If your not gonna spell properly, then stick it up you're ass.

Smeghead: Bwahahahahaha!!

You guys are gonna make me loose my mind.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your own safety, please refrain from using quotation marks for emphasis. If you continue to make our company look stupid, Crayons will most definitely kill you.

Examples:

You can be our “product” sponsor!

Our “chicken” tastes great!

You will be “honored” at the event.

Anyone want to take a whack at the misuse of “infer” and “imply”?

“The greengrocer’s apostrophe” - after so many signs on fruit and veg stalls:

Cauli’s
Orange’s
Lettuce’s

The problem is, do we say “Greengrocer’s apostrophes”, “Greengrocers’ apostrophes” or “Greengrocers apostrophe’s”?

Are you inferring that I use these two words incorrectly? From that, I can imply that you are an obnoxious nincompoop!

Those are definately two of the most annoying errors I’ve seen.

Even a zombie with a flat effect would get riled up about the affect these errors have on affective communication! I’m not taking this laying down any more! No, sir, let’s lie down the law about it, so people will feel badly about speaking wrong.

No that is good. Now I’m craving a lettuce, mayo and “chicken” sandwich.

And all those people who love that show on WB - Angle.

Susan

Good one.

Fucken A. That makes sence.

Actually, gratuitous apostophes are a necessary part of the language. Without them, how in blazes would we be able to know that inevitably, without fail, sure as shootin’, an S will be appearing sometime really soon? Without such warning, our children could get you confused, making them unsure of anything in this world and turn to a life of crime, if they don’t kill themselves first. Won’t someone please think of the children?

Here here! And while we’re at it, “tounge”. Toonj? Please, show me where on you’re body is their a tounge? I’m dyeing too know.

It’s = short for “it is”. If “it is” isn’t appropriate, neither is “it’s”.

Alot = wrong, for the same reason that “alittle” is wrong.
(the above taken from another poster here, forgot who, stand up and claim credit if it’s yours)

.99 cents = wrong if you mean $0.99, right if you mean less than one cent.

“Alright” is all wrong. You wouldn’t use alwrong, would you? Of course not.

• above is possibly the only useful thing I took from Reader’s Digest in the 80s.

And one of my personal pet peeves: phase =! faze. “Nothing phases him” appears to mean “he is unaffected by Starfleet weaponry.” “Nothing fazes him” means he’s an unflappable guy.

Everybody, sing out all together: It’s altogether wrong to say “comprised of” instead of “composed of”!

Fellow anal spelling, grammar and punctuation geeks will love this book: Eats, shoots and leaves.

This thread doesn’t really jive with me. If you cant except peoples’ spelling and usage, irregardless of what is supposably the right way, than its clear you are to uptight. Grammer nazi’s like you literally make my head explode.

I’ve said this before in these threads and I here I go saying it again: when most people type a message to a message board, they think the words in their heads and then type what they “hear.”

Most people do know the difference between your/you’re, it’s/its, to/too/two, they just type the wrong one and don’t notice the mistake. Also, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect people to meticulously proofread an entry onto a message board; it’s not like this is going out to a client or I’m going to get graded on this. I expect reasonable people to know that I know the difference between to and too and that I just made a mistake.

The point is blowero, you are the one with the problem dude. You should seek counselling if it bothers you that much. Perhaps you have a real need to order your surroundings to your liking because you’re parents beat you or something.

Yeah? And? Grammar Pit threads are still some of the most entertaining around. I never miss them. If you feel differently, there are a number of gay marriage threads to choose from.

Moving on…

I always love it when somebody defends their poor spelling and grammar with something like “i awl waze wasuv teh opinyun that teh purpuss uv langwij wuz four cummunikashun.” Say what?

The point is, or at least could be, that these errors are hardly confined to messageboards. They occur in magazines, books, textbooks, on professionally painted signboards, etc. It’s getting so you cringe and wait for these mistakes, and are pleasantly surprised when they don’t occur. That sucks.

gigi, who in particular hates the misplaced modifier

One day shy of eight years old
My grandma passed away