Deconstructing "The Breakfast Club"

Possibly. That’s just the way I read a few scenes during this particular viewing.

You’re point about Vernon being the common enemy enabling the other characters’ interaction is certainly true. It always strikes me how the others cover for Bender in that early scene when he takes the screw out of the door. Claire and Andy in particular have already had nasty conflicts with him, but when Vernon comes in, they cover for Bender without hesitation. That early scene is a great indicator of the larger theme that the film makes more clear later…that these characters are more alike than they think, and that their differences are in reality pretty small, and are only as substantial as they choose to make them.

I think you’re falling into Allison’s trap. Sure, Andy’s failed to penetrate to Allison’s true self, but that black shit on her face didn’t get there by accident – she uses it as a mask to distance herself. (If I make myself look like shit then of course no one will think I’m pretty, but that’s better than trying and failing.) It’s not that Allison has maturely rejected the arbitrary contemporary notions of beauty – she’s embraced them but feels she’s not good enough to play on Claire’s field. So she drops out.

–Cliffy

BTW, Paul Gleason gamely reprises his role as Dick Vernon in a scene from the excellent TeenCom spoof Not Another Teen Movie, which successfully parodies every single teen film from Sixteen Candles on.

–Cliffy

Cliffy, I think you’re right that Allison is hiding behind the black shit, but I think it’s also a big shout out for attention. It’s and obvious gambit, like a permanent sulk, that thing people do when they want someone to ask them what’s wrong but don’t come right out and tell you. After all, she’s a teenager whose parents ignore her, so she’s used to laboring in obscurity and being passive-aggressive. She just wants someone to SEE her under all that black shit and reach out. It finally works out for her in The Breakfast Club because the playing field is leveled for the first time.

I don’t know… it’s definitely true that Bender is the first one to verbalize how screwed up his life is, but I think Allison wears her issues right on her sleeve too. The whole “I’m a freakshow” bit is a veiled invitation for someone to notice her and ask what’s wrong. When they don’t, she dumps her entire purse out and tells everyone she’s ready to run away. I think a lot of it in this situation is her trying to get Andy’s attention the only way she knows how… though by the end, Claire shows her another way to go about it.

The rest of them open up fast enough when given the slightest opportunity, and ALL of their facades are a lie. I think that’s one of the big lessons of the movie, and of life in general… most people are acting out characters they’ve made up to cope with the world.

Query: How could Breakfast Club Molly Ringwald do that lipstick trick?

I could understand how Malicious Molly Ringwald (yum!) could do it, but back in her BC days…

-Joe

See? that’s what I get for trying to do names from memory. I meant I had several teachers like that idiot of a teacher…

:wally (to me, of course).
:slight_smile:

Moe --I agree that Bender is the catalyst–but my point is that that doesn’t make him immune to foibles and his own unexamined agenda. He is looking to survive, any way he can. He and Claire are perfect for one another’s “agendas” at the end.

What agenda of Bender’s is Claire advancing? I think any ties to her will show him up as a hypocrite. She represents everything he’s supposed to scorn and reject. If he shows that he cares about her and what she thinks, where is his rebel image? Unless he wants to be seen as defiling her by his heavy metal vomit friends, which surely he could spin if he wants to. Would Claire be OK with that? She might think so at first, but I think she’s too much of a priss in the end to handle the gossip that would ensue.

If I had to guess Bender’s agenda – and Moe, I could be totally wrong, but just wanted to take a stab – I think he just needs someone, ANYONE to make him feel like he belongs. I actually don’t think he has any friends. His dad flicks lit cigarettes at his face and he comes to school to ESCAPE. But I don’t think he ever mentions any friends. Claire, to him, is the beautiful perfect life that he somehow (in the deepest part of him) hopes for. She brings him the beauty of life he never gets to see. JMHO. I mean, it’s only a movie :wink:

I can’t relate to it for several reasons.

First, the fact that everyone’s white. Now, I’m not saying Hughes should have tokenized an existing character; that wouldn’t have worked. But my high school was very racially diverse, and as such, no one was just a jock, just a princess, thug, or whatever. No one was just rich or poor, just popular or not. The fourth factor was always race, whether you were black, white, Mexican or “miscellaneous”, as Reverend Lovejoy would say, and nobody was just their race, either. There were basic social groupings, sure, but there were all kinds of subdivisions, based on whether you were black from the projects or black from the suburbs, an Asian malljammer or an Asian Smart Kid, a white person who was willing to cross over or a white person who used the n-word, a Mexican who stuck to the Mexican group or a Mexican who tried to assimilate. There’s no way you could have put five kids in a room at my school and had every social group represented.

