How would you set up a working fire pit on the moon?

Yes, you could probably make a static yellow flame that way - something that looks like a candle flame. Glowing embers could probably be arranged too.

But you’ll never get flames that billow and flutter. Without a pressure vessel to contain the air, all you have to work with are jets of gas escaping from nozzles and into vacuum at extremely high speed.

We might also have problems trying to cook on the Moon, I can’t find what the boiling point of water is on the Moon and it seems likely none exists … ice would simply sublimate to vapor at the near-zero air pressure … it would be very difficult to bar-b-que spaghetti.

On the other hand, it could be the perfect environment for sous-vide :smiley:

Last time I barbecued spaghetti it just fell through the holes in the grate. On the moon I think I’d use a pressure cooker instead.

I worry that the marshmallows would spontaneously overinflate in the Moon’s low pressure environment.

Terraform the moon then rub some sticks together.

groan…

I like the way you think. We’re identifying problems, so we know what to work on for the next 15 years! :slight_smile:

Dig a pit, put a monitor in it,play this video. Pretend that everyone is sitting on the same side of the fire to escape the smoke.

While I appreciate being the outdoors type, you really, really, really don’t want to be exposed to the vacuum on the Moon without a space-suit.

So it order to even enjoy the bonfire, assuming you get close enough, it’s kind of moot since you can’t feel the flame. Or stuff s’mores through your faceplate.

Maybe a specially designed hatch? Just for s’mores?

BTW- solved the marshmallow problem. Use mini-marshmallows.

But do you want to *grill *over iodizing aluminum?

Why would you want to grill freeze-dried meat over any type of fire?

However you make your fire pit, remember to use common sense precautions during the dry season.

“Only YOU can prevent Lunar fires” – Smokey the Alien.

It’s been a mistaken policy. The lack of young trees on the moon has limited nesting options for the rare lunar warbler.

And it’s contributed to the current water shortage there.

Be careful with that. I imagine if you mix the oxidizer in too evenly, then you’ve just invented the Megablast BombLog. :wink:

Actually I’d be willing to bet that it could be done with lots of trial and error. I think the key is a large volume of gas at very low pressure in some kind of diffuser. I’m picturing something that looks vaguely like the burner of a gas barbecue but much larger, and with multiple points of injection for propane, air or oxygen, and colorizers, specifically designed to create lots of turbulence in the diffuser and an uneven mix.

But I still like my idea of an electric fireplace and a Russian BES-5 RTG. Or you could bypass the multiple steps and get a lot more excitement by just opening up the RTG. Nothing says “back to nature” like roasting marshmallows over a glowing fast-fission nuclear reaction.