God Damn It, Netflix! Where’s the Rest of Brooklyn 99?

Just seasons 1-4? As they say on Resident Alien, this is some BULLSHIT!

Peacock.

I was TALKING to Netflix.

Keep in mind, there are only seven seasons. You might hear rumors that an eighth season was made; don’t believe them.

Fuck that. Wikipedia tells me that Season 5 was on FOX. If season 5 had been after the switch to NBC, it would at least be plausible that Netflix had only been able to get the FOX seasons so far. But this is fucking unconscionable.

This is not a new problem. Many streaming services can’t or don’t purchase the entire program, just the first few seasons. When this happens to me I have to decide whether it’s really worth signing up for yet another streaming service, or walking away. Most of the time, it’s not worth it. There are plenty of other shows to watch on Netflix.

And if they’d TELL ME which ones they don’t have the entirety of, I’d be equipped to make informed choices when I decide what to binge.

Agreed, and that’s why I’m forced to look in Wikipedia to see how many seasons were shot so I know if they have the complete program or not, assuming I even last that long.

That’s what I’m complaining about! That I need to consult a third party after I’ve been seduced by the siren songs of “quirky,” “witty,” and “comedy.” One of those blurbs needs to be “we don’t have the whole thing. You’ll need to get the rest elsewhere.”

If only it were that easy!

Wow. I watched the first two episodes and bailed. To me it wasn’t funny enough to be a comedy, dramatic enough to be a drama. Does it get better or is it just not my cuppa?

Like a lot of shows it gets better, but if you didn’t like the first 2, you probably don’t need to keep going. It’s not one of those shows that you have to push through the first X episodes.
If you want to see if you’re missing anything, check some of the various ‘best of [character]’ or ‘funniest clips’ type youtube videos.

Did you like The Office or Parks and Rec? It’s the same creators.

It gets so much better. Andy Samberg tones his shit way down, and ends up being a charmingly irresponsible goofball instead of a despicable wanna-be Jim Carrey. The ensemble cast really finds their rhythm by the second season or so. Captain Holt is one of the funniest characters on any sitcom ever; and they deal with issues in a surprisingly mature way.

In fact, in a few weeks I’m gonna introduce the Monty Hall problem to my fifth graders using a clip from Brooklyn 99:

(It’ll be really important for me to start at :24 so I don’t get fired and end at :58 so I don’t ruin the puzzle for my students).

Edit: for some reason I can’t just paste the link to embed, so I had to link text. Not sure why it’s not working using my usual tricks, but oh well.

Might just want to crop that section out so you don’t have to worry about Holt’s bone showing up in front of a bunch of kids.

BONNNNNE!

I’ve used this clip before, and I just gotta be on my game. But any Brooklyn 99 skeptics should watch the whole bit, it’s pretty great, and gives a flavor of the show.

Never saw a single episode.

They’re both very good and certainly worth watching, however, most people do feel the need to push themselves past the first handful of episodes. This is especially true with The Office. Which, because of the nature of the British version that they copied, is almost difficult to watch just due to the cringe factor.

From an unrelated creator, 30 Rock is kinda on par with all those shows as well.

Ahhh, I think I’ve seen “The Office” original (British) and liked it.

That’s the show that introduced mainstream America to Ricky Gervais.

Yes!!!