Hardee's new 1420 calorie "Monster Thickburger! Waifish tree huggers need not apply!

The thickburgers at Hardee’s are pretty good, although I only get them when I’m travelling. I really don’t think I need a double one though, and I don’t care for bacon on my cheeseburgers.

So how long before some guy starts calling his little buddy a “Monster Thickburger”? I bet it already happened during those R&D discussions.

You know what gets me, this was a story on the local news last night, AND on the national NBC news with Tom Brokaw. And, obvioiusly, a story on MSNBC.

They promo-ed it with “Hardee’s is introducing a 1400 calorie burger” and they talked to a few people who were eating it.

Of course they had the clever dietician who said, “that’s a heart attack between two buns.”

HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT NATIONAL NEWS?

It’s hard to say it was a flat-out commercial for Hardees because they did talk about the calories and fat grams, BUT, given that anyone eating that knows it’s bad for you, this pretty much amounted to commercial for the Monster burger.

We were shown many more pictures of a juicy burger and crisp bacon than we were of people saying, “you are a fat fucking pig glutton with no self control if you are eating this.”

If you eat enough of those I think a tree is the only thing you could safely hug.

My son and husband have heard of this. We will apparently be making a pilgrimmage to Sturtevant, Wisconsin (the closest Hardee’s) so they can try this. :rolleyes:

Could that be because not everyone who eats a hamburger like that is a “fat fucking pig glutton”?

People with physical, outdoorsy kind of jobs (particularly men) could probably eat something like that and have it burned off by bedtime.

PS: most people who are fat got that way by eating sugar, not meat. I eat an average of 1 hamburger a month, and I’ve never eaten a steak.

Hardee’s isn’t putting a gun to anyone’s head, either. Don’t like it? Don’t eat it.

Oh… my… dear… Lord…

runs for bathroom

Yup. However, I suspect that the huge (heh heh) majority of people who will eat that sandwich are not the lumberjacks who burn that off by bedtime.

Does anyone remember an episode of The Simpsons that starts off with Homer drooling over a commercial for something called the Good Morning Burger? A buddy of mine and I were intrigued enough that we went down to Denny’s and attempted to recreate it. It cost us about $10.00 each (we had to buy three different entrees to get all the necessary ingredients).

If I remember correctly, two patties, bacon, ham, sausage, lots of cheese, and a fried egg. I have no idea how many calories were in that burger, but damn it was good. The egg is what really made it.

I’d buy that. We’ve always had lots of meat, as human beings, but never so much sugar.

According to this site: http://www.fitresource.com/Fitness/CalBurn.htm

a 200# person with a “physical, outdoorsy type of job” (cutting wood, for instance) would have to do that level of activity for nearly 3 hours in order to burn off the calories from this one meal. Not to mention whatever the person also had for the other meals of the day.

Given that obesity rates are skyrocketing in this country, I’d say the trend is for more people who sit around on their asses all day (burning 108 calories an hour) to be chowing down on this - I don’t happen to know many lumberjacks. I know lots of sedentary people.

Let them eat as much of the crap as they want, but I’ll pass.

No way! Self control has merit, especially after 30! Count this tree-hugg’in dirt worshipper out of that monstrosity. I love a good medium rare steak over the coals, but that thing is ridiculous.

I’m having chest pains as we speak.

Alas, I don’t know if my bathroom plumbing would survive the aftermath of such a feast.

Bah! If I want a monster bacon-cheeseburger, I’ll just head down to Five Guys and get one of their half-pounders.

Count me out of any of the monster-burgers named in this thread, although it’s entertaining and at once refreshing and disgusting to see somebody in the fast food business stand up for their beliefs.

How long has this place been around? I lived in the DC area until about 7 years ago, and never heard of this joint.

Come now, y’all overreacting here. I mean, once a month shouldn’t be a problem. I mean, I can’t remember the last time I went to a MacDonald’s, and if it tastes good… Besides, I get 2500 calories a day, and if I go easy on dinner, or lunch, no problem.

I mean, if you don’t have the willpower to keep yourself from eating five dozen of these, don’t deprive me of my once a month indulgence. What next, the government mandating 2 hours of gym a week, or you get fined $10,000?

Well, mrAru grew up in a small town just outside Fresno, and was in the Boy Sprouts there … their big fundraiser annually was selling firewood. He and his friend Curt, and a couple other guys in his troop would crank up the chain saws, get the mauls out, and crank out 10 to 15 cords of firewood a day many many weekends in a row. His mother confirms what he has told me - he and Curt used to pack away 7 to 10 THOUSAND calories a day for about the last 2 or 3 years before he left to join the Navy, and having seen before and after boot camp pictures, he lost muscle mass while going through boot. He rode his bike every where, worked in the local rod and gun club, worked in the grape fields on the Sawall farm … and Curt and his brothers were just as active.

When I was working failrly heavy labor as a machinist [i would think that schlepping around 250 lb valve bodies counts as heavy labor=)] I used to eat around 5000 calories a day, and weighed between 135 and 145 depending on time of month, and am 5’7" tall. I was solid muscle. [well, then i frelled up my back and turned sedentary, so I cut my diet while in rehab, and it saved me from generalized system shock when I ended up with gestational diabetes that decided to stay … the diet modifications I went through were drastic!]

To this day, I eat about 2k of calories, though it is now lower fat atkins rather than straight diabetic food pyramid [that is where I gained 150 lbs in under 3 years…] and have lost 100 of the 150 lbs [but damn that last 50 is a pain in the arse to lose, but I dont want to dump it instantly, that is how yound up with flabby skin]

I swear, I’m invisible sometimes.

They lost me when I read that they put mayo on the thing. Mayonaise does not belong on a hamburger and neither does ketchup. Mustard belongs on a hamburger. When I worked in a Zesty Freeze during my college days, a burger with mayo was called a sissyburger. Ketchup is okay with fries, though, but vinegar is better and gravy is super. IMHO and YMMV.