Did people really think it was "Excuse me while I kiss this guy"?

Really, even though the song is called dirty deeds done dirt cheap?

The Mondegreen that surprised me is the mishearing of “the dark sacred night” from Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World” into “the dogs say goodnight.” I never thought of it as the latter, but once told about it, I can’t but hear “the dogs say goodnight.”

One of my friends thought so when we we in Junior High.

Born on the 70s, but the first time I heard anyone point out that it sounded like “kiss this guy” was on a miss-heard lyrics site in the 90s.

I do love me some Secret Asian Man, though.

I’ve misheard lyrics over the years, but not “Purple Haze.”

My daughter misheard “Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves” as “Gypsy Transit Thieves,” implying they are turnstile jumpers.

Mentioning another: John Fogerty has a sense of humor about his mondegreen. When performing “Bad Moon Rising,” he’ll sing the line, “There’s a bathroom on the right,” and point off to his right.

I always heard it as “Pardon me… while I make out with this dude over here.”

Weirdo. :slight_smile:

Born: ‘57

Older sister bought Purple Haze when it first came out (nerdy older brother made me listen to S&G’s Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme for months, so I was ready to rock) and for a long time I thought the lyric was indeed, “’scuse me while I kiss this guy.” Strangely, even after I learned the correct version, to this day, I hear “’scuse me while I kiss this guy” in my head.

More embarrassing is that I do something very similar to this day at restaurants when the waitress asks, “do you want soup or salad?” More times than not, I reply, “how big is it?”, or some variation on that theme. Then, when I get the “what’s this guy’s problem” stare, I realize my mistake and reply, “sorry, I thought you were asking if I want a “super” salad”. I know better, I just keep forgetting.

They’re blowin in the wind.

The ants, sir, are blowin in the wind

My brother certainly heard it as “kiss this guy”. He asked me why Jimmy Hendrix was singing about kissing a guy.

I’ll admit for a long time I thought Everything Zen included the lines “I don’t believe in Hell since Daniel” and “There’s no sense in your violence”. In my defense the actual lyrics contain the lines “Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow/Dave’s on sale again” and “Raindogs howl for the century/A million dollars a steak”. (At least I think these are the actual lyrics. I just checked four different sites and they gave four different sets of lyrics.)

Waiter!
I’ll have what he is drinking.

Double Scotch, neat.

Dylan, man.

For whatever it’s worth, I heard it that way too. Mr. Shoe laughed himself sick the first time he heard me singing along. It was always on the radio, Laggard, so it’s not like I was looking at the album and seeing the track title.

Boston’s “Peace of Mind” contains the line “But I don’t care if I get behind.”

I’d always heard it as “But I don’t care about FBI.”

When it first came out and when I was playing bass in bands performing it then, it was “kiss the sky.”. But I’m pretty sure in a YouTube clip of Jimi performing it at an outdoor venue, he sang “kiss this guy.” If he did sing it that way, I’m pretty certain it was because he had heard the tales and even Rock and Roll Guitar Gods are allowed to have senses of humor and make jokes. Or at least, he thought so.

I don’t think the Official Rock And Roll Star Rule Book had come out at that time.

I couldn’t understand anything Hendrix sang, so I ignored him.

Still do.

Yes, he did. Bonnie Tyler was just a bad dream.

Wow.
What about the Watchtower?