Children's music that doesn't suck.

I’d hardly put the Wiggles in the same class with Barney; Jeff and Anthony were members of Australian band The Cockroaches before going back to college and getting degrees in early childhood education, as were Anthony’s brothers Paul and John, who are both involved in the musical aspects of the Wiggles to varying degrees; Murray is an occasional member of one of my favorite Australian bands, Mental as Anything, and Greg does sing quite well, even if his choice of solo material is somewhat suspect. I for one find them quite listenable musically – and as a grown-up, the lyrics aren’t written for me.

On the other hand, an artist who’s been a huge hit with my kids over the years and whose material seems to appeal to both kids and adults has been mentioned already: Tom Chapin. Chapin’s a wonderful guitarist and banjo (and digeridoo) player, singer, songwriter, etc., but a lot of the credit for his kids’ albums has to go to John Forster, who wrote or co-wrote many of the best and funniest songs and produced many of the albums.

Given what I listen to, my kids also have some slightly anomalous favorites as well. “Do You Love Me?” by the Contours, “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg”, by the Temptations, and James Brown’s “I Feel Good (I Got You)” are hot with them right now. My five-year-old daughter is quite fond of Don Dixon’s “Girls L.T.D.” (aka “Most of the Girls Like to Dance But Only Some of the Boys Do”).

We like Reggae For Kids. My three-year-old loves to dance and sing to Yelloman’s version of This Old Man.

I will third They Might Be Giants, especially the album No which was written for kids (and adults) and is fantastic.

Don’t go dissing the Wiggles or you’ll have to answer to me. My girls just went to see them in concert and had a wonderful time. As an adult I find them very listenable. My five year old is getting a little old for them (but still wants to go see them next year). My three year old still loves them.

Hey!
I like the Wiggles.

That said, and to show you what a tool I am, I like the Shrek soundtrack.

Yes, because songs about being polite and the joys of reading are NOT what you want your two year-old listening to. :rolleyes:

However, in my experience, it doesn’t really matter… nobody listens to the lyrics in pop/rock songs until they’re about 16 or so, so play what you want.

For example, Sophie just loves the music from the Buffy musical… she’ll even sing parts.

“I just wanna be… a-wiiiiiiive.”

So adorable. :love:

We all (myself, my wife, my 8-girl and my 4-girl) like this guy: Tom Chapin . Clever lyrics, catchy tunes, etc. We all (except for the 4-girl) dislike the wiggles and Barney is on our fatwa list (you better hide, Barney! ) :wink:

I actually really like For the Kids. There’s a second edition out now, but it’s children’s songs as done by popular artists like Cake, Barenaked Ladies, Jason Mraz, Sarah McLachlan, etc.

You say that because obviously YOUR three-year-old kid didn’t belt out the following in the grocery store:

“Sodomeeeeeeeeee, fawashioooooooh, cunniwingus, pedawasteeeee…”

:eek:

I used to listen to Pete Seeger and the Kingston Trio when I was a little kid (yeah, I know, shows how old I am.)

We got my nephew a CD with some cajun tunes and another one with cowboy songs. As far as letting kids listen to the Ramones goes, I actually considered getting him a tape of their songs but I thought “Beat the Brat” would frighten him. (Plus there could be trouble with the CPS if he walked into his preschool singing “Now I wanna sniff some glue.”)

Wow, great recommendations, people! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi, norinew! I’m kind of tossed on Veggie Tales. It’s most definitely aimed at children, like Raffi, and doesn’t really hold a lot of appeal for me. There’s probably quite a few songs I would skip simply because the voices are like nails on a chalkboard. A Veggie Tales CD would likely be relegated to her room. Not for car listening.

Laurie Berkner on Noggin: those songs get stuck in your head something fierce! I didn’t think her CDs really lived up to the songs chosen for the videos, but I think we would both enjoy them. She’s got a nice voice and very creative songwriting.

don’t ask, you’re right! I can’t find any Franciscus Henry.

Caprese, I can’t understand it, but little one does not like Puff the Magic Dragon (on the Starbucks compilation) one bit. Even Mr. Cinnamon prefers to skip this song in the car. And why-oh-why does everyone feel the need to say, “Heh, heh. They’re talkin’ about pot,” when it comes on? It’s really a neat song. Or maybe I just smoked too much back in the day. :o

My mom and I played lots of oldies for my son when he was little. He’s 14 now, but if you can get him to sing Love Potion #9, he still knows all the words. And he’ll sing Don McLean’s American Pie with a great deal of feeling. His lullaby tape was a James Taylor double album (Sweet Baby James / Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon). It became tradition for me to sing Sweet Baby James at bedtime. Sadly, I couldn’t get him hooked on Neil Young. :frowning:

I like the fact that you included funk in your child’s musical exposure. It really helps to pick the right stuff though. Daughter becomes apoplectic when I play my funk mix in the car and Shit. Goddamn. Get off yer ass and jam! comes around. Don’t roll yer eyes at me. She is very proper, despite my wayward parenting, and frowns on this type of language. So much for trying to teach her that words only have power if you give them power. Perhaps I should try some other Parliament/Clinton/P-funk tunes. The upside is she liked Sly & the Family Stone from my Woodstock DVD. Well, actually, most of the DVD was a big hit with her.

Mr.Cinnamon (TMBG fan) sings The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas and Meet James Ensore to the great amusement of our little person and me. I really must relocate that CD to my car. Those guys are hilarious! If you like TMBG, you’re only a step away from Trout Fishing in America. “Well, there’s I…II…III…wheels on a big rig!”

Sheesh, they get plenty of that in school / at church / at home, don’t they? All I’m saying is music is supposed to be entertaining, not a lecture on being a good person. There’s such a variety of music out there that kids who are forced to listen to music just for kids are missing out on a lot. Expand their horizons for goodness sake. Play them something you enjoy and you get yet another opportunity to bond. Gee, you might even find them singing something a little more meaty than “One, two, buckle my shoe.” :rolleyes:

:smiley:

OMG, that’s funny!

I feel your pain. :frowning:

Yeah, my apologies for sounding a little beyatchy there.

The Silly Songs DVD (I assume there is a CD) was catchier than we imagined (and we’re all atheists at my house.) My daughter’s boyfriend came to poo-poo it, and got hooked also. “Ceboooooo, Cebooo.” Lots of clever and funny stuff on that one. However the songs on the Viking DVD - not so much.

Raffi in Concert with the Rise & Shine Band is still my all time favorite children’s CD.

Time to Sing, Rise and Shine, Baby Beluga, The More We Get Together, and on and on.

Great stuff!

My children are now 21, 18, and 15. Raffi’s is one of their musical cornerstones. Just a few nights ago my daughter came into my room with a Raffi songbook, and went through it, singing the first few lines from every song in it she knew. My 21 year old son will sometimes break into Baby Beluga.

We have a New Year’s Day tradition in our family, which is to sit at the kitchen table and sing I’ve Been Workin’ on the Railroad * before breakfast. Without Raffi’s inspiration from records such as More Singable Songs*, this silly and treasured tradition would never have come to be.

My kid’s favorite is Beethoven’s Wig. The first set of songs are popular classicals with very creative lyrics, then the music repeats without lyrics. My kids like both equally well.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000060OLA/103-9264351-9465465?v=glance

it’s full of goo, it’s such a problem to shampoo
your mother called, she said you would look better bald…

da da da dum…

Today I saw parts of the Baby Bach video (they have Baby Mozart too) - music was awesome, plus the video - very trippy. Puppet chicken talking to puppet sunflower, black and white mechanical kitty zooming on and off the screen, close-ups of plastic fish from those fake aquariums, toy giraffe wiggling around, and shimmery wind chimes swinging in the breeze from up close. If I hadn’t been on the job, I wouldv’e sat right down with the baby and been fascinated as hell.

I’ll third the recommendation for Laurie Berkner. My almost 5-yearold has been obsessed with her (he plans to marry her) for months and unlike the Wiggles, I’m not screaming inside when I hear the music. I actually like most of her songs and find myself humming them around the house. I hope she starts touring more.

Baby Mozart is also very unthreatening. I dislike most of the other Baby Einstein stuff; they should have stopped after the first. The triplets like Baby Mozart and ignore the other ones.

Karen