BC just seemed like a dream world to me. If you want to see my high school, rent “Zebrahead”. Except that I’m white, I’m the Asian girl in the last scene, sighing, “Everything with you is race. Race, race, race…” And there were plenty of kids at my school who replied, as the black guy did, “That’s right, because everything IS race!” We didn’t have guns yet, but we had gangs (all of them segregated by race). There were skirmishes, and a couple times, the police had to be called. And this was Joliet, IL, which the last time I looked was in the Midwest. Maybe our town and school were just an anomaly; I dunno. But none of our conflicts were as simple as “You have money and I don’t” or “I hate jocks”. And for that matter, all-day detention would probably have been supervised by the one big ornery brother of a dean. Bender wouldn’t have dreamed of giving him a hard time.

Next, the character interactions.

Bender vs. Claire
I must be the only person who didn’t hate Claire. In the first place, I can’t get a handle on her. The character was originally supposed to be a rah-rah, sweater-wearing type, but somewhere along the line, she got changed to uber-rich and sophisticated. And the result is that she just doesn’t seem like she belongs in high school at all. I can’t see her wanting to be prom queen, because it’s so plebian. Hughes said in an interview that he didn’t have any sympathy for Claire, because she was based on the kind of girl he knew in high school who would have told him to get lost. So she’s not really a character; she’s a woman-shaped target for [del]Hughes[/del] Bender to fire his aggression and resentment at.

I hear so many people say, “I knew girls just like her,” but again, I didn’t. I knew some truly “mean girl” types, and if she’d been like that, I would have been rooting for her to get a taste of her own medicine, but Claire’s not like that. I knew some annoying muffinheads who needed to have their eyes opened, but though Claire is uppity, she’s not stupid. If she avoids people like Bender, it’s probably for a reason. And the people I knew who were most like her were my friends in senior year: the ones who’d pretty much outgrown high school and were looking ahead. Those were the ones I was thinking of when Bender goes off on her, and that’s why I was not on his side. But if one of those girls had been in this situation, it wouldn’t even have gone as far as it did. They probably would have responded with frosty silence or “Well, what are you DOING to help yourself?”

And in the second place, I empathize with her, even if I don’t sympathize. I don’t see one damned thing she’s done to deserve Bender’s wrath. Is she the one who physically pushes other people around? Is she a vandal? I just don’t see what she does that is so terrible. She’s not rude to Brian or Alison, though someone in her position easily could be. She doesn’t like having paper wads thrown at her head – whatta bitch! I can understand Bender having some resentment against her for her circumstances, but not to that extent. It’s not a zero-sum game; her having diamond earrings is not the reason his family is dysfunctional. And the remark about her mother was way, WAY out of line. He takes it too far, and yet we’re all supposed to cheer for him.

And so much is made of Claire allegedly using Bender. Yeah, like he’s so gentlemanly. “We’ll get the prom queen impregnated.” He’s not interested in her either; he wants to use her and throw her away. Women are attracted to men who treat them like shit, and that may well apply to the girls whose photos are in Bender’s wallet. I shudder to think of the scene in Bender’s basement when he finds out that Claire still doesn’t think she owes him her body. Of course she wasn’t given a chance to defend her position during the “Have you ever done it?” scene. It couldn’t possibly be that she doesn’t want to get pregnant, doesn’t want to be used, wants to wait for the right guy, or simply feels that it’s her choice to make. No, she’s the one hurting others by not putting out, and she should be ashamed of herself. What she wants or needs means nothing. Bring on the Spur Posse.

Bender vs. Andy
And so much is made of Andy’s remark to Bender. I’m beginning to think that there are two versions of this film. I saw the one where Bender walked in, intimidated Brian, spit, made obnoxious noises, threw a paper wad at Claire, taunted her and Andy, after which Andy said “You don’t even count.” Other people must have seen the version where everyone walked in, sat in silence for a minute, and then Andy turned around and said, apropos of nothing, “You don’t even count.” And nothing was ever resolved between them, as far as I could see. Don’t know what to make of that.

Vernon vs. Bender
This is another character based on someone Hughes was holding resentment against. So of course, he’s portrayed as almost entirely one-sided (although there are the character glimpses Ass for a Hat pointed out). I admit his actions in the closet are way over the line, but then they have to be, otherwise we can’t see Bender as contributing to his situation in any way. Except, he does. There’s what we saw, and probably a history of conflict that led to this. It’s not like Vernon is picking on him for an arbitrary reason.

Bender vs. the world
He antagonizes everyone, then wonders why everyone doesn’t love him. I’m sorry he’s abused, but he lost me when he said, “So I don’t think! That I have to SIT! With you fuckin’ dildoes any more!” and then threw a tantrum and ended up looking through the bars of the balcony, like a two-year-old in a playpen. Which is what he is: a big baby. He’s not better than the others just because his scars are visible. If he wants sympathy, he should stop being an asshole to others.

