I Don't Understand People That Take Their Dogs With Them EVERYWHERE They Go.

I LIKE dogs. I say this because all too often on the Dope, if you say anything about someone’s animal being any less than perfect, someone will chime in calling you a heartless animal-hater. I like dogs, I do. But there are many reasons not to bring them with you everywhere you go, and especially not unleashed.

– They knock things over and stick their noses and tongues all over people who would prefer not to have said body parts touching them.
– They jump up on you looking for attention, and their sharp nails scratch or can even puncture your skin.
– They snatch food from plates – I come from a neglectful background and I have food insecurity issues. Having food snatched from me is guaranteed to set me off. You don’t want your dog screamed at while having a gloopy paper plate of food flung at its head, do you?
– They TERRIFY a lot of people, especially when they come running at you full-speed while their owners laugh at your cringing and fear. Quite a lot of people out there have been mauled by dogs. Some have been badly bitten even by small dogs. I haven’t, but even I get nervous at encountering an aggressive barking dog running around loose.

Everything Fido does may delight you. But let Fido do that on your own time.

Guess that I will rescind the invitation when you show up with your uninvited dog.

Between people who are afraid of dogs being miserable because there’s a dog there and people who aren’t afraid of dogs yelling at the dogs and the irresponsible people who brought them, it just isn’t going to go well for anybody.

I just don’t get the OP. Rude is rude, dog or no dog. If you go to a party and bring an uninvited guest, it does not matter how many legs they have, it’s rude. As for taking my dogs everywhere, well, of course! That’s what we have our dogs for. They are family to us, as much as your kid is to you, and most likely, much better behaved, too.

If we have errands at Home Depot, or Office Max, or most any other retail establishment, our dogs come, too. We always ask if they are welcome, and near universally, the answer is yes! There are several strip malls where dogs are welcomed into almost all the shops, except for those which serve food. We even take them into the Williams-Sonoma here, and they frequently offer samples of the latest seasoning or sauce they are hyping that day. These establishments advertize that they are dog-freindly, and the stores have stickers in the window to confirm that.

We take them to all manner of outdoor events—Farmers’ Markets, Craft Shows, Fairs and Carnivals. We started socializing them as soon as we got them—the very day we adopted them. Our dogs have won prizes as “Best Behaved” in dog shows, and we regularly get effusive compliments on how calm and easy-going they are in hectic, crowded situations. And they are always on a leash. The literature is full of anecdotes about “Husky Houdinis.” Given the chance, they will wander off, sniffing and exploring, until they are miles away.

They are both pedigreed female Siberian Huskies, and are so attractive we can hardly walk ten feet without someone saying, “Oh, my God! How pretty! May I pet them?” We have taught them the command, “Say ‘Hi!’” and they sit, smiling and wait to be petted. We take them to places like the Build-a-Bear Workshop, where there may be a dozen or more young children at a party, and they all gather around the girls to pet them. Our dogs just love the attention, and you can see them almost laughing with joy at all the love they get.

We frequently take them when we go out to eat, and can sit at an outdoor Cafe or sidewalk. We always ask first, and always thank the management for letting us eat there. Most of the restaurants where they are allowed (which is quite a few, here in the Denver area) tell us our dogs are welcome. They sit quietly under the table, and have never bothered a soul.

Huskies are one of a few breeds which do not have the allergen in their dander which causes people to be allergic, and are the most even-tempered and non-threatening breed I have known. The downside is, they shed. A lot. But moderate brushing and housekeeping keeps the hair under control.

Many people claim to be afraid of dogs. This sounds like a personal problem to me. I would suggest getting professional help if someone merely walking their dog in a public place strikes terror in your heart.

True, not all dog owners are responsible for their animals. It is also true that not all people are responsible, either. It just seems unfair to single out dogs for your calumny.

(bolding mine)

That sentence seems odd to me, because as phrased it seems to be questioning the honesty of persons who say they are afraid fo dogs. Why would someone claim to be afraid of dogs when she or he is not?

I used to be phobic about dogs, as I mentioned upthread, and I got past that through therapy, also mentioned upthread. I’m not longer phobic; I’ve fed lost dogs and taken care of them for brief periods, strictly out of pity. But I don’t like them and see no reason I should try to like them; they’re trying at best, disgusting at worst.

May I ask how you react when a shopkeeper denies you permission to bring your dogs in?

Well I think part of it is it just looks that way.

People are busy and feel guilty they don’t spend time with their mutts.

