How would you set up a working fire pit on the moon?

If I was going to have a sig, that would be my sig. :slight_smile:

Not sure. I can’t find out if the temperature’s high enough to get a decent char.

My new nickname for my mouth is the “S’more Port”.

Our cover photo on Facebook is an astronaut lounging on the moon looking at Earth. He’s in full spacesuit, including helmet. And has an open bottle of beer in his gloved hand.

Brilliant!

(Side note - I think the GQ portion of this thread is mostly done…although I welcome further discussion. Also s’mores. I welcome s’mores.)

Would we want a separate helmet port for the beer? (We did kinda reserve one just for s’mores.)

What are you trying to accomplish with your fire pit? A pretty light show for entertainment? Generic ambient lighting? A cooking location? A source of heat to congregate around on those cold moon nights?

I would think you would be better served dividing up the tasks and accomplishing them separately.

Trying to make something that burns for entertainment, I’d go with the aforementioned fire log thingy with built in oxidizer and color additives like they use in fireworks.

As mentioned, the vacuum will take care of any exhaust gas build up problem. If using oxygen, keeping it in the vicinity long enough to burn is the problem.

Need some kind of stabilizer, like used in solid rocket engines. The stabilizer slows the reaction to some semblance of control. You want just enough reaction to create a flame, but not enough that it goes boom.

Beer would actually be easier to accommodate. You might need a special bottle to insulate the beer to keep it the desired temperature, rather than responding to the environment and alternating between freezing and boiling. Something more than a standard bottle to keep it pressurized and to have a valve attachment to hook to your suit, which could be designed with a fluid fill system to a bulb valve at the mouth. This would allow beer, water, or whatever fluid you desired to be exchanged while in the suit, versus the current method of loading your drink bag prior to getting into the suit.

S’mores are another matter. You’d need some kind of airlock on your s’more hatch, which is going to get cumbersome and obtrusive very quickly.

You might could make some sort of s’more paste in a tube that you load into a dispenser in the helmet. But that’s going to have difficulty with texture and temperature. But there are s’more flavored pop-tarts, so your work is well underway there.

What happens on the moon, stays on the moon.

Indeed. Marbled to perfection! mwaaah!

Love it.

Although, for convenience, you might think of modifying one of these for the helmet.
Another thought. Without atmosphere, you can only feel the heat by radiation only, not convection.

♫ Yet a higher goal was calling,
And we vowed to reach it soon,
And we gave ourselves a decade
To put fire on the Moon …♫

Fire in the Sky” - Jordin Kare

Smokey Alien, Smokey Alien dammit!:smiley: It is NOT Smokey the bear, it’s Smokey Bear.

@smokey_bear

As a side note, Smokey Bear is one of only two individuals in the US to have his own ZIP code, the other one being the President. Really.

Entertainment. Definitely entertainment. If we have to pick one.

This is the image, from another source… I admit it makes me smile every time I see it.

Hmmm… the earth is at least 10x closer than it should be, stars should not be visible in normal daytime exposure settings, and the beer should be erupting out of the bottle in a foaming geyser. Bad science! Bad! No s’mores for you!

As long as your rocketing to the moon and we’re speaking of hypotheticals you only need to dig a hole deep enough so that you can invert one of your detachable rocket engines in the pit. Just fire up the engine and roast your weenies.

You got a rocket engine up there. Turn it upside down and bury it in a pit. Presto, fire pit.

Too risky. We don’t want to take a chance on moving the moon. Some lowlife (I’m looking at you, bacterial slime) planet will probably pick it up.

Then build an equal sized fire pit on the opposite side of the moon so the two pushes cancel each other out.

That’s been done before.

And turn them a both a little sideways in opposite directions so we finally get to see that dark side from earth.

Hmm? I wonder what it would take to do that?