Hardee's new 1420 calorie "Monster Thickburger! Waifish tree huggers need not apply!

Five Guys has been around since at least the early 90s but only in Alexandria - corner of Beauregard and King - until recently.

I love you.

I’d also be the sort putting away one of those burgers (not the 6-pound variety. That’s just a waste of good meat). Actually might fill me up.

And you lived to tell the tale. I’m impressed.

35 years ago, I could have eaten one of these. 25 years ago, I used to have a Wendy’s half-pounder occasionally, and enjoyed them very much (though not as much as my home-made 1/3 pound ground rump burgers, topped with Worcestershire sauce on the raw side, immediately after introducing to the pan). These days, I can barely finish a quarter-pound hamburger, especially if it’s got cheese on it (as I prefer). I’ve always had to watch my pork intake, so I never get a burger with bacon on it, and actually doubt it would taste that good to me, although I love crispy bacon-and-biscuit sandwiches. I eat a burger at Wendy’s about twice a month, at present. So you see, I’m not about to condemn beef consumption, per se, even if I think we Murkans mostly eat too much.

How-EV-er.

<slight hijack>
The first thought that hit me when I looked at the first of the links for those Can You Top This? burgers was the most recent famines in Africa - which will get much, much worse, thanks to the (fairly literal) plague of locusts they’re suffering across a large expanse of the continent this year. <sigh>

I’m sure that there are quite a few Dopers who think about “tree-hugging” type stuff fairly often, despite the anti-PeTA stance (which won my heart, the first time I saw it here). I dunno how much any of us can do about it, other than contribute to various relief agencies (those who can, that is). Here’s a link to a discussion about five weeks ago titled Best children sponsoring organization?? for those who aren’t already doing so, and who have both the means and inclination.
</hijack>