Expired doxycycline - what exactly breaks down?

No. That’s from the FDA. They recommend that you break up the tablets / capsules, mix that with coffee grounds or kitty litter, and throw it away. In rare instances (and it will say so on the patient education) you should flush them.

Please do not flush your meds. The aforementioned methods of medication disposal are correct, fill a bottle of pills with water or alcohol to dissolve and throw in the trash. For liquids, mix something inedible and throw in the trash. No flushing please.

I agree with you, but I was summarizing the FDA’s statement:

Okay, as long as we are on the same page. :slight_smile:
I had a conversation once with a newly-minted RPh who felt that the whole “don’t flush your meds” thing was a conspiracy of the left-wing media, because after all, you’re talking about minimal levels of medications in water. I argued with her for a bit, but she wasn’t having any of it. Apparently the FDA and the health department are also puppets of the “left-wing media”.

I don’t know about you guys south of the border, but up here you can often take unused drugs back to the pharmacist for destruction. From It’s your health:

New PharmDs are so cute, aren’t they? All set to counsel everybody about everything, eager to share their comprehensive pharmaceutical knowledge, and filled with the pharmacy spirit.

Not flushing meds as a vast media conspiracy is a new one to me.

Also, Canadjun, my pharmacy and the ones I’m even a little familiar with will not take your expired meds. The only exceptions to this are for confused little old ladies who just won’t take no for an answer. We toss those into our broken pill vial – and that we throw away when it’s full.

This site says that something happened 40 years ago and that there have been no new reports since then, and now these drugs are synthetic. I wouldn’t worry!
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-86339.html