Drinking Contest - Advice Needed!

Thanks everyone. I’ve been drinking more water than usual today, and just had a big high carb lunch.

I just came back from lunch with these guys, where we finalized the rules. We’re now allowed to substitute drinks. But a beer only counts as half a drink. I don’t plan on switching drinks, and I think that this will be my key to victory. JWB and CS all night for me.

Cheating will be strictly enforced by the bartender. She was made aware of this contest a while back. She’ll be keeping score for us and will ensure that the same amount of alcohol is put into each glass.

No one is concerned about the cost of buying dinner. We’re going to spend far more money drinking tonight in midtown than the cost of any dinner. It’s all about bragging rights.

I’ll follow-up (probably tomorrow) on how it turned out. I’m about to head down to our cafe to sneak in some more bread. We’re not allowed to eat anything DURING the 5 hour contest, except for the pretzels, peanuts, etc. at the bar.

This I like. Mind games.

I never said it was a reason to call someone a nerd.

I used to have an somewhat frightening tolerance for drink. My friends took me out drinking for my engagement, and I consumed somewhere in the vicinity of 21 mixed drinks that evening and was still coherent at the end of the night. I also managed to not vomit the next day although my hangover lasted until three in the afternoon. I think that the secret here will be pacing yourself. This isn’t a sprint but rather a marathon. The victor will be determined by who doesn’t puke as opposed to who really drinks the most.

If you eat pasta, don’t eat a tomato sauce. You want something starchy and mild in your stomach. I would avoid anything oily and greasy as that may come back up. I would encourage them to eat pasta with a strong heavy tomato sauce.

Encourage them to mix freely. Don’t do the same. If a beer counts as a half drink, then whoever drinks beer will wind up at a disadvantage.

eat something greasy or fatty, it keeps the alcohol in your stomach longer, instead of your intestines, so a slower alcohol absorption. I used to be a bartender and had to take an alcohol management class for the bar’s insurance. So a nice cheesy pizza or burger might help.

The idea is that greasy/fatty takes longer to digest, spends more time in the stomach. There’s something called a pyloric valve between stomach and intestines. The greasy food keeps this valve closed longer, iirc. So maybe you don’t need a whole pizza, but that’s the reason for the greasy food. If you’re bulkier than the other guys you’ll have an advantage, and if you can get either of them emotionally upset like angry or something you’ll have another advantage. If they’re taking any kind of meds that might interact with alcohol you could get another advantage :smiley: Watch what you take, btw, like otc cold meds or decongestants, also prescriptions like pain pills or anti-anxiety stuff.

Play to lose. Nurse your drinks, if they both puke you win. If one of them wins every time they brag about it just laugh at them for how they acted. Win win.

It’s almost 4pm by my clock, so you’re prolly well on your way by now…

Cen we get a report on how it’s oigng?

Disclaimers about knowing something is stupid but I’m doing it anyway don’t go unnoticed but don’t expect not to have some people talk you out of being stupid!

I’m no prude either, have drunk a dude or two under the table in my misspent youth… It’s just that possibly dying thing that puts a damper on it for me… Having been so close to it. Sorry to be a funsuck! Have fun being asshats! Everybody deserves that once in awhile! :smiley: Srsly.

5 hours is no time to pace yourself. You have the run up the score early, and hope they can’t keep up.

I don’t understand how you determine the winner.

If you want to win the contest then buy them each a nice dinner up front. There is a certain wisdom that comes with age.:wink:

I’d like to add that the dinner should immediately follow the contest so your buds can throw it back in their own faces.

…and you have a bartender who’s deliberately planning to overserve the three of you? Yeah, this is looking better and better.

Eat McDonalds or a couple slices of pizza beforehand

Drink a lot of water and orange juice (it’s supposed to aid in breaking down alchohol) before bed.
Good luck

Do a line of speed before you start out. You’ll be tossing 'em back like sodapop.

This. If your going to lose, at least avoid losing with puke down the front of you. Go get 'em champ. :wink:

If this contest is about bragging rights, then I think you need to think about what matters to you.

I saw a drinking contest at University 30 years ago. The ‘runner-up’ drank 29 pints of beer and the ‘winner’ drank 32 pints in 4 hours.
They both threw up during the contest (but carried on) and were violently sick afterwards. They had to be taken home and were off ill the next day.

Still at least they had bragging rights. :smack:

I started off strong. My strategy was to stay at least 2 sips ahead of my nearest competitor. This lasted for the first 3 drinks. Our bartender took very good care of us. It was basically full glasses of liquor with just a few splashes of soda. I finished 3 in the first hour and was completely ripped. The young Dave’s strategy was to finish strong. He stayed just within my levels. Buy the 4th drink, they both caught and passed me. I was clearly slowing down by the end of the 2nd hour. I had only finished 5, while the other 2 guys were completing 6.

But alas, I could only finish 3 more. I gave up completely after the 4th hour. Final tally: Dave 10, Dan 9 and me 8. Our bartender told me that I should switch to vodka about half way through. All of our drinks were the same proof, but she said that the Absolut and club soda was the easiest to drink. But I was not going to mix. And that was smart because JWB does not give me a hangover. I actually woke up early and went to the gym this morning.

And did I mention that our bartender took REALLY good care of us? Our bill should have been about $270 with regular strength drinks. She was making ours stiff. Final tab: $133. We gave her $70 each. She deserved it. We know her pretty well, but she tended to us in a crowded midtown Manhattan bar through Friday happy hour as if we were VIP’s.

So Dan and I will have to pay for David’s dinner at Del Frisco’s. Even before we started, we all agreed that this was a once-in-a-lifetime contest. So David basically has lifelong bragging rights. Oh well, 'tis better to have played and lost…

Thanks for all the advice everyone! While I’ll never need it again, I’ll at least be able to share it with the next 3 fools that attempt this type of nonsense.

Cheers.