Also most dogs LOVE car rides. It makes sense if you’re doing small errands like, Post office, dry cleaners, Starbucks, 7-11 type of runs. You hop the dog in the car, and Mr (or Miss) Dog gets to go for a ride and the owner feels less neglectful of his pooch.

I found dogs don’t really care much about what they do, they just like to tag along.

I love dogs and have one of my own. But they don’t belong in retail stores outside of pet-related stores, where they are welcome. I am on the fence about outdoor cafes. It’s not fair to subject non-dog (or animal) people to your pets in places where they are not expected to be. I would not be happy see dogs in a Williams-Sonoma, and it would never in a million years cross my mind that it would be OK to bring my dog inside.

And many don’t CLAIM to be afraid; they are in fact afraid.

It is not that I am questioning the honesty of such a person, but that, with about 350 million people in this country, a significant fraction of whom own one or more dogs, to aver, “I am afraid of dogs” and assert that nobody should bring their four-footed family out in public places because it disturbs *them *seems incredibly self-centered. You did, as I said in my post, seek professional help, and can interact with dogs with some degree of calm. My remark was addressed at people for whom the mere existence of dogs is an affront, and they cannot abide anyone having a dog, and especially not to take them out in public where they will terrorize the unsuspecting citizenry.

There was a letter to the editor in the Denver Post recently about this exact issue. A woman claimed that her son was “terrified” of dogs, and people who bring dogs to a public event were “preventing” her and her family from being able to attend any outdoor functions where dogs were permitted. I submitted a reply that her son’s irrational phobia is what was “preventing” them from attending, whereas hundreds of thousands of families across America are legally forbidden from attending many events with their four-footed family members, due to people like her, and their unfounded fears.

I am not implying these folks “claim to be afraid of dogs when she or he is not,” but that, as would be the case with any type of emotional dysfunction, treatment should be sought, rather than impose your distorted worldview on others.

If we ask, politely, to bring our dogs into a place of business, and are refused, we thank them, and leave. But we will no longer patronize the establishment, with or without our dogs. We believe in voting with our wallet. Businesses and restaurants who want our business, and welcome our furry family will earn our loyalty and custom.

As I said earlier,

[emphasis added—DHMO]

The owners of the stores in question, and the managers of the malls obviously do not agree with your assessment. We only take our girls where they are welcome, and these retail establishments have made the determination that they will profit more from allowing well-behaved dogs and their owners into the stores than by indiscriminately enforcing a “No Dogs Allowed” policy.

If she and her son could just suck it up and go to an event that has dogs, your family could also suck it up and go to places that don’t allow dogs without your dogs in tow. :dubious:

And aside from the snark, your point is…?

:rolleyes:

[quote=“DHMO, post:48, topic:581265”]

It is not that I am questioning the honesty of such a person, but that, with about 350 million people in this country, a significant fraction of whom own one or more dogs, to aver, “I am afraid of dogs” and assert that nobody should bring their four-footed family out in public places because it disturbs *them *seems incredibly self-centered. QUOTE]

Don’t worry about it. As long as you’re legal and not causing a bother, you’re fine. People will declare they can’t abide children, women, fat people, cars, cigarettes, alcohol, republicans, guns, muslims, and, indeed, dogs - along with a million other things.

Just let them get on with it. As long as you’re legal and not a bother, it’s not your problem. You pay your taxes, too, and one of your rights is to take your dog where it is legally allowed, as long as it doesn’t infringe on someone else’s rights. Fortunately for us all, the right not to have anything you don’t like enter your life is not codified in any law - otherwise nobody would be able to do anything ever.

Some people have problems with dogs. It’s not your problem as long as you’re not causing an undue problem. You can, out of politeness or sympathy, certainly choose to accomodate them if it doesn’t cause *you *undue inconvenience. But if the dog is permitted there (i.e. it’s not legally prohibited or private property where the dog has not been invited), your only responsibility - much like a car or gun owner - is merely not to cause harm. Anything beyond that you can shoose out of good nature, but you don’t have to accomodate everyone’s whims and or phobias in a public place.

It is nice if you do so sometimes, though. Depends on the extent and the person, of course. If they shriek at you, fuck 'em.

The point being:

Some folks apparently can’t be happy in public if dogs are out and about (which you think is silly because YOUR dogs are perfect (yeah right) and so are everyone elses (yeah double triple quadruple right Batman)).

Apparently, you can’t be happy in public unless you have your dogs with you (which you think is perfectly reasonable).

