Getting a check deposited on my behalf

Sometimes tellers make up their own rules on the spot. Find another teller.

And I can totally understand that as a teller, it’s your ass on the line if you screw up big time, especially when dealing with +$1000 checks.

So that’s exactly what he did. Went to a different branch and they deposited without hesitation. He even asked the new teller if it mattered that it was a government check, and the teller said no, it didn’t matter at all.

I’ve seen California banks hold a 5-figure business check deposited to my personal account for up to 7 business days (not weekdays) claiming that they wished to prevent fraud and wanted the business that issued the check to have lots of time to contest the deposit. My interests as a bank customer were secondary to the bank’s concern for another business. In such cases, the only thing you can do is throw yourself at the mercy of the bank manager or their superior. I eventually got the delay down to 3 working days before the check cleared and I could access the funds, but it took the personal intervention of the firm that gave me the check to do it.

I deposit my rent check every month this way.

It should be fine without ID unless you are trying to cash the check, they may hold the funds until they clear.

I have also done this when paying back close friends or sending my parents money as it avoids wire fees or check charges.

I actually don’t sign checks I deposit with my signature unless they are being cashed. Just write “For Deposit Only” this is common when you send employees to the bank, an endorsed check can be cashed.

It has another advantage, the tellers will not try to sell you services as they do not know if you are the account holder.

I used to do that all the time. Every month I’d write my mortgage check to my mother and then deposit it at her bank with “for deposit only” and her account number on the back of the check. Never had a problem.

Depending on the size of the check they might hold all or part of the funds for a few days but that really doesn’t have anything to do with who presents it for deposit.

Good point. We were very strict about government/state checks, e.g. Social Security. If there were two names on the check, it HAD to go into a joint account with both names on it. So if Jane Smith wants to deposit the “Jane and Bob Smith” check into her personal, one name account, she was not allowed to even if she had other accounts with Bob’s name and a married relationship in the system. We probably would’ve taken your check, and if he handed me the check and deposit slip, the only way I wouldn’t know he was you was gender.

Lol, we are the same gender, both with fairly generic boy names (though Drew is sometimes a girl’s name, how many do you really know?).

Sorry. Then that won’t work. Occasionally I had some of the people ask account info, and that’s when I asked them to get their debit out.

We have a few people who use part of their real name on here, but I’ve learned never to assume that someone’s “normal name” appearing SDMB name is in anyway similar to their real name. Many are literary characters. A good number of screen names on here are from Pratchett.