How are places like Little Caesars HOT-N-READY pizzas made so quick?

Yes
It’s only one small half-step above a Chuck e cheeze pizza

I was pretty dubious about the whole hot and ready thing. I remember when Pizza Hut tried the same thing with personal pan pizzas and I never once ordered one that didn’t have to be made while I waited. Anyway, I stopped by LC a couple of weeks ago and sure enough there was a stack of pies in a pizza warmer. The pizza I got had probably been made at least an hour prior. I guess technically it was “ready”;it was definitely not hot. To be fair to LC, it was about 3pm and I was totally prepared to receive an old pizza as I know there’s no way they’re going to have fresh pizzas available at all hours. I think they shoulddo themselves and their customers a favor and only make the offer for lunch and dinner times. Someone is either going to get a crappy pizza or will have to wait when they were anticating being able to just run in and grab one. Not a great campaign.

I prefer when they’ve sat for awhile. The fresh ones are too hot and I have to let them cool anyways.

And yet, tons of places do it every day.

Pro Tip: If you’re ever in the Rochester, NY area and someone says, “Let’s go to Salvatore’s,” quietly remove yourself from the situation. I don’t know what you call what they do, but it ain’t pizza.

They used to have a Little Caesar’s in the Kmart here. I didn’t think it was too bad. Sadly both it and the Kmart are both gone.

Finally something I am an expert in! (well still one of several, but I’m moving up in the board!) I worked at Little Caesar’s for 3 years and If the dough had been already put in the pan as it should have been (usually about 8 of any size ready to go), the sauce and cheese and toppings took 10-15 seconds. The oven from start to finish took 4:30 @ 550˚ F on the conveyor, but if you pushed the pizza all the way in (1 pan length) and after going through the oven you pushed it back 1 pan length it was only about 3:15 and fully cooked. Boxing, cutting, and bagging took less than 30 seconds. So a pizza could easily be done in less than 4 minutes and up to company standards if one were paying attention. There were other fixes like starting a cheese pizza and adding toppings half way through baking that can be employed as well. If we started to get bogged down, we just made large cheese pizzas, added toppings as needed and sold them at the medium/large price as the customer wanted.

For lunch rushes etc., the counter person watched the parking lot and could call out how many more would be needed. Single old person = 1, a couple = 1, a parent in a minivan =2, a frat boy = 2+, a parent with children in tow = 2. After working at pizza place for a week, you can predict with incredible accuracy what people will order by how they come up to the counter or start talking on the phone. And by the time a spotted customer in the parking lot gets to the counter, a pie or two could be half done baking.

Could you explain this a bit more? “How they come up to the counter”? Really? In what ways does a person’s body language indicate the number of pizzas they will be ordering?

I would certainly turn it down. The only time i would eat one is if offered at a persons house, and i dont want to offend them.
Why spend $5 on pizza when you can get a Tony’s for $2.

Okay, I’ll bite - where do you get Tony’s pizza for two dollars?

To start off with, is this a restaurant franchise of some kind, or a brand of pizza you can get in a grocery store?

You don’t spend $5 on free stuff.

I grew up on Little Ceasare’s and think it is perfectly adequate for what it is. I have had badly prepared pizza from there (under cooked or burnt) but that was an exception at a newly opened store.

That said, I have encountered two truly bad pizzas in my life. The first was from a place in Orlando that sold $5 large take away pizza. That one was so bad it went through two floors of Navy training barracks with no one finishing a piece. The second was at work in Israel. It may be possible to make a good kosher pizza, but this was not it. The cheese was like Velveeta, the sauce like Spaghetti-Os and the toppings were green olives and tuna fish.

I was with Chronos about their being no bad pizza but this my friends is a bad pizza.

I’ve had the LC H&R recently and for being a cheap-ass pizza it was pretty good for being a cheap-ass pizza. Even left overs the next day were pretty good.

I live just across the Mississippi River from you, and I, too, am a big fan of Punch. Very authentic Italian pizza, made super fast.

They are frozen pizzas.

LC is what we usually get for the kids and babysitter when my wife and I are going out to eat elsewhere, because it’s cheap and the kids like it. I don’t mind eating it because even bad pizza is good, but it’s way down on my list of favorite pizzas. Lately we’ve been on a kick of getting Papa Murphy’s, which they make to order and you take home and bake in your own oven.

The LC pizzas are not under a heat lamp (at our place), they’re kept in a warming rack. The person at the register will yell out “taking a pep!” and the crew knows they need to make another pepperoni to replace it. If you order a flavor other than cheese or pepperoni, you have to wait for them to make it (but not long).

When it comes to cheap pizza, I feel sorry for people who don’t have a Hungry Howies.

LC pizza is still overpriced at $5.

Funny thing is, most of the “bad” pizzas I’ve had have been highish-end pizzas. I’m not a Little Caesars fan, but for what they are (cheap pizza) they aren’t that bad. Ditto Domino’s (which actually used to be quite tasty when I was in college back in the '80s but haven’t had one recently).

The worst recent pizza I’ve had was from a place called Amici’s. It was a nice restaurant with higher prices, and the pizza was too thin, barely had any cheese (even though we ordered extra) and the toppings were sparse and not tasty. Oh, and the crust was burned. I hate pizza with burned crust. At least the lower end chains can be counted on to be relatively consistent.

Dominos thin crust is gourmet compared to LC.

LC is pretty meh. It’s not the greatest, but it’ll do. Crazy Bread, however, is fucking manna. Love that stuff.

Ive never had HH. Its good?