Its opposite sides of the “I’ve got issues” coin if you ask me.

[quote=“DHMO, post:44, topic:581265”]

Huskies are one of a few breeds which do not have the allergen in their dander which causes people to be allergic, and are the most even-tempered and non-threatening breed I have known. The downside is, they shed. A lot. But moderate brushing and housekeeping keeps the hair under control.

Many people claim to be afraid of dogs. This sounds like a personal problem to me. I would suggest getting professional help if someone merely walking their dog in a public place strikes terror in your heart.

QUOTE]

There is NO SUCH thing as an allergenic free dog. Many people are afraid of heights, insects etc…To suggest that people with a legitimate fear of dogs or any other fear for that matter are being ridiculous is rather ridiculous.
You may think your dogs are the best thing since sliced bread but you’re biased because they are your dogs. I’m sure there are people out there that do no think so highly of them.
Dogs are not people and they should not be allowed inside malls and stores unless it’s a seeing eye dog.

+1

While it’s certainly your right to do so, it’s ridiculous to punish a business owner for setting a policy that makes sense for their business and that they choose to enforce unilaterally rather than attempt to make a decision based on each individual situation.

You may be responsible dog owners with well-behaved dogs, but how do they know that? And what about the next people that walk in with their not-so-well-behaved dogs and say, “oh, but you let THAT DOG in there!”

It is nowhere near reasonable to expect a business owner to make a case by case assessment, especially given the potential damage should they make an error in judgement and end up with damaged/stained items, annoyed customers or worst case, an injury to an employee or customer? What if there are people in the store that are allergic to dogs and certainly not expecting to encounter someone’s dog? Are you going to pay for the damages and potential lawsuit?

Your perspective seems incredibly self-centered and potentially dangerous to others.

I agree entirely with Salem.

it must be great in a restaurant with DHMO and her pack of fleabags. I guess it would be fun to fill them with liver before you take them there so they could drop a sulphurous cloud when everyone is eating.

The people whose dogs (and kids) behave the worst are always the ones who want to drag those dogs (or kids) everywhere, and the ones who won’t bother to discipline the dogs/kids, and the ones who won’t clean up the mess or pay for damages.

I LIKE dogs. If the owner of a shop has a dog and brings the dog to the shop, I consider it a bonus. But most of the dog owners who take their dogs around are the sort of people who think that the world revolves around THEM. The dogs don’t actually enjoy being dragged around shopping, but it’s better than being left in the backyard all the time. And the owners quite frequently ignore the dogs’ need to piss and shit now and then. Even if the dog has been trained as a seeing eye dog, and is now retired, as Salem says, if the shop owner lets one dog in, he’ll piss off other dog owners if he doesn’t let THEIR precious pups in as well. And what happens if it’s not just a customer who’s allergic to dogs, but a worker?

Sure, take your dog to a pet store. The people working there presumably expect to come into contact with animals. And take Rover to the bark park. But most of us don’t live in communities that are small enough so that everyone knows what a given dog’s temperament is.

I know. You are absolutely right. Just because the property management takes out advertisements in the local media touting their dog-friendly atmosphere, and has signs and posters prominently displayed throughout the premises saying how dog-friendly they are, and the dozens (or hundreds) of individual shop owners have stickers in the *windows *saying, “Dogs Welcome!”, and most have water bowls out on the sidewalk or inside the shop for thirsty dogs, and many have dog treats and biscuits on hand to give to their furry customers—who the hell am *I *to think my dogs would be welcome in such a place!?!

It is “incredibly self-centered and potentially dangerous” of me.

Maybe it is just that Colorado is more dog-tolerant than many other places, but this is common all across the state, in our experience. From Old Colorado City near Colorado Springs, the Colorado Outlet Mall in Castle Rock, Aspen Grove in Littleton, Bel-Mar in Lakewood to Stapleton in Denver—many, many shopping areas around the state have clearly marked dog friendly policies. They obviously have made the business determination that allowing dogs into their premises increases business more than excluding them would.

HIS fleabags, if you don’t mind. :rolleyes:

Some good points. I think the observation that a lot of toy breed owners are the stereotype here is accurate. I see these people (mostly women) at my carwashes all the time with these little nervous dogs on their laps, skittering all about. I don’t know how people can drive like that. Most of these dogs also absolutely freak out once the car is inside the wash tunnel.

Hey, to each his own I guess but I just don’t understand it.

And I was unaware that Colorado was so dog friendly.