Customers called "Fat Girls" on receipt at restaurant

Because compensation, duh.

There’s no humiliation can’t be overcome by getting your mug on TV (hooray for widescreen!)

Seriously though, if a waiter is going to call customers names he should at least do what doctors do and use abbreviations. It’s much safer.

Also, notice it says “Guests: 1”. Was the “me and my two friends” story just a ruse to hide her three-tri-tip dinner? :wink:

And they weren’t charged with theft of services?

And what would have happened if they were males? Would there still be a news story?

This is disgusting. Yes, the bartender was an asshole. However, the females still had to pay for the services (food).

Trust me. If it were guys, no one would care.

I agree Jeff was lame-brained, and a discount of, say, 50% seems OK. But I find the whole story astounding! These chubby ladies are now “emotionally scarred” ?? :smack: The manager offered them $13 off; did they call the news station just to make sure they got another $13 ? :smack:

Part of my confusion may be due to some other cultures (e.g. Thai) being much more candid than Americans. I’ve a slight pot-belly, and often have people I barely know asking if I’ve been drinking too much beer … or even ask how many months pregnant I am! :cool:

They have to “live with the memories”!

I’m sure making sure the entire nation is alerted to their fatness will be just the balm that eases those memories. :rolleyes:

I’m not surprised that waitstaff could and do have all sorts of possibly rude nicknames for customers among themselves. But writing it on the bill crosses the line to being offensive to the customer. Simple as that.

Besides, it’s stupid. What if another table of “fat girls” came in? Why not just label the tables with numbers? Table 18 is Table 18 no matter who sits there.

Finally, on the art of being rude: if Jeff was gonna be a jerk, he might as well go all the way. When they complained about the bill being labeled “Fat Girls”, he should have apologized profusely, then given them a corrected bill with a discount reading “Fat Women”.

Brother needed to use some creative abbreviations, such as those used in the medical field.

I wonder…has any patient ever taken umbrage after having seen ‘ABITHAD’ on his chart?

ETA: robardin, if he REALLY wanted to be creative, he would have takne great pains to apologize for the restaurant’s inadequate portions.

Well, at least now the nation knows they’re fat.

If I worked there, every table would be a variation on, ‘Clooney look alike’, ‘Angelina’s sister’, etc.

Not very creative waiters, in my opinion. Opportunity is staring them right in the face!

Haha, that’s way too complimentary, but a great way to get large tips. :slight_smile:

That’s when you devise a spectrum of measurement wherein these particular fat girls are point 0 on the scale and base all future descriptions off them.

That’s where the Richter Scale comes into play.

No discount required. What does that accomplish? These customers aren’t leaving a tip and aren’t coming back either way.

Well OK, but I’m not taking my shirt off…

I don’t think that compensation will be forthcoming, and most likely there will be more support for the restaurant than for them. As anyone can see, they are fat. There’s no obvious malice to it, just a mistake by a moron.

As far as getting to be on TV, well, I’ve never really understood that desire.

Contrition and an evident desire to make things right with their annoyed customers lets them avoid bad publicity. Stockton, CA is one of the most obese cities in the country. If I ran a cheeseburger-and-fries type restaurant there, I sure as hell wouldn’t want a reputation of being shitty to fat customers.

It is considered extremely rude to point out that someone is overweight, no matter how obvious it is. Are you seriously not aware of this?

Aw, you ain’t no three-hundy. What a letdown.

If I walk up to you and say ‘Damn, you’re fat’, that’s rude.

If I use that as a distinctive feature the differentiate someone from another, that’s not rude. That’s being descriptive.

If you do so indiscreetly, still rude.

Except, it doesn’t, any more, evidently. A discount was offered, and publicity was not avoided.

Is it ironic that one of the names used for Stockton, pre-incorporation, was Fat City?