Some people get dealt a bad hand. How you play it is up to you. My grandfather grew up in an orphanage, where he was beaten. He was determined to make a better life for himself, and he did. He got an education, and became an elementary school principal. (No, he didn’t victimize kids like Vernon did. He wasn’t everybody’s grandpa, necessarily, but he was good at what he did.) Now granted, this was in the early 20th century, before the culture of entitlement, so maybe that’s why he was able to motivate himself. But he did. And I simply can’t get behind Bender. He rants and raves about how horrible his life is, he demands change, but he’s not willing to modify his own behavior. In the end, his fate is up to him. Not his parents, not Vernon, not Claire. Him.

Bender vs. Brian
I give Brian credit for being the only one who, while sparring with Bender, didn’t turn it into a dick-duel, but made his point concisely and unemotionally: “Did you know without trigonometry there’d be no engineering?” And another mark against Bender, for refusing to even consider that Brian doesn’t have it any easier than he does. Brian deserves abuse even less than Claire does, because she has more of a fallback position, socially. Brian saying “That was you?” when Andy starts telling what he did to Larry Lester speaks volumes.

Brian vs. himself
Oh god, what to say. It hurts to see him acting so immature and insecure; I can’t even watch the scene where he breaks down. I wonder if he’s maybe supposed to be younger than the others? But the thing is, he doesn’t strike me as being so much intellectual as just…square. True intellectuals aren’t afraid to color outside the lines, while Brian is torturing himself to conform. Is he creative? Does he have dreams and ambition? We don’t know; he doesn’t know. So it’s not a matter of his being smart so much as being a grade-getting machine. But unlike Bender, at least he knows how to play the game, and if he can get to, and through, college, in one piece, he’ll have a chance. One thing, though: I think he agreed to write the essay not only because giving in was his way of life (although I’m sure that was part of it) but also because he wanted to be the one to write it: to show what he could do. He seemed pretty proud of it when it was finished, after all.

Alison vs. her issues
I also have a hard time reconciling that someone as withdrawn as Alison would suddenly morph into a master manipulator. The character’s not as developed as she was in the original script. Maybe Hughes decided to give her more of an air of mystery, but I would have preferred to see the scene where she described her home life in detail. As such, she’s just kind of there. I’d like to think that Andy would have his horizons expanded by their association…but probably, either she’ll have to adapt to his way of life, or the relationship will fail. Anyway, her issues are too deep-seated to be resolved so easily.

And finally, there’s the way it just goes from high point to high point, with very little transition. How did Bender convince everyone to come to his locker with him? How did they all get into the circle – it appeared to be Claire’s idea, but what prompted her? Why did they suddenly start dancing? If Claire’s so image-conscious, how come we never saw her fussing with her hair or makeup (except when she was doing her trick)? Didn’t Brian want to read anything? What did Bender have for lunch? Maybe I just have too much of a '90s/2Ks, Kevin Smith mentality, but I think the drama is in the details, and there weren’t enough details.

I meant to have a second paragraph…

And Bender really sinks to the lowest level in this case. Brian is no threat to Bender’s way of life at all; there’s no basis for his constant belittling and pushing him around. Yeah, I know: Brian made the remark about “dopes who take shop”, but he didn’t say Bender, personally, was a dope. Bender did nothing but insult Brian from the word go, just to prove that he can. Big man.

The funniest thing about watching this movie 20 years on is that Brian brought a gun to school, and his punishment was a Saturday detention. That just makes my head spin.

Well, it was a flare gun.

Yeah, and he was going to use it to kill himself, not hurt others with it.

Yes, everyone is white.

In my HS (which is very like this one), in the 1980’s, almost everyone WAS white. There was a small black segment that kept itself separate for the most part. As far as I can recall, there were NO Hispanic students at all–maybe one or two Asian ones. No Native Americans or Indian students. It is very different now, but this film is very representative of its time (if you lived in or near Chicago in the '80’s that is. Chicago was/is a very racially divided city).
In a way, it is better that all the kids are white–race as it is discussed today is not a factor within this movie. What expectations the viewer brings to it is his business.

Random thoughts:

As to agendas–I am sure of none of them but feel confident about Brian and Ally and maybe Andy. Brian wants so badly to fit in (like ALL teens)–and by that I mean to be accepted and approved of-not neccessarily to be Prom King. He wants to NOT be marginalized (and picked on). I think maturing late for guys in HS must be the absolute worst. He compensates with his school work and his derision of non-intellectual things, but Brian (IMO) wants very much to be accepted and more social.

Ally is just looking for love-but she is too smart to fall for Bender’s abuse (this strikes me as unrealistic–if her self-esteem is so poor, she would have signalled her willingness to Bender. Og knows I’ve got a Bender in my HS past. It wasn’t pretty). She is trying to survive in a different way-I think she looks at Bender and sees some of her own pain–or maybe she doesn’t want to take on any of his.

