30’s I could not skate board. Or even stand on one.

Yes, but not both legs at the same time.

Standing, but usually with one hand on the corner of a dresser or sink.

Does that count?

mmm

And don’t get me started on underpants. That can turn into a regular ballet standing up.

I’ve never not put them on while standing. :thinking: It seems like trying to do so while sitting would be so awkward. Socks are usually also while standing.

I do it every day.

Yes, if i can lean my hip on something. Otherwise, sitting.

I can, but whether or not I actually do depends on how exhausting getting out of bed and/or my shower was.

The first part involves being seated and drawing each leg into its corresponding pant leg, all the way through to the end, and letting the trousers bunch up around your feet, which are on the floor. The second part is like getting up after using the toilet – you stand up and pull up your trousers by the waist, and finish putting them on.

That’s how I picture it, anyway. I still put my trousers on while standing up. For taking off sweat pants or other casual pants with elastic around the ankles, though, I have to lean against something and pull them off from the bottom. Otherwise I can take them off by standing on one leg and shaking the other leg until my leg is clear, then repeating on the other side. If I’m not wearing socks, that process is easier, sometimes no shaking is required.

I most often sit on the edge of the bed and put my pants on both legs at the same time, standing up to buckle the belt. Which is why the “puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else” thingie always amused me.

Yes I enjoy reading about the ways we do things differently.

It’s fascinating!

Is this some sort of weeding out process? Is this how you discover which one of us is the chosen one?

Sure, as long as it’s one leg at a time.

Same here. I can put my right leg in without holding on; left leg, though, I rest a hand on a surface. It’s less maneuverable since the other leg is already in the pants.

Weirdly, I find it easier to do standing up than if I’m sitting down.

I can NOT get up from the floor without using something, however, like @Briny_Deep .

Socks… nope. I sit down, and bring the foot up onto the other knee, and add the sock (and shoe). Then repeat with the other one.

In the age of easy delivery of nearly any good, work from home, and online socializing, I ask:

Why bother put on pants at all?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(oh come on, someone was going to say it eventually, now it’s out of our system)