Good Nicknames, Bad Nicknames

Yeah Moose isn’t such a good nickname for a girl. Were you aware of the 80’s TV character on You Can’t Do That on Television called Moose, Creaky? I never thought she was particularly big at all.

My friend Chris’s group of friends have all got nicknames and they are all really quality. For the most part they have stuck, going on over 20 years:

Foley
Coach
Sweetriver
Leroy

The one that sucks, and didn’t really stick:
ShitShoe

Good

Nettie (a family friend shortened his previous nickname for me, which was clarinette)
Spike (my best friend says I remind him of Adorabelle Dearheart from Discworld)
Claribelle (sounds like a deranged clown to me but I still like it)

Bad

Juggernaut (um, a coworker came up with this one. I am well-endowed. I didn’t mind this one but in the wrong company could get someone in trouble)
Clarinette

The only nickname I ever had was Satan. I could live with it.

Bad:
Cottonballs

After a nice hangover last weekend, I just received the nickname “Rum Boy.” I hope that one doesn’t last.

A couple off friends of mine had the nicknames Rat (because of his skinny pointy rat like face), and Vuh (Va?), it the V sound followed by the soft U sound like in the word UP. Vuh? I don’t know how you’d spell it.

My brothers middle name is Derby. He’s been known as Derb for as long as I can remember. Even my mom and dad call him Derb. My real first name is Bob. You can imagine how much I loved it when one creative friend of ours called my brother and me: OrDerb & ShishkaBob. :slight_smile:

When I was a preteen at a co-ed summer camp, there was a dorky guy that the other guys nicknamed Anus. This was around the time of The Dukes of Hazard, so I think most of us girls thought they were calling him “Enis.” Or at least that’s what I prefer to believe. At the time I was a little fuzzy on exactly what “anus” meant, but it was fairly obvious from the way the boys called him that it wasn’t precisely a compliment.

So, Bad = Anus

Another year at camp, I was nicknamed Al, which is sort of tepid, if you ask me. Through the years I’ve been called “Elle,” which is think is rather elegant if unimaginative.

In high school, a guy in my group was nicknamed Horny. Yes, I was nauseated by this. At the time, he said, “just think when we get older, how cool it will be, looking back, that I was nicknamed Horny in high school!”

I need to ask him if he still feels this way. We’re in our mid-40s and he’s a physician. :rolleyes::slight_smile:

People don’t tend to give me nicknames. The closest one I have to a nickname is people often call me “big guy.” I am a big man, but there are usually bigger men anywhere I go.

My one boss said that I have a “big personality.” I’m not sure what that means or if it is a compliment.

I was once Fuck Man. Not in a good way, if you can believe it.

See if the ones who call you “GrammarNazi” are willing to change to calling you “Conan the Grammarian.” That’s a nickname I picked up some years ago, and I think it’s a good one. Gets the point across without any of those Nazi associations.

Other than that, and my username, I don’t seem to get any nicknames, good or bad. I’m not counting the many times “Buddy,” “Pal,” and “You There” (or similar) have been used, though.

Me neither. I was amused the other day, though, when a stranger called me “Chief” for the first time in my life. If I recall, the exchange went:

“Hey, Chief, you got any toilet paper in your stall?”
“Um…no, sorry” Damn.

The Good:

Ebie Jones

Ebie Bones Jones

Ebie-ana Jones

The Bad:

Eeyore

Venus With A Penis

Guess which one my mom “accidentally” called me by in front of my best friend when I was six… :smack:

I worked tech in a theatre for years. We had some doozies of nicknames there.

One production we had too many damn Mikes backstage, and as the stage manager I made the executive decision that I was tired of differentiating between them AND the body mics, so we assigned them all new names. One became Mac (derived from his last name), one became Kale, one became MJ (his initials), and one became Herman. I was out of nicknames by that point.

The girl who accidentally gave herself a shock with a 220v outlet became, forever, “Sparky.”

The other stage manager, who I later started dating, was actually named Dan but for some reason called “Peaches,” which was not a fantastic sign of masculinity. I was definitely the dominant one in that pairing, and I got myself plenty of nicknames. To my face I was “the boss,” but behind my back I was “the slave driver,” “the bitch,” and many many many other unflattering nicknames. :smack:

I gave a friend and former co-worker a great nickname: “Biscuit”.

He hated, hated it. And I didn’t need to even keep bugging him with it. All of the guys in the plant loved it immediately, so whenever he’d be in manufacturing land they guys would all call out “Hey! Biscuit! What’s happening?”

I used to know a girl nicknamed Biscuit- but it was because she was “one biscuit away from maximum density.” Not very nice…

My brother’s nick in the Rangers was SAW God. Yep, he carried the Big One. :smiley:

I’m guessing it was not Venus With A Penis.:wink:

:confused:

That’s one of my nicknames and I like it, along with One and Z.

Good:

B.
Beefy
buff
Foo

Bad:

Beffy
Bootsy

Names I’ve given:

Roy
Testecclesiastes

In high school people called me “Jesus Christ” because whenever I walked into a room everyone said “Oh, Jesus Christ” and ran out of the room.

Yeah I wasn’t liked in high school (also fortunately it didn’t stick long).
The only other nickname I’ve ever had was Teacups, thanks to my floormates in college. Which I enjoy.

I’ve had only two nicknames that I can recall. Good: Reagllag (yes, in real life, that’s where the tag came from). Bad: Rat. It came from a haircut, and least it was better ‘Rowboat’.

Bad ones I’ve heard:
Rowboat
Pickle Kid
Fat Boy

Good ones I’ve heard:
Battleship (Rowboat’s big brother)
Mad Axe [lastname]
The Saber
Diesel Joe

A guy in my college dorm was Reggie to the point that I can’t think of his real name right now. This was because he struck out so much with women, supposedly, although he was good looking enough that he must have been putting out awkward vibes if he really had trouble.

I got Flavor, and a buddy got Phonics, because he started saying words with F in the front, and Dave became Fave, which reminded everyone of Flavor Flave, and he was Jon, so that was Fon. I got called Flavor occasionally for years.

A student of mine (a boy) got called Dorie, because someone on the freshman football team noticed he looked a little like the fish Dorie from Finding Nemo. He just let them do it (with surprising maturity). I told him that protesting would only make it stick harder.

Never got a lot of nicknames, especially not ones that stuck. My family called me “chacho” for a long time until my mom once yelled it trying to find me in a supermarket and I realized that I was done with it. I think I was 14 or something. So that one gets the bad label. The only good one I ever got was with my friday night basketball buddies, who all called me Phenom. I love that nickname.