ID this flag in the opening credits of The Monkees?

Obviously, this is one of the most important issues facing the world today.

I was watching the opening credits to The Monkees and there’s a brief clip of them wheeling a bed across a street (at the seven second mark). There’s a flag attached to the bed. It’s a red flag with two small white stars on it.

Does anyone know what that flag signified? I tried googling it but I can’t find it.

US Army Major General?

That does look like it. Thanks.

Now that that’s answered…

As a kid, I was always disappointed that I never saw the episode that scene came from. Come to think of it, I still don’t think I’ve seen it.

It looks enough like the North Vietnam flag to give them some counter culture cred without pissing off the L7s.

Now I gotta ask.

What was the gag in pushing a bed across a busy street with that flag on it? Loads of silliness, sure, but I remember the skits usually had ideas and running jokes.

Ok, this makes much sense.

I’ve heard of bed races, in which a team pushes a decorated bed down a street setup as a race course so I’d assume that’s what was being portrayed.

I don’t think the scene was used in an episode. I suspect they shot a lot of outrageous stuff around Hollywood prior to the premiere just for the publicity. BTW, that bit was filmed at Gower & Sunset where it would be witnessed by a lot of teens (and potential viewers).

Besides Micky, the only other person to ask would probably be Andrew Sandoval, Monkees fan extraordinaire and author of the 740-page The Monkees: The Day-by-Day Story of the 60s TV Pop Sensation.

I didn’t want to clutter up the OP but this when I initially watched the clip, my first thought was that it was a North Vietnamese flag and that this would have caused an uproar back when the show aired. But I checked and saw that an actual North Vietnamese flag only had one star.

I agree it’s likely they were going for the resemblance.