Andy-has the HS social acceptance. He lacks parental approval. I think that he and Ally are a very intriguing couple with more of future (in terms of self growth) than any other. Of them all, I think Andy grows the most and has the most potential for being open to all of them in school.

Claire-oh, my. I see that the image is very strong. Claire’s entitlement is as deep as the Marianis Trench. Prom queen? Who needs to aspire? She is so self assured about her place and her position, she doesn’t have to deign to compete for Prom Queen. Even if she doesn’t get it, she is entrenched and established-Prom would be icing on the cake. She is content with cake and thinks that everyone else wants cake, too.

It’s her smug superiority that sets Bender off, IMO. It’s effortless with her–from the asking for change from the teacher, to the sushi for lunch, to the unqestioned assumption that Ally will let her be the makeup artist (and Ally does). Claire lives in a bubble–I went to school with Claires by the droves. Sadly, many of them never even try to bust their bubble, even as adults. Brian has her number when he states she’s so conceited. He could have added narcissistic, egotistical, vain, shallow and smug. And childlike, naive,innocent and thoughtless as well.

I do feel for her. She is playing with fire with Bender and is bound to get hurt. I hope it helped her in college and beyond.

And Bender? He sizes up the situation and calls Claire on the game before she does. He says something about “I’m a great way to get back at your parents”.
They’re both using the other for their own needs-whether conscious of them or not. chefjef -I agree that Bender wants to belong. Both he and Claire are very needy people. But I can see Bender dropping Claire-not because he doesn’t care for her (on some level), but out of prudence: better I dump her than she dumps me.

Do I excuse Bender his violent assault to their placid seeming lives? No. I agree that he is indeed a big baby in some respects. But he is also in a great deal of pain: he wants everyone to hurt as much as he does. For him to risk the appearance of vulnerablity is much more dangerous to his emotional well being (which is so much more fragile than the others). He lives in survival mode at all times–basic, core survival. He resents the fact that others don’t–and he is right to. It sucks that life is so brutally unfair to some and so privileged to others. Claire is the ultimate representative of that world that he can see but cannot participate in.

What he doesn’t get is that the others are not to blame for either his misfortunes or their “luck”. Then again, he is a teenager and lacks perspective.

He does redeem himself to some extent when he sacrifices himself for the good of the group.

There is so much in this film. To discuss it further, I will have to see it again–it’s been a few years.

True. She certainly wants her walls knocked down, which is consistent with her issues of neglect from her parents, and she’s different in that respect from the other three characters who would be just as content to have sat there all day without the slightest introspection. She’s more than willing to let people in, heck she’s craving to let everyone in, but they have to want in. Remember, long before she reveals that her issue is that her parents ignore her, she convinces Claire that she’s a nympho. When Emilio asks her why she’s here (at this point in a small talk way, not a confrontational way) she immediately turns the question back on him in defense. She needs someone to really want to know her.

Hey, stab away! NOTHING is only a movie. See?

I don’t think that’s it though. When I think of a character who feels as you describe: no friends, no sense of belonging, just looking to connect with ANYONE, I picture someone withdrawn, submissive, shy, someone who listens to people but isn’t contradictory since the only thing that’s important is the connection.

I’ll agree that he’s jealous of what Claire has, and the others too probably, but I think he’s more concerned with bringing them down and making them realize that every way that they feel superior to him is based on bullshit.

Rilchiam, I think if we could neatly categorize the characters in this movie as: protagonists=good, antagonists=bad, I would care a helluva lot less about it.

Of course Bender is a dickhead. Of course no one has the right to criticize anyone else, especially completely unprovoked.

But the movie is interesting to me because it doesn’t make moral judgements about the characters (or at least the 5 main characters). It’s more interesting to learn why people are the way they are, than to paint them as right or wrong.

But that’s his anger talking. Anger is really projected fear (sometimes). I think you’re right that Bender wants to reveal their hypocrisies. If memory serves, Claire is the one to confront him on his abuse and he plays the sympathy card–he shows his scars from his abusive father. It shuts the others up, but it isn’t an answer to her demand. He hedges–he survives.

Afterall, his abuse of them is based on bullshit, as well. They have done nothing to him–just like there is no reason for him to randomly destroy that book in the library. He wants to incite reaction. I think he does it this way because he can’t risk asking any other way…

The film is best summed up by the final moments of the film. All this popularity stuff seems like the most important thing in the world at the time and this day seemed like it made such an impact in their lives. But as the parents come to pick them up and Bender goes walking across the football field by himself, we realize that the entire day has just been a minor diversion in the trajectory of their lives:
-Andy getting a wresting scholarship to state and eventually working for his dad
-Bender going to jail or working in a gas station
-Claire off to private college, marry the “perfect” guy and raise the “perfect” family
-Brian enduring a life of mundane professional achievement as a lawyer or accountant
-Allison eventually being eaten by her 80 cats