Confused and chastened by Tubadiva

I also agree, that thread shouldn’t have been closed. I’ve seen a lot worse here. But that’s just my humble opinion. :slight_smile:

So, are genitalia absolutely off-limits, or just their functioning?

Anything else we should know before opening any more threads?

It will always come down to a matter of opinion, my opinion being that I pretty much agree with the new policy. I think the only time I have ever emailed a mod to complain about a thread was about a sex toy thread which was over the top.

I tend not to post in, or even open, “How many times do you orgasm?” or “Poop Question” threads. This doesn’t make me a prude (at least I hope not: Look —> Tits out for the lads!! PHWOOOOAR,eh? :slight_smile: ), but I opened Scylla’s one because the title amused me. I wasn’t offended by its contents either. The posts in it reflected the good humour of the OP.

The mods/admins have moved the goal posts. They have moved them to a better position, IMHO. They were right to do that. They moved them without telling us. They were wrong to do that. Scylla is right to be upset about this - I would have been too. He was made an example of in a way which was unfair. However, TubaDiva is a woman with her head screwed on pretty damn straight, so I think we should all give her the benefit of the doubt in that maybe she just overlooked telling us about the new policy, or maybe she genuinely didn’t think it was that important, and that it wass enough that it be implied.

Scylla, you copped the rough end of the pineapple and that sucks, but you probably don’t need to read too much into this. I’m sure it wasn’t a personal attack. Wrong place at the wrong time, and all that, old boy.

Oh, I’m not too worried about it.

I’m sure there’s a simple explanation.

Maybe Tuba was just feeling a little testy, today.

…and just exploded.
How could I not sympathize?

Okay!

:: Jodi takes the girls out ::

(sound of lonely cricket chirping)

:: Jodi puts the girls back ::

I might, too, if I knew what it was. I’m a bit surprised that a mod or admin hasn’t come along yet to clear it up. The delay makes me think that the adminstration itself isn’t completely clear on what the new rules are. I suspect that the mods and admins are debating the exact parameters of this new policy even as we, err, type.

Scylla It’s quite good of you to accept my challenge in Esprix’s thread and take one for the board but don’t you think you’ve done enough for one day? :wink:

Huh huh- “feeling a little testy.” Huh huh.

I don’t get it. I’m completely lost-we’re a board dedicated to a column that has discussed:

-How many calories in the average ejaculation
-The sexuality of pigs
-Chastity belts
-Eunuchs and how they’re um, made

So why was THIS over the top?

oh, and grienspace, get over yourself. :rolleyes:

In the realm of moderator actions, closing a thread isn’t much. If someone got banned, or their post was erased forever, I could see feeling chagrined. But a closed thread will simply sink a little faster, and won’t get new comments. Feh. People can still read it while it lasts, or search for it later. No one’s voice has really been seriously trammelled, especially when it’s not a topic that inspires heated intellectual debate.

Mods are mods, they work for free and we post for free. If they want to close a thread just because they don’t like blondes with big tits who wear glasses on Wednesdays, that is their right. JMHO, of course, speaking as blonde with big tits and glasses.

It’s not just the closing of a thread, but I think it’s a bit of abuse of power to take a shot at the person before closing the thread.

I agree that Tubadiva must have been having a bad day, but this was pretty bad. She left the impression that Scylla was some over-the-top idiot posting outrageous threads without any sense of judgement. And no rebuttals allowed, thank you. I don’t think I’d take that sitting down either.

If there’s a new policy, fine. If that conflicted with a thread that had taken up a bunch of people’s time, then the moderator should have been the one apologizing for closing it. Tuba’s message should have been something like this:

"Guys, I’m sorry to have to do this, but I’m going to close this thread. We are trying to clean the place up a bit, and threads like this just aren’t allowed. Sorry we didn’t have time to make the policy clear before this action, and I hope everyone understands. "

A closure message like that would have avoided this whole mess.

So blueangel was 12? So why is he/she here? I could have sworn that I have seen admins, including TubaDiva state that the minimum age for registration is 13. I have seen one or two parents who are members being told that their kids could not register until they hit 13, even though the parents monitored their children’s SDMB viewing.

Checking the registration agreement:

It’s been said more than once, by members, mods and admins, that this is not a children’s MB. I sincerely hope that they aren’t going to try to turn it into one.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rampant rolleyes escalation, inevitably leading to an arms race.

Face race.

Whatever.

If TubaDiva wants to upgrade the “tone” of the board it would be good form to let the other board members in on the new policy direction. If messy, racy, just for fun posts like Scylla’s are going to be locked down and vilified because they are deemed too offensive I don’t really think it bodes that well for the board direction overall.

There are posted plans afoot to more tightly control the content of Pit postings and now this. People initially come here to get answers, they stay here and contribute because they feel comfortable among their fellow inquisitive peers and revel in the freedom to ask about, and comment on, practically anything.

Erections and masturbation and sexual frustration are core elements of life, and if these are going to be banned topics you really have wonder what is next. People here generally know enough not to publish hard core erotica on the SDMB and keep interpersonal board flirtation well within acceptable limits.

In retrospect I think the thread was locked down becase of the implicit power of erections. It’s interesting that male sexual frustration is more humorous than female frustration. If some female poster started a thread entitled “My clit is sooo hard!” and then went on to detail how horny and frustrated she was because she was used to a good ride and coming at least once a day, and the temporary absence of her hard working boyfriend was preventing this, I think there would be a lot of posters (esp female posters) asking the mods to close that thread.

Behold the power of tumescence!

As far as I can tell, the administration here invites polite comments on their actions, whether positive or negative. I take that to mean that while we are all ultimately bound to respect their actions, we can comment freely on them. With that said, I’d comment that the quote in question was rather over the top. I’d like to see the board administered a little more tactfully than that in the future. I mean, I’m not about to go running away crying over that sort of thing, but if my opinion is at all taken into account, let me be on record as saying that I wouldn’t like to see the board administered like that in most cases.

That was an odd thread to close in the name of ‘raising the tone.’ It made me laugh, and had serious issues (sperm count) behind it. I personally wouldn’t have worried about a twelve-year-old reading that thread.

The minimum age for registration may be 13, but they can still read any thread - so since pretty much anyone of any age can read these threads, I’m with you - I hope they’re not going to try to “clean” up this place to make it completely acceptable to every person of every age.

call me nieve but im kinda new here , Who is this blueangel and what happened ? all i seem to get is that blueangel was 12

I, too, am baffled by this new secret policy. And if the new secret policy means that relatively inoffensive threads like Scylla’s are unacceptable, I won’t be a happy bean.

There might be something going on that we don’t know about. The content and tone of Tuba’s comments really surprised me.