Does anyone here belong to the Freedom From Religion Foundation

I saw a tv ad for this organization ( the one where Ron Reagan “is not afraid to burn in hell”) during the State of the Union address. Pretty good strategy to catch folks when they’re all fired up. It worked on me, anyway.

For those of you familiar with it, what do you think? Is it legit? Do they accomplish anything?
Here’s a link to their website for those who’ve not heard of it. If you’d rather not click the link, they’re an organization concerned with separation of church and state.

So far I’ve received two of their newsletters, which obviously come with solicitation for donation, but other than that I don’t get frequent emails or anything. It’s definitely a cause that I’m passionate about but these days I’m leery of just about every “association”.

Just look on Google News to see a lot of mentions of their legal activism. They have been heavily involved in seperation of church and state things for a long time.

I’ve looked some, and their newsletter is mostly about strides they have made and plans for the future (thus the need for donations). I guess I’m looking for anyone’s personal experience. It seems like something that would be right up a lot of Dopers’ alley but I don’t recall anyone talking about it here.

The site has been linked here 103 times (not counting yours). Search ffrf.

Also lots of hits for the full name.

Well dayum. I didn’t see anything relevant but I was looking under the full name. Thanks for pointing it out. I honestly don’t know how I missed all the references.

Title changed at request of OP

They’re highly regarded in the Atheist community. I have friends who donate every year (religiously!) come hell or high water. If I had extra bucks, I’d send them over. I’m delighted to hear they’re putting up effective TV advertising.

Just looked to see if Dan Barker was still head of the ffrf (he is). He’s had a few mentions here, too. (Only one by me.) His book Losing Faith in Faith is one of the foundational books from the early days of “New Atheism”. (I was already an atheist when I read it in the early 1990s, but it has put a wedge in the faith of a lot of Christians, from their own mention after becoming former Christians.)

I am a member and donate regularly because I support their philosophy and legal pursuits.

I know about them and support their efforts, but not a member.

Thanks @puzzlegal , I will try to be more specific in my OPs in the future.

Thanks all for the responses. When the smartest peeps I know vouch for it, I feel safe in donating / getting involved.

I am or was a member. I got a membership. It got me access to some products including a mildly amusing comic book I bought. But I didn’t find much about being a member that I valued. Offhand I don’t remember how long membership lasts or whether I let them automatically renew, thus the “am or was”.

What I value is the work they do. For me, simply donating, or paying for membership, feel equivalent.

BTW I really like Ron Reagan, and I too am not afraid of burning in hell.

I am a member. Years ago my kid’s public school had an event where they handed out bibles. After a sternly worded letter from FFRF that behavior stopped. They do important work.