Colonoscopy in a week

BTW, I got mine three weeks ago. Totally no sweat.

The prep, in my case:
[ul]
[li] Over-the-counter Miralax (not any of those Rx preps like GoLytely or Colyte, etc.) This is nearly totally tasteless, with perhaps a slight salty flavor. From what I can gather after reading other prep discussions, it’s those Rx preps that taste awful. The Miralax is completely bland.[/li][li] And on top of all that, I was allowed to mix it up with Gatorade. Actually, I drank about half of it with Gatorade and half plain with water.[/li][li] If you aren’t allowed to use Gatorade, you might be allowed to mix it with Crystal Light, which is a powered lemonade-flavoring. Ask you doc.[/li][li] Also, I took two Dulcolax tablets. Piled on top of all that Miralax, I don’t think you’d even notice this.[/li][li] Optional: If all the above didn’t get me totally clean, I was supposed to chug a whole bottle (10 oz or so) of – I think it was Magnesium Citrate. This is also OTC stuff you can get anywhere. In my case, after all the above, I was nearly cleaned out but not totally, so I chugged the Magnesium Citrate. This stuff IS somewhat vile, but not too terribly strong. I thought it tasted like sewage. (Think of the delightful scent you perceive when you walk downwind of a wastewater treatment plant.)[/li][li] Yes, you need to stay within 10 micrometers of a toilet during the entire prep. But other than the inconvenience of that, it’s no sweat. You will get jet-propelled diarrhea, but it’s not painful. (No abdominal cramps or anything like that.) Well, I’ve read horror-stories on-line about this, but I think the people who find it horribly painful are the people with existing bowel disorders. Best advice: Relax and lounge around your home in your underwear all evening.[/li][li] Once you’re cleaned out inside, the diarrhea mostly stops. If you have it timed right, you should be able to make the trip to the doctor’s office without needing to stop along the way. The instructions should tell you what time to get started.[/li][/ul]

Once you get past that, the procedure itself is no sweat. If you’re not familiar with this sort of thing, it might seem a bit scary – they stick an IV needle in your arm, then they ensconse you the proverbial “tubes and wires” – a breathing thingy in your nose, electrodes on your chest to monitor your heart, the clothespin-like clip on your finger, and who knows what else. That’s all standard stuff to monitor all your vital signs when they put you to sleep.

The next thing that happens is you find yourself laying in the recover room, and it’s all over.

They blow up your large intestine like a balloon, for their better viewing pleasure. Afterward, you may feel crampy because of that. In my case, I felt rather mildly cramped up, so it wasn’t too bad. You may spend the rest of the day half-asleep or dozing, while simultaneously farting out all that. Once that’s done, you should feel fine.

If they found any polyps to remove, they will advise you to watch for any pain, nausea, vomiting, or fever in the next several days. Any of these symptoms means it may have gotten infected. Presumably, this happen INfrequently, so you supposedly don’t need to worry much about it unless it happens.

The scariest thing is worrying about what horrible life-threatening maladies they MIGHT find up there. In my case, I had been seriously constipated for almost a month, so I was certain they would find an advanced cancerous tumor blocking it up, wherefore I would certainly die horribly in the next year or so.

In fact, they found and removed two tiny polyps and nothing more. As for that serious constipation, that was never solved, but it went away by itself in the next three weeks or so after the procedure.

There are several on-line tales of people doing it alive and awake. Mostly, they seem to agree with Dobbs: It’s unpleasant, but not horribly so, they all seem to say. The following thread (one of the ones that I listed above) contains a collection of alive-and-awake stories:

Colonoscopy while conscious: what’s the discomfort? ( Machine Elf 01-04-2012 )

Yeah, I suffered through diverticulitis with some micro perforations earlier this summer. Usually, from what I understand, you don’t get a colonoscopy until you hit 50. I just turned 46 but the doctor think it is for the best to do this ASAP.

I am nervous because nothing has been the same since all the antibiotics I had to take.

Moved from MPSIMS to IMHO, home of medical threads.

I know I did the old school barium enema wide awake back in the mid 90s, and the only uncomfortable part other than feeling like I drank Lake Erie was the hard table surface and having to roll around and hold poses to get the barium in all the nooks and crannies. Would it be much worse than this?

Forgot to mention:

If you’ll be doing the prep on Sunday, don’t have the salad Saturday night. Prep is more likely to succeed if you start avoiding high-fiber foods at least two days (three is better) before the procedure.

It is ironic–normally you should eat high-fiber food for the good of your bowel, but when it’s time to inspect your bowel it’s better to take a vacation from that stuff. But it is better; the less bulk is in your gut, the easier it is to clean out.

It’s worth being prepared to take the day after the colonoscopy off too. I had the procedure with full anesthesia and the next day I just napped off and on. And ate. And drank sodas.

As far as the prep, I followed the instructions to the letter. Took the day off before the ‘procedure’ just in case of explosive ejecta. i didn’t have that. In fact I thought it was pretty tame. The doctor told me there’s a lot of variation.

I don’t know about having it without anesthesia. I don’t like any gut discomfort at all. Maybe next time I’ll try the Valium route.

probably half the traffic on the board is stuff going in or out of your body in one form or another.

maybe this should be a [del]sticky[/del] runny.

For me, the worst part of the procedure was forcing myself to drink the laxative. Even if you mix it with Gatorade or lemonade. it’s just really nasty stuff.

You rang?

Oh.

Are you sure you don’t want to rephrase that sentence? Please?

Oooh, I’ll be interested to hear how the Pico Salax works for you. It’s just been approved here in the US and I’ve got a box of it (called Prepopik, I think) on hand for my own experience in 3 weeks.

I’m a “frequent flier”, having had a “while we’re at it, do both ends” colonoscopy 3+ years back when they wanted to check out the northern end of the guts (nothing there, but down south, “wouldn’t have wanted to let that go another 5 years”). So I’m looking at my 5th scope.

I’ve used OmniPrep (horse pills) in the past but that’s proven to be “the gift that keeps on giving”, as in I’m having to run to the bathroom every 3 minutes even in the damn waiting room (and AFTER I’M HOME). Egad. So when this stuff was approved, I was thrilled. Doc says he’s tasted it and it’s not bad.

I’m of the opinion that the doctors that prescribe the gallon-o-glurge preps without putting any thought into it are being deliberately cruel.

OK, re the experience itself: Yes, the prep is the worst part. Dunno how things will work with the pico-salax but typically my gut would start rumbling about an hour after downing the last dose of horse pills, and keep “going” for 4-5 hours. Naturally, if I just sat on the toilet, nothing would happen - I had to get up and leave the bathroom. My gut is stoopid.

I assume you have a split-dose prep (half the night before, half the morning of). If so, do it that way - don’t try to do it all the day before. It really does make a difference.

Actually what I read on the interwebs is that you should NOT eat a lot of food the day before the liquid diet. As in, less in = less out and your gut will be done sooner. This may be the reason why my first prep didn’t “keep on giving” and took less time to complete: the doctor had me do two days clear liquids*, and a Dulcolax at the end of the first day of clear liquids (i.e. on a Saturday evening).

Oooh - just remembered something. You’re put on a “low residue” diet for several days beforehand. No raw veg, fruit with peel, high-fiber cereal, etc. This has the expected effect on your digestion (the oh-so-painful calm before the storm). I’ve learned to take a small dose of Miralax each day during that time to minimize the, um, “brickitude” that otherwise ensues. As Miralax is the same ingredient that makes the gallon-o-glurge do its thing, it is NOT a problem.

In any case, I had no issues with :confused::eek::mad: that time around.

*Which, by the way, was why I committed my first (and to my knowledge only) Federal crime. We were flying home that day. I bought bottles of juice at the airport. The flight was a little bumpy at first, we were in bulkhead seats so my stash was in the overhead bin, and I was starting to feel ill from hunger. So while the attendant wasn’t watching, I quickly stood up, grabbed my juice, and sat back down before I got caught :D.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! I’ve read that before, and have been frantically trying to find it ever since. See, I have decided to always go in with a funny story or joke… and was hoping to use this one this time around :).

Here’s what I said right after I had one earlier this year. (Note that this is post #42 in the “Tell Me About Your Colonoscopy” thread that’s fifth from the bottom of the list in post #19.)

After re-reading the prep instructions that I got from the doctor, I am going to have the steak on Saturday.

The instructions say to stay on clear liquids the day before. It also says to take a laxative on the Sunday at noon and the first dose of Pico-Salax at 5 PM.

I will probably take a laxative before bed on Saturday.

I SHOULD have one…but I’m too scared. I have a very, very deep and strong phobia about being put to sleep/being put out of my mind (I.E. Given twilight drugs). Extreme fear.

That’s interesting. I actually look forward to being put under general anesthesia or conscious sedation (which is what they usually use for colonoscopies). I don’t particularly like being conscious—that’s not a joke—and the kind of unconsciousness you get with these drugs is like taking a vacation from yourself.

Most people find conscious sedation to be less frightening than general anesthesia because they actually can be awakened if necessary. I woke up several times during my colonoscopy; they couldn’t put me deep enough under because my blood pressure was too low. I just happily dozed off again.

You might want to remind yourself that choosing not to have a colonoscopy under relatively mild sedation could ultimately lead to having an urgent open colon resection (with or without colostomy), which would require hours under general anesthesia. I have to play mind games like that sometimes to inspire myself to do something I find terrifying.

One little thing that was helpful to me: If you ask, nurses or assistants will usually provide little flavored mouthfresheners that look like foam on a stick. You don’t eat it. You use it like a toothbrush and it helps with dry mouth.

You do NOT have to be put under if you don’t wish to. Several stories in the linked threads deal with people having the procedure w/o sedation. It sounds like it’s unpleasant, but not intolerable. And the bonus is you can drive yourself home afterward.

You could take a mild sedative beforehand if you like. I’ve taken Halcion prior to dental work and I’m not sleeping, but very very relaxed - makes it a lot more tolerable. No driving